Dawn Menus -New, Revised, Final

jaja

Just FYI, according to Kevin Sheehan, CEO of NCL, there has been no decision for them to roll the menus out fleet wide and my impression (although I maybe very wrong here) is that it is not a for sure decision they are going to keep them on the Dawn. Others may have had a different impression of that, but again, that was my gut feeling. According to him, they were looking very closely at the end of cruise surveys they give.

thanks for the update..!!!!!

Just FYI, according to Kevin Sheehan, CEO of NCL, there has been no decision for them to roll the menus out fleet wide and my impression (although I maybe very wrong here) is that it is not a for sure decision they are going to keep them on the Dawn. Others may have had a different impression of that, but again, that was my gut feeling. According to him, they were looking very closely at the end of cruise surveys they give.

Glad to hear that it's not yet a done deal. When we cruised on the Majesty two weeks ago we bought a Freestyle Cruise Reward knowing we were at some risk that the new menus we do not care for would be adopted. It's not as if we would starve to death of course ;), and at worst we would have eaten in LeBistro a couple of times, but I'm glad to hear NCL is responsive to feedback from its customers.

Just off the Dawn..and according to Hugo (Hotel Director)-Dawn menus have now had 4 revisions..and the current ones have been well received and are probably now final..

Each day/Both main dining rooms ....ONE fixed menu...and ONE specials of the day menu...

Please see this and next post for all photos...

Have I misunderstood? I thought when the discussion first started that there would be one menu, the same for every day, with only one daily variation. This sounds like the menu varies but fewer choices.

Have I misunderstood? I thought when the discussion first started that there would be one menu, the same for every day, with only one daily variation. This sounds like the menu varies but fewer choices.

You haven't misunderstood. When it started it was two fixed menus, one for each MDR, with one daily special (which was the same in both MDRs). But this has gone by the wayside... the original experimental menu structure has undergone a number of changes, no doubt due to passenger feedback.

This is where I got my info from my previous post about Kevin Sheehan:

"To Terrymtex01, I appreciate your many comments. I want to reiterate what I said about the menu test on Norwegian Dawn. Our goal with this testing of the new set of menus in our Main Dining Rooms on Norwegian Dawn is to enhance the dining experience. Today, the menus we are testing offer a number of set items, along with a significant number of daily specials. We’ve been listening to guest feedback throughout the process and have adjusted the menus accordingly. We have not yet made any decisions in terms of rolling this out beyond Norwegian Dawn. Please stay tuned for more information on the menus in our main dining rooms as we conclude the test."

Here is the link for his full reply to me:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=68500326.blog#uslPageReturn

Reading it again I might could have just been a bit hopeful about it not being a total done deal on the Dawn, but time will only tell. He does say they are still gathering opinions from the guests.

Went on the Oct 3rd sailing.

I didn't like the new menus. The entrees were ok as everyone stated but the apps, and salad were terrible.

I'm a big salad lover on a cruise and I attempted 3 nights in a row to get a decent salad.

The Caesar was too fishy, and the other 2 I wouldn't even classify as any salad I would know.

I gave the Caesar another shot at sit down lunch with the same effect, it was slightly better if you ask for a small amount of dressing.

I finally got a great salad at the buffet, of course I made it.

I don't eat seafood so my selection was limit as im a picky eater.

The steak and the chicken dinner was good.

But the potato options weren't.

Cauliflower or leek mashed potatoes. Just get a baked one and you will be fine.

3 nights we didn't eat in the main dining rooms.

I hope they go back to a normal menu.

My cousin went on the Majesty and raved about it and it is hard for her to say that since she doesnt like NCL.

it is not making me happy reading all these negative comments about the new menus...

i do not like going into a cruise, especially a long one, with everyone not liking these menus....

sonja

How about going and generating your own opinion. I am on the same cruise as you and am looking forward to trying the menus and generating my own opinion. Personally I like what I see. My only concern is how will they hold up for more than 7 days. We shall see.

PE

of course i am going to form my own opinion; however, i still don't like all these negative reviews...and also part of the reason is that it is a long cruise....this morning i have read several posts from people saying that they are no longer going to cruise NCL due to other reasons which i also replied to...

Planers Edge, i can't wait to meet you...i have been following your posts for many weeks/months now...

soon, soon!

sonja

this morning i have read several posts from people saying that they are no longer going to cruise NCL due to other reasons which i also replied to...

Planers Edge, i can't wait to meet you...i have been following your posts for many weeks/months now...

soon, soon!

sonja

How many different reasons have people given for never cruising NCL again? If you go to the other lines boards, you will hear the same thing about those lines. Do you see a pattern here?

I have friends that just got off the Dawn and they said they loved the food choices they saw on the menus. They have cruised before but did not know anything about the "fixed" menu controversy.

I look forward to meeting you also.

PE

Went on the Oct 3rd sailing.

I didn't like the new menus. The entrees were ok as everyone stated but the apps, and salad were terrible.

I'm a big salad lover on a cruise and I attempted 3 nights in a row to get a decent salad.

The Caesar was too fishy, and the other 2 I wouldn't even classify as any salad I would know.

I gave the Caesar another shot at sit down lunch with the same effect, it was slightly better if you ask for a small amount of dressing.

I finally got a great salad at the buffet, of course I made it.

I don't eat seafood so my selection was limit as im a picky eater.

The steak and the chicken dinner was good.

But the potato options weren't.

Cauliflower or leek mashed potatoes. Just get a baked one and you will be fine.

3 nights we didn't eat in the main dining rooms.

I hope they go back to a normal menu.

My cousin went on the Majesty and raved about it and it is hard for her to say that since she doesnt like NCL.

You've stated exactly what my opinion was when I read the menus. The entrees look OK, but the appetizers and desserts don't impress me. One of the things I specifically noticed was the lack of salads. I'm like you -- I want a good salad with my dinner, and even on our latest cruise on the Star, which does not have the new menus, they were hard to find.

I also agree with your comments about the potatoes. Nice garlic mashed potatoes I like, but cauliflower and leeks in them? No thanks....

This is where I got my info from my previous post about Kevin Sheehan:

"To Terrymtex01, I appreciate your many comments. I want to reiterate what I said about the menu test on Norwegian Dawn. Our goal with this testing of the new set of menus in our Main Dining Rooms on Norwegian Dawn is to enhance the dining experience. Today, the menus we are testing offer a number of set items, along with a significant number of daily specials. We’ve been listening to guest feedback throughout the process and have adjusted the menus accordingly. We have not yet made any decisions in terms of rolling this out beyond Norwegian Dawn. Please stay tuned for more information on the menus in our main dining rooms as we conclude the test."

Here is the link for his full reply to me:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=68500326.blog#uslPageReturn

Reading it again I might could have just been a bit hopeful about it not being a total done deal on the Dawn, but time will only tell. He does say they are still gathering opinions from the guests.

MORE GREAT NEWS!

Thank goodness they are not reading the posts that are applauding and accepting the change! They'd be a done deal by now, as well as rolled out fleet wide!

Please, everyone continue with their comments.

of course i am going to form my own opinion; however, i still don't like all these negative reviews...and also part of the reason is that it is a long cruise....this morning i have read several posts from people saying that they are no longer going to cruise NCL due to other reasons which i also replied to...

soon, soon!

sonja

How many different reasons have people given for never cruising NCL again? If you go to the other lines boards' date=' you will hear the same thing about those lines. Do you see a pattern here?[/color']

I have friends that just got off the Dawn and they said they loved the food choices they saw on the menus. They have cruised before but did not know anything about the "fixed" menu controversy.

I look forward to meeting you also.

PE

I can't wait to meet both of you. It is getting so close.. 8-)

Do they have trays available in the Cafe? or buffet lines?

NO--BUT--one day I was stuggling with some plates and asked for one...and they got it for me...(there happen to be one nearby)

Ahhhhh..yeah.. LOL.. how could that not be good.. YUMMMMMM.. sounds delicious.

It actually was one of the best salads I have had ( and I don;t even like raspberry dressing!)..(it was only on the menu once--but that one should be on there more for sure!!)

NCL--are you listening.....???????

Just off the Dawn..and according to Hugo (Hotel Director)-Dawn menus have now had 4 revisions..and the current ones have been well received and are probably now final..

Each day/Both main dining rooms ....ONE fixed menu...and ONE specials of the day menu...

Please see this and next post for all photos...[/img][/url]

jaha...I'm not liking this. I don't see any chocolate genache/creme brulee. Have they done away with it?? Say it isn't so!

Terrymtex01...you're our only hope!! You seem to have the ear of the Head Jedi from the Darkside!!!! lol

One CCer suggested on another thread that the creme brulee with chocolate genache should be NCL's signature dessert and I agree.

I think I will try to either call or email NCL to see if I can enlist to "save" it. Yum!

:)

Hugo told us at our CC Meet & Greet the other day that we're on Menu #5 this week for the first time. He also said they will be coming to each ship, one by one very soon.

We're having a great time and the weather is beautiful!

Jackie

Hugo told us at our CC Meet & Greet the other day that we're on Menu #5 this week for the first time. He also said they will be coming to each ship, one by one very soon.

We're having a great time and the weather is beautiful!

Jackie

And he has been saying that for months. Now they're on version #5. This experiment has been going on for so long that you would think it's time to either fish or cut bait. I have the feeling that NCL corporate is not as enthusiastic about this as Hugo is. I suspect the survey feedback they've been getting is not as positive as what passengers have told Hugo in person.

Archived