Holland America's DIY Tickets "Cheapens" Luxury Cruise Experience

RosieRuby

Not my case at all. My husband and I paid $450 for ocean view on the Inside Passage Southbound from Seward to Vancouver in 1999. Our return to Alaska on HAL cruisetour was $2100 for a balcony cabin.

Sounds like you might be comparing apples and oranges.

An ocean view cabin is not a balcony cabin.

An inside passage cruise is not the same thing as a cruisetour ( implies there was a land portion associated with the cruise).

The base price for almost all 7-14 day cruises is substantially less than it was a decade ago. The cabins on HAL are better appointed than they have ever been.

Not my case at all. My husband and I paid $450 for ocean view on the Inside Passage Southbound from Seward to Vancouver in 1999. Our return to Alaska on HAL cruisetour was $2100 for a balcony cabin.

As a matter of fact, I haven't found cruising to be getting any cheaper what-so-ever. I don't return to the Caribbean time and time again, nor do I go back to Alaska again and again. I usually cruise to new and different places, and prices seem to be going up to me.

How can you compare an OV S/B with a cruisetour and a balcony? I'm not the only one who has noticed that many cruises are lower-cost than they were in the past -- perhaps you are choosing more exotic itineraries, which do command higher prices than the bread-n-butter runs.

BTW, for our 14 day Carib in 2010, we are paying less per person than what I paid per person for the 7 day Alaska cruise in 1999. And a 12-day cruise (South America) was significantly less cost per person than the 1999 Alaska 7-day.

So that's why I say cruising is lower-cost now than it was a decade ago. And that doesn't even begin to factor in the value of a 1999 dollar vs a 2009 dollar.

To me, all this nonsense about the term "luxury" is foolishness. When I get up in the morning and do not have to make the bed, cook breakfast, do the dishes, that is sheer luxury. Being met with a smile no matter where I am on the ship all day long is luxury. Not preparing or cleaning up from lunch and dinner is luxury. Doing no vacuuming and dusting is a luxury. Having entertainment provided during the day and evening, if I choose to participate, is luxury. When all this is taken into consideration, I could very well choose to call HAL luxurious (even though other lines might cost more).

AMEN, and thank you. HAL provides all the "Luxury" I need or want, and at a price I am comfortable with.

Valerie:)

Agabbymama,

We just paid less for a 10 day cruise tour (inside cabin) in August than we did for the same cruise tour (outside cabin) in August 2007.

Well you would expect to pay less for an inside cabin than an outside cabin wouldn't you? I would.

Valerie:D

I have a concern if the e-documents arrive only 10 days prior to departure. What if one has departed from one's home, say two weeks before the date of the cruise?

We just received notification of our E-Documents today. We don't leave until October 30, 2009.

I don't have a problem with receiving e-documents instead of the trademark blue silk/leather/pleather pouch. But I can understand the nostalgia attached to them. However there are several people, like my 78-year-old mother, who do not have (and do not want) internet access. I think they should still have the traditional documents available upon request for now, or have the option of getting their TA or the cruise line to mail them a printout of the e-docs at no charge. Eventually it will become second nature, just like plane e-tickets.

However there are several people, like my 78-year-old mother, who do not have (and do not want) internet access.
Anyone can print out the documents for them ... like their children or grandchildren ... or a friend/neighbor ... or at the public library. If they don't have internet, I presume they'd be using a local TA, and I think most would be happy to print e-docs for them.

Anyone can print out the documents for them ... like their children or grandchildren ...

I realize that... however that doesn't prevent me from having to listen to "how things used to be in the good old days before these silly computers took over everything"! ;)

If they don't have internet, I presume they'd be using a local TA, and I think most would be happy to print e-docs for them.

Which I also suggested in my post, since some people don't have such loving children as me to do it for them. :D

SarasMommy,

I do understand your dilemma with your mother. Change can be difficult.

The first thought in my mind when I hear someone talk about computers versus the "good old days" before computers are the high school and college papers I had to type with multiple copies using onion skin paper and carbon paper. Except for 100% accurate typists or folks who had others to type for them NO ONE can consider that the "good old days" in terms of document generation. Unless your mother is under 60, she knows of what I speak and was an adult during that time. The IBM Selectric was the first real improvement, but even that was not in common use until the early 70s.

On our Glory cruise two weeks ago the ticket agent never even glanced at our docs. I always bring the whole massive packet- every page printed out for each person. I think only the first page counts, but what if I'm wrong, right? This time- not a glance. Name, passport, credit card, health questionnaire, hihowareyou, haveanicecruise! The S&S picture was taken as we stepped aboard. Easy as pie!

Good thing I had my retro blue HAL doc folder to hold the 80 plus pages, folded over!

E-docs are not cool, I feel like that was one thing special about HAL. Just think if you bought tix to see the Rolling Stones front row center ( the equivalent of a HAL cruise ) and they made you print some lame ticket..................no ....... I want the real ticket the one that went thru the special printer with a seat number and a cool logo that I can show my friends and family LOOK I went to the Stones concert this is my ticket................................yeayeayea this is the wrinkled dirty paper I printed at my house its my cruise ticket from HAL the number one cruise line in the world....................

Well, we're coming up on our first cruise and they sent us e-docs so I guess that's all I'll ever know... I've heard about the "blue folders" but I've never seen one. Not sure I'd pay $25 for one either. I'll agree with the OP here though, I could definitely see where the experience is lessened a bit.

I also remember when flying was actually a fun part of the trip... Now it's no more enjoyable than riding on bus and generally just a hassel!

Don

I actually prefer the E-Docs. I like that I control the docs from the time they're emailed. I do a fair bit of travelling and book a LOT of travel for my boss (I'm an EA), electronic is easier.

Now, certain airlines, are coming out with fully electronic ticketing, that reads from your mobile device, no need to print anything out at all. That scares me a bit, but I can't wait to try it.

Just my 2c. To each their own.

Deb

Me too, I have always perfer e-docs. I print my own boarding pass for flights and have shown my e-ticket from my mobile device.......I love the convenience. Works for me! :D

E-docs are not cool, I feel like that was one thing special about HAL. Just think if you bought tix to see the Rolling Stones front row center ( the equivalent of a HAL cruise ) and they made you print some lame ticket..................no ....... I want the real ticket the one that went thru the special printer with a seat number and a cool logo that I can show my friends and family LOOK I went to the Stones concert this is my ticket................................yeayeayea this is the wrinkled dirty paper I printed at my house its my cruise ticket from HAL the number one cruise line in the world....................

You must not go to many rock concerts. I have been to several (20 or more) in the past few years and all of them have had tickets you print at home. The days of "hard" tickets are gone with the advent of Ticketmaster and Live Nation.

I called HAL and asked because there is one person in our group without a computer, internet or email who lives in another part of the country. I wanted to know if they could get the hardcopy cruise docs from HAL and they told me that if you pay the $25, HAL goes to the online print screen and prints your edocs (on 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper) and then mails them to you. No blue pleather folder and folder sized documents.

I called HAL and asked because there is one person in our group without a computer, internet or email who lives in another part of the country. I wanted to know if they could get the hardcopy cruise docs from HAL and they told me that if you pay the $25, HAL goes to the online print screen and prints your edocs (on 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper) and then mails them to you. No blue pleather folder and folder sized documents.
Why don't you print them, and mail them for one stamp? All they need is the single boarding pass page, and the bag tag(s) if they don't want to get them at the pier. All you need is their booking number and name.

I was sharing this discussion with my wife and she reminded me of our last cruise on the Veendam. We got to the port and were directed to the right line based on whether or not we'd done the on-line check in. Once we got to the agent all she asked for was identification and a credit card. The only items we used out of the HAL packet was the bag tags. Neither can remember if she asked for or if we gave her the cruise ticket out of the packet. Guess we could dig through our phleather folders and see but obviously, at least in retrospect, getting the packet was no big deal in terms of actually getting on the ship.

I am so used to doing this via computer that having e docs is actually preferable. I printed my boarding passes and had them laminated (very small cost at Office Depot, Staples, etc. I then punched a hole in one end and used plastic cable ties. Waterproof, safe and secure. I am sure I can find someone on HAL with a pair of scissors to cut them off when I leave the ship.

Neither can remember if she asked for or if we gave her the cruise ticket out of the packet. Guess we could dig through our phleather folders and see but obviously, at least in retrospect, getting the packet was no big deal in terms of actually getting on the ship.
The only thing we've needed out of the packets for the last several cruises was bus transfers in L.A. ... and now we wouldn't need those any more either, since they're done just by a list.

All you really need to get on the ship is your passports. All they want from the boarding pass is the booking number. A few cruises back my DD couldn't find her and DH's boarding passes at the pier, but knew what their booking number was, so there was no delay to their boarding at all.

First of all, I do not consider HAL to be a 'luxury' line. It is in the middle of the pack with others such as Princess and Celebrity. I do not have an issue with edocs, in fact we much prefer them.

A real test would be charging $75-100 per person. That would seperate the complainers into two groups,,,the ones that want it for free if it is available and the peope who are willing to pay a premium for the service. My guess is that few will be in the latter group. Assembling and co-ordinating documents is a time consuming and labor intensive task. There is a cost to this even before we get to the cost of sending documents to clients. The economy is tough, many cruisers are looking for the most cost effective cruise. The cruise lines are responding.

You must not go to many rock concerts. I have been to several (20 or more) in the past few years and all of them have had tickets you print at home. The days of "hard" tickets are gone with the advent of Ticketmaster and Live Nation.

Being a touring musician I've been to my share of concerts ..........like later today I'll be playing a sold out show in Wildwood, NJ. I am well aware of the type of tix you get now and I think they stink...............I have tix from years past and they are cool...........my Beatles tix from back in the 60's on Steel Pier, Santana before Woodstock and many more...............tix of me playing ......they are just as cool as the BLUE FOLDER. Tradition is just that don't change it.......................

Archived