Suites-what is the difference?

heidik

This will be my first HAL cruise and I have only been on one cruise to date on Princess. What is the difference between the suites please? Superior VS vs. VS? Superior VS A, B & BB? I am looking into the 21 day South America cruise out of LA as a solo, and I also like to spend alot of time in my cabin. Thank you for any help in figuring out this HAL "system"!

Trust me, your confusion is normal! HAL's "suite" designations are bewildering, and silly.

The "real" suites on HAL are the deluxe verandah suites, plus the penthouse. These are the "S" and "PH" categories on the ship you're referring to. They get extra perks, which include (quoted from HAL site):

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

On the newest of HAL ships, the "Signature" class, as well as the "Vista" class, there are subcategories SC, SB, SA (in addition to PH)

There is a big price difference between these cabins, and the other verandah cabins. The "S" cabins are as big as a hotel room, over 500 square feet, with very large balconies.

However, that doesn't mean the BC through A category cabins aren't spacious in their own right. The balcony will be about 9' wide and 6' deep. Although these cabins are half the size of the deluxe suites, they have a small sitting area adjacent to the balcony door.

The BC through A cabins are identical. The subcategories are only due to locations.

HAL's website has more details. Links to HAL's site don't always work well, but here's the page on staterooms:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Staterooms.action

When you reach that page, you'll see a list of the various categories of staterooms in the left margin. Click on each category to see square footage, perks, and sketches of the floor plans.

P.S. - I usually cruise in deluxe suites with friends or family. I've just finished a 14 day cruise as a solo in an inside "J" cabin on lower promenade deck and was VERY pleased. The problem with the verandah and above categories is the solo supplement is almost always a full 200%. If you decide to lower your sights because of the cost (I'm of Scottish descent, and it shows) please come back and ask questions to find the best value cabins! There are very experienced solo HAL cruisers on this board who gave me guidance.

Thank you very much! I see from the diagram that the Verandah A, B, BB, BC have 2 chairs and a table on the balcony -- can a lounger replace this set up? Sorry for such minutia - I am looking for peace, quiet and sun -- and some much needed alonetime!

Re: loungers...I've *heard* of it being done. In those cases, cabin steward helped with the process.

I've also heard of people being turned down when they ask.

I think a solo cruiser on a longer voyage would have a better chance of having this wish granted than a couple on a 7 day sailing.

Thanks again - you are very helpful! I see that there is a big price difference between the deluxe suites and the "regular" verandah cabins -- as a solo, although I want roominess, I don't see the point of paying almost double the price for this larger suite.....:)

I too have heard of people getting loungers and also being turned down. Admittedly those aren't really big verandas so I'd imagine it gets pretty tight. We've never tried so I can't speak from personal experience. The really great lounging verandas are some of the stern cabins so you might want to see if there's a cabin available there in your category of choice.

Thanks again - you are very helpful! I see that there is a big price difference between the deluxe suites and the "regular" verandah cabins -- as a solo, although I want roominess, I don't see the point of paying almost double the price for this larger suite.....:)

Size differences are not always what they seem.. That said, let me explain

Our first cruise we were in a stateroom with 256 sq feet (including the verandah). All I could think of when I saw the HAL photos and read the description was OMG this is so tiny!! It was NOT! As soon as we opened the door, I was floored!!! It was HUGE!! And we had tons of space for everything.

The way the stateroom furniture is configured, you generally have lots of room and it is extemely comfortable.

In our last cruise our stateroom was over 500 sq ft (including verandah) and we did not have enough stuff of our own to use all the closets and storage spaces. BUT we were extremely happy, just as we were on our first cruise with less space.

Go with what Fann1sh suggests, and your own instincts of what YOU will be happy with and ENJOY!!

On the four verandahs we have had there has been a wicker footstool, which gives you a semi-lounger when seated in the chair.

Hold onto your decision until you are on board and can see the space and amenities on the verandah. Then ask your steward to make any changes you wish.

ralph

We have just returned from a 7 Day Cruise on the Zuiderdam and our SB Deluxe Suite had 2 Chairs & a Table plus 2 lounges with footstools on the veranda.

Without doubt the Deluxe Suite verandas are incredible. I remember thinking I'd had cabins that were smaller. :) Unfortunately the SS and below verandas aren't nearly as large with the exception of the stern cabins. We were actually a bit surprised and a little disappointed at the size of the SS veranda on the Oosterdam. It was wide but pretty narrow.

Archived