Holland America's DIY Tickets "Cheapens" Luxury Cruise Experience

RosieRuby

I felt the blue folders were a classy touch. I will miss them. However, at the end of the day they have no affect whatsoever on my cruise experience. What DOES affect my cruise experience is the reduction of staff, especially dining room and cabin stewards, to save some bucks.
Right! Far better to "cheapen" the pre-cruise a tiny bit than the cruise itself!

The "cheap" luggage labels are a joke - it's like a DIY class - you have to cut them out, stick/staple them together etc - it's crazy! Most guests don't carry staplers on their person to put the lables together!
Do not "cut them out". They will be much stronger if you fold them as the instructions state. And you don't have to even do that - just get the new style at the pier. The porter will mark them and put them on in seconds.

I think the issue is not a) whether this will "ruin" the cruise experience or b) whether HAL is a "luxury line." Let's not jump all over the OP and poison another thread by splitting hairs and nitpicking and ending up with copied and pasted quotes from HAL with the word "luxury" in them or encouragements to have a great non-cruising vacation in the future. Sarcastic comments about what great travelers we are because we go with the flow, unlike SOME PEOPLE (multiple eye rolling smilies added) are also in the not helpful category.

The issue is whether it leaves a bad taste in the mouth to staple black and white luggage tags together (YES) or whether e-docs are a kind of sad reminder of the whole "doc dance" thing of the past. They ARE. I think I can reuse my blue HAL folder another 100 times before it falls apart- or 1000 times, actually. I love it. I am used to e-docs now and I'm also glad to not worry that my paper docs won't arrive on time. But the luggage tags, honestly- you have got to be kidding me. Mine ripped all over the car on the drive down two weeks ago. It's just.... cheesy.

I think the issue is not a) whether this will "ruin" the cruise experience or b) whether HAL is a "luxury line." Let's not jump all over the OP and poison another thread by splitting hairs and nitpicking and ending up with copied and pasted quotes from HAL with the word "luxury" in them or encouragements to have a great non-cruising vacation in the future. Sarcastic comments about what great travelers we are because we go with the flow, unlike SOME PEOPLE (multiple eye rolling smilies added) are also in the not helpful category.

The issue is whether it leaves a bad taste in the mouth to staple black and white luggage tags together (YES) or whether e-docs are a kind of sad reminder of the whole "doc dance" thing of the past. They ARE. I think I can reuse my blue HAL folder another 100 times before it falls apart- or 1000 times, actually. I love it. I am used to e-docs now and I'm also glad to not worry that my paper docs won't arrive on time. But the luggage tags, honestly- you have got to be kidding me. Mine ripped all over the car on the drive down two weeks ago. It's just.... cheesy.

and I can't help it, but this made me laugh out loud. Thanks.:)

We will experience our first cruise without the traditional documents and the blue folder in about 3 weeks. I think it will be like the first time we flew without actually having paper tickets in our hands - you always wonder if everything will be as it should. Do I miss not receiving the documents in the mail? Of course I do, it was fun having the DHL delivery guy come to the door with the package; kind of like Christmas out of season. It won't impact my enjoyment of the cruise, however. I hope you have a lovely cruise, with or without the documents and folder.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Does Holland America say it is a luxury cruise line? I didn't think they did ..though I love the cruise line, I didn't think they played up that they were luxury, as in the real luxury line, Regent Seven Seas, Crystal, etc. I thought they played themselves as a premium cruise.

RosieRuby,

I agree with you, unfortunately as others have posted, things are a changing. I do have a computer and can print my own documents, but that isn't the point. You are paying darn good money to the cruiseline and those tickets should still be part of their service. They sure will send you a nice pretty borchure to get you to book with their cruiseline.

I refuse to print my own tickets for airlines too. When I get to the airport, I go up to the counter. If they tell me to use the kiosk, I plead ignorance and make someone come and help me. I have paid them money for a service, and they darn well are going to provide it.

My employer pays me to do a job, and if I tried to pull this crap, I'd be fired real quick. Cruiselines and airlines are no different, if they aren't going to provide a service, they aren't entitled to MY money.

And I don't pay my bills on the computer either. I will continue to write my checks, and place them in the mail, as long as there is a mail service to utilize. And I don't want a blue tooth telephone, and I absolutely hate getting a new TV or DVD player that has to be programmed. Call me technology challenged.

So hang in there OP, and have a great cruise anyway!

Does Holland America say it is a luxury cruise line? I didn't think they did ..though I love the cruise line, I didn't think they played up that they were luxury, as in the real luxury line, Regent Seven Seas, Crystal, etc. I thought they played themselves as a premium cruise.
There advertising states that their ships are 5-star. I think that's all. I don't recall any mention of luxury.

I don't think HAL owes paper documents when we book with them. I dont' think they owe us anything but a nice cruise when we book with them. If you keep insisting that they continue to mail the docs the cruise is going to go up. Times are tough everywhere. If they can save me $1.00, I'm all for it.

Call me technology challenged.

Maybe not challenged, since you're on here, but definitely resistant! :)

HAL isn't forcing anyone to print their own docs or bag tags. You can arrive at the pier with nothing more than your passport, a credit card, and enough time to fill out the old paper Immigration Form for CBP to process, and you'll get on your cruise.

I don't think HAL owes paper documents when we book with them. I dont' think they owe us anything but a nice cruise when we book with them. If you keep insisting that they continue to mail the docs the cruise is going to go up. Times are tough everywhere. If they can save me $1.00, I'm all for it.

Just as a reminder about how low fares are now on HAL. In 1999, I paid MORE for one fare to Alaska, in an inside guarantee, than I paid for TWO fares, same itinerary, nicer ship, better room in 2008. For me personally, that more than compensates for some of the changes we're seeing, including the introduction of e-docs. Yes, I miss the snotty courier coming with our tix, I miss seeing the blue folders waiting for DH on the coffee table when he gets home from work, I miss his smile when he sees them.

But as it stands, I'm glad we are able to find affordable cruises that we can take.

I think there is too much made about the e-docs. Most of what came in the mail went to the circular file which is a total waste. Like some have said, it is much easier to get it from your own computer or someone else's than to wait for it to come to your home and maybe be lost enroute. The blue folder was nice to get for the last two cruises but some people didn't even get them because of the travel agent they used. No big deal for us when you consider how reasonable the cruise fares are today from yesteryear. Lots of competition keeps our costs quite a bit lower too.

Bob

To me, all this nonsense about the term "luxury" is foolishness. When I get up in the morning and do not have to make the bed, cook breakfast, do the dishes, that is sheer luxury. Being met with a smile no matter where I am on the ship all day long is luxury. Not preparing or cleaning up from lunch and dinner is luxury. Doing no vacuuming and dusting is a luxury. Having entertainment provided during the day and evening, if I choose to participate, is luxury. When all this is taken into consideration, I could very well choose to call HAL luxurious (even though other lines might cost more).

E-documents will simply take getting used to.

I have a concern if the e-documents arrive only 10 days prior to departure. What if one has departed from one's home, say two weeks before the date of the cruise?

Are the luggage tags that the porters have at the pier the same type we have used in the past? I have a concern about tagging the bags at that time due to the sometimes chaotic conditions that exist when one arrives at the pier.

On my one Carnival cruise last March, the luggage tags were a "punchout" type of heavy paper that was supposed to be wrapped around the bag's handle and sealed. While they worked, they were a crumpled mess at the end of the cruise when I claimed the luggage after disembarkation, They could--and did--tear without alot of problems. Printing luggage tags on the normal paper we use in our printers is only asking for more problems with bags being put on the ship with missing luggage tags. Returning to one's stateroom after dinner that first night to find one or more bags have not appeared is not the way I would think Corporate Headquarters in either Seattle or Miami would want their guests to begin their cruise.

I don't miss the blue document wallets enough that I would pay the cost of getting one if offered that option, but if they could mail us just the luggage tags in a plain envelope by ordinary mail, I would pay that cost if offered that option

It used to be fun at our local airport to identify others going on the same cruise a thousand miles away.

The blue folder was truly classy and we loved to get one in our first few cruises and hated the cheapness that NCL edocs had...............but now after a few cruises I will miss that wonderful old folder for as long as it takes me to run onto the ship. Cut the frills but keep the quality on the ship itself is how I would like it.

Just as a reminder about how low fares are now on HAL. In 1999, I paid MORE for one fare to Alaska, in an inside guarantee, than I paid for TWO fares, same itinerary, nicer ship, better room in 2008. For me personally, that more than compensates for some of the changes we're seeing, including the introduction of e-docs. Yes, I miss the snotty courier coming with our tix, I miss seeing the blue folders waiting for DH on the coffee table when he gets home from work, I miss his smile when he sees them.

But as it stands, I'm glad we are able to find affordable cruises that we can take.

Not my case at all. My husband and I paid $450 for ocean view on the Inside Passage Southbound from Seward to Vancouver in 1999. Our return to Alaska on HAL cruisetour was $2100 for a balcony cabin.

As a matter of fact, I haven't found cruising to be getting any cheaper what-so-ever. I don't return to the Caribbean time and time again, nor do I go back to Alaska again and again. I usually cruise to new and different places, and prices seem to be going up to me.

I have a concern if the e-documents arrive only 10 days prior to departure. What if one has departed from one's home, say two weeks before the date of the cruise?

You can print them any time after approximately 50 days before sailing. You wiil be told when they will be available.

Are the luggage tags that the porters have at the pier the same type we have used in the past? I have a concern about tagging the bags at that time due to the sometimes chaotic conditions that exist when one arrives at the pier.

No. They are a long strip, where one end is looped through a hole on the other end. All they need is a last name and cabin number, not all of that unnecessary stuff on the old tags.

See http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2736387140099632937kiIcnT_th.jpg

On my one Carnival cruise last March, the luggage tags were a "punchout" type of heavy paper that was supposed to be wrapped around the bag's handle and sealed. While they worked, they were a crumpled mess at the end of the cruise when I claimed the luggage after disembarkation, They could--and did--tear without alot of problems.

Disembarkation? The purpose of the tags is just to get the bags to your cabin, and you can throw them away there.

Printing luggage tags on the normal paper we use in our printers is only asking for more problems with bags being put on the ship with missing luggage tags. Returning to one's stateroom after dinner that first night to find one or more bags have not appeared is not the way I would think Corporate Headquarters in either Seattle or Miami would want their guests to begin their cruise.

After folding they're 3-ply. If you back them with another sheet of paper before folding they're 6-ply. If you're worried that isn't strong enough put two or three on each bag to improve the chances of at least one making it. I plan to use two.

Our TA will print all the documents for us and put them in a nice folder if we so wish. I am so used to printing stuff myself that it is easier, and quicker for me, and I do it when I want. However, IF this is not a part of your usual routine, ask your TA to do it for you. If they won't - try someone else next time if this is important enough for you.

Archived