hotel or not?

stoli1021

Were booked on a Baltic cruise next year and were trying to figure out if we should fly in a day early or not. Were leaving out of Austin, Tx. and flying into Copenhagen. The flight arrives at 9:30am. Will that be to early to board the ship? We really don't want to pay for two night stay at a hotel (extra day for early check in) if we don't have to. After along flight we don't want to find our self's sitting around tired with no place to go. we are hoping we can check in and then wander around town and perhaps get something to eat? I'm not even sure how close the port is to town?? Any advise?

The cruise terminal is about eight miles from the a/p. A/p is just south of downtown, terminal is just north. VERY compact (well, not as compact as FLL!)

My recommendation would be to fly in the day before you depart. The problem with overseas travel, is you can't put yourself in a position to have to arrive on a certain day. I've had connecting flights cancel, overseas portions cancel -- and it isn't like you can get another flight later the same day. Most departures go in a very narrow frame, as they like to arrive on the continent early the next AM -- miss one, and it is the next day before you can go. So, go the day before, find a nice hotel in C'haven (I've stayed at the a/p Hilton before -- excellent, but a little out of town). You'll have a day to relax (and fight jet lag!), see a few sights (Little Mermaid for one), and have a good meal. Then, breakfast the next AM before you transfer to the ship at a time you choose. Maybe right before lunch, then have lunch in La Veranda while you wait on your room?

I agree that flying in the day before is the way to go. Stuff happens to delay travellers, and you don't want to miss the ship. No way to board the ship before...maybe noon, maybe later, on day of embarkation. We stayed at the Marriott the day before, which is right on the canal. They checked our luggage, but we couldn't check into the hotel until 4pm. There is a canal boat (tour) right outside the hotel, which occupied our early afternoon. You might get lucky and be able to check into a hotel sooner.

You definitely are better off flying in the day before. A 9:30 arrival assumes everything goes smoothly which doesn't happen all the time. In addition the Copenhagen airport can be very slow with baggage-personal experience- so you could be looking at an extra hour waiting there. I don't know your departure time ours on SS was 10p so you could be ok, but why take the chance. We stayed at the Marriott and were very satisfied. As the pp said a harbor cruise departs right from the hotel, we found it very enjoyable. In addition the Tivoli Gardens are within walking distance.

As above, definitely fly in the day before. The hotel will store your bags even if they don't have a room ready for you--just go out and explore. We have stayed at the Copenhagen Hilton twice pre-cruise. They actually had our rooms ready and allowed us to check in early without charging for an extra night.

Plus the first trip, on the Baltic cruise, our luggage was lost till the next day. If we had embarked the day of arrival, we would have had no clothes!

I will join the throng in suggesting you fly in a day early. Just too many uncertainties these days. And this gives you a day to get past the worst of the jetlag as well.

Most hotels will store your luggage until check-in, but presumably you could hunt around for one that offers early check-in, at least if available. Often a hotel won't guarantee it, but some will try.

If I lived in a city where there were multiple daily flights on the same airline between my home & the embarkation city, AND, I was booked on the first flight of the multiple options, I might take a chance on flying in the same day the ship departs. I am guessing that is not the case on the Austin - Copenhagen route so I am with the other posters’ recommendation of going in a day early.

The other reason would be to spend more time in Copenhagen. On our recent Baltic cruise, we spent 3 days pre-cruise in Copenhagen and we would go back tomorrow if we had the opportunity. It’s a great city & a very comfortable city to stroll around. Copenhagen & St. Petersburg were our favorite ports.

I, too, am booked for a Regent Baltic cruise next summer, and am using their free airfare plus Business Class. How does that work if we want to fly in a day early, but do not want to purchase their pricey pre-cruise hotel arrangements? I don't have free miles to use like some CC'ers do.

I, too, am booked for a Regent Baltic cruise next summer, and am using their free airfare plus Business Class. How does that work if we want to fly in a day early, but do not want to purchase their pricey pre-cruise hotel arrangements? I don't have free miles to use like some CC'ers do.

If you want to fly in a day early, you can make custom air arrangements for a fee of $100 per person. See http://www.rssc.com/cruisequestions/details.aspx?CatId=d005f05c-6dd6-4a7c-8a31-f808e568478b. Hope this helps.

Dave

Archived