Help please - aft VA cabins

fridaythecat.u.k.

Hello everyone,

I am planning to go on the Westerdam in August next year. Would really appreciate your input with regard to aft VA class cabins. I have done a search but am now more confused than before I started :D

I am looking at the aft VAs on either deck 5, 6, or 7.

For the Westerdam specifically, which is the best to book and why?

Which are covered/partially covered?

I have read when I searched that sometimes they get covered in soot, other rubbish or water from the cleaning of upper decks. Is this really a problem? If so, which is the best deck to book in order to avoid this?

Any other (general) thoughts on these cabins? Are they better than side cabins? Would they be better for views than side cabins for a Norwegian Fjords & North Cape cruise?

(PS. I know that the aft side suites with their wrap around balconies look fantastic, but I'm afraid that my budget won't stretch to this :o)

Hi,

I have a few photos of SC 6175 which is a Deck 6 Aft Cabin which shows partial covering from overhead. The photos are here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Westerdam/index.html I wish I had more photos for you, but this is a new site which only opened this past weekend.

Joanie

Thanks Joanie,

I did look at your photos as I have noticed that this is now a "sticky" as it desreves to be! I know you are working on the site as people email you their pics, so hopefully soon there may be some pics of VAs and not just suites :) I would love a suite but they cost a few too many pennies for me :eek:

Hi,

I have a few photos of SC 6175 which is a Deck 6 Aft Cabin which shows partial covering from overhead. The photos are here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Westerdam/index.html I wish I had more photos for you, but this is a new site which only opened this past weekend.

Joanie

Hi all

Another question, sorry!

On deck 6 with the partial covering, does this mean that people on the decks above you can look down on your balcony (like they can with Caribe/Dolphin balconies on Princess?).

Also, does deck 7 have this same partial covering?

Oops, just realised that was 2 questions, sorry ;)

Thanks Joanie,

I did look at your photos as I have noticed that this is now a "sticky" as it desreves to be! I know you are working on the site as people email you their pics, so hopefully soon there may be some pics of VAs and not just suites :) I would love a suite but they cost a few too many pennies for me :eek:

Thanks fridaythecat! By the way love your nick name:D Keep checking the site, everyday more people are sending the photos in. I put them up within an hour of receiving them.

I think that the Oosterdam photos may be very similar to Westerdam's if you want to check that out. But I do not have any photos, yet, of the aft deck's verandah on the Oosterdam, only shots from inside one of Deck 4's VA aft cabins... that is here (VA 4174) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html Wish I could be more helpful:(

Thanks fridaythecat! By the way love your nick name:D Keep checking the site, everyday more people are sending the photos in. I put them up within an hour of receiving them.

I think that the Oosterdam photos may be very similar to Westerdam's if you want to check that out. But I do not have any photos, yet, of the aft deck's verandah on the Oosterdam, only shots from inside one of Deck 4's VA aft cabins... that is here (VA 4174) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html

Wish I could be more helpful:(

Joanie,

You have been VERY helpful - thank you :)

Hi all

Another question, sorry!

On deck 6 with the partial covering, does this mean that people on the decks above you can look down on your balcony (like they can with Caribe/Dolphin balconies on Princess?).

Also, does deck 7 have this same partial covering?

Oops, just realised that was 2 questions, sorry ;)

LOL I do that all the time!!

Question 1- Deck 6, I am not sure. but from looking at a complete photo of the ship, I would say that people on Deck 7 aft cabins might possibly be able to see down to Deck 6 aft cabins. I think I have read on the boards that being answered as a yes, but I cannot say for sure.

Question 2- Deck 7, It does not look like anyone above can look down into the aft cabin verandahs on that deck. If you look at the ship, the Lido Deck appears to overhang the entire verandah.

I've sailed Norway and the fjords several times, and to North Cape twice. An aft cabin/veranda is desirable, instead of the side ones, as the view is spectacular.

When the sun is out, it's very beautiful. But there is a good chance of rain and fog in that area. And it can get cold. I would think a veranda that's covered would be a better choice, as you could sit out, yet be protected from the elements.

We were on the Zuiderdam, post aft lift, on deck 7 and the VA's there are half covered. Deck 8 and 9 can see onto the Deck 7 verandas but only the part that is uncovered. Deck 7 can see the uncovered portions of the decks below.

We were in a corner suite and have pictures of the stern portion that was partially covered so you can get an idea of just how much is covered on the VA cabins. The photos are on our blog for our Alaska cruise to which there is a link in our signature line below. It will also give you an idea of how deep the aft verandas are for that deck.

We booked a VA on deck 7 for our Panama Canal Transit next year we liked them so much. If we get a chance to upgrade to the corner aft, we will do that in a heartbeat.

I agree with Ruth C. The extra protection from the weather is another perk with the aft cabin. We stayed on deck 6 on Noordam and if I sat next to the divider, I was able to sit outside even when the ship was sailing at full speed. We were in the corner suite and the side balcony was very windy. People were able to look down to our balcony, but if I didn't look up I didn't realize they were there. If I moved back they could not see me. I never found soot on anything. Sometimes a few papers were there but garbage was not a major problem. And the view is wonderful.

We have stayed on Deck 8 (right below the Lido) and it was loud when they were moving the chairs. We also had debris and water on our verandah every morning (and debris falling throughout the day). Half the balcony is covered the other half is not. From the Lido you can only see the uncovered portion.

We have been on Deck 7 on the Zuiderdam (same layout) and it was much better. The balcony is still half covered/half not covered and you can only see the uncovered portion from the lido. Much less debris and no water.

We have stayed on Deck 8 (right below the Lido) and it was loud when they were moving the chairs. We also had debris and water on our verandah every morning (and debris falling throughout the day). Half the balcony is covered the other half is not. From the Lido you can only see the uncovered portion.

We have been on Deck 7 on the Zuiderdam (same layout) and it was much better. The balcony is still half covered/half not covered and you can only see the uncovered portion from the lido. Much less debris and no water.

Oh, I'm so confused - we've booked a VA aft on the Navigation deck (8). We like being able to walk up for an early cup of coffee and to be closer to the gym. It's sounding like most people prefer the lower aft decks. We get up pretty early, so the chairs would not be much of a problem. We always get some water on our balconys - not a big deal. Does anyone like deck 8? Are there lounge chairs on these VA balconies? And . . if you had your choice, which deck would you choose?

Thanks in advance for your answers. If this is the most difficult problem we have - it will be a great cruise!

Oh, I'm so confused - we've booked a VA aft on the Navigation deck (8). We like being able to walk up for an early cup of coffee and to be closer to the gym.

You do know that the Gym is located at the front of the ship?

If being close to the gym is important, I don't understand the reasoning behind an extreme aft cabin.

You do know that the Gym is located at the front of the ship?

If being close to the gym is important, I don't understand the reasoning behind an extreme aft cabin.

We like being able to walk to the gym - up a flight and then over - just don't like riding up the elevator for a workout, and walking up mega flights of stairs is a workout in itself! Since we haven't heard many good things about the VA's on the Navigation deck, I'm thinking we might change our cabin to deck 7 - then we'd still only have 2 flights of stairs to contend with. Actually the quick access to early morning coffee is our main reason for booking the higher decks.

• 1 month later...

Bumping up and butting in :)

I am looking at these same cabins.

can anyone tell me what type of furniture is on the deck. do they have lounge chairs or just regular straight back

thanks for any info.

we love our private balcony to plop in loungers and read and sleep, why we prefer stern cabins.

Hello everyone,

I am planning to go on the Westerdam in August next year. Would really appreciate your input with regard to aft VA class cabins. I have done a search but am now more confused than before I started :D

I am looking at the aft VAs on either deck 5, 6, or 7.

For the Westerdam specifically, which is the best to book and why?

Which are covered/partially covered?

I have read when I searched that sometimes they get covered in soot, other rubbish or water from the cleaning of upper decks. Is this really a problem? If so, which is the best deck to book in order to avoid this?

Any other (general) thoughts on these cabins? Are they better than side cabins? Would they be better for views than side cabins for a Norwegian Fjords & North Cape cruise?

(PS. I know that the aft side suites with their wrap around balconies look fantastic, but I'm afraid that my budget won't stretch to this :o)

Bumping up and butting in :)

I am looking at these same cabins.

can anyone tell me what type of furniture is on the deck. do they have lounge chairs or just regular straight back

thanks for any info.

we love our private balcony to plop in loungers and read and sleep, why we prefer stern cabins.

Just got off the Westerdam in a Stern cabin.

Have also been in a Stern cabin on the Zuiderdam.

Both times on deck 8 just under the Lido Pool Deck.

The balcony on 8 is completely covered.

There was one lounge and one straight back chair plus an ottoman and small round table.

I never had a problem with debris on either one.

I could look down and see the outside portion of the lower balconies.

I was able to hear deck chairs being moved around, but more on this:

In Alaska no one was using deck chairs especially in the morning.

In the Caribbean they were.

This was a small annoyance.

The real point is that a Stern cabin is wonderful for Alaska for the views and should be the same for the fjords.

However I found that being on the Stern in the Caribbean made no difference at all.

Actually the Caribbean experience is what made me specifically book the Stern for Alaska.

So for me, and as Ruth said, the Stern can be very desirable depending on the itinerary.

r.

Thanks for the info T-boy.

Like I said we like the quiet, plop, read and sleep .If we had sun, the better. We were looking at deck 7 or 6. Love Stern cabins to spread out

Trying to decide and venture out some, looking at Westerdam, or 2 celebrity ships

Archived