CCL vs RCCL vs NCL - ONE Reason Why?

yesaccasey

OK, I know this has been done before, but I want to try to put a different spin on it. I know each person has their own favorite cruise line, but I want to know why! I know we're all passionate cruiseaholics, but please let this be a friendly discussion :)

Please state your preferred cruise line and ONE reason why you choose it over the others. I don't want to read paragraphs and paragraphs of people's explanations. Please keep it short and sweet! For example, mine would be:

Carnival - Cheapest cruise line for comparable quality.

OK, I know this has been done before, but I want to try to put a different spin on it. I know each person has their own favorite cruise line, but I want to know why! I know we're all passionate cruiseaholics, but please let this be a friendly discussion :)

Please state your preferred cruise line and ONE reason why you choose it over the others. I don't want to read paragraphs and paragraphs of people's explanations. Please keep it short and sweet! For example, mine would be:

Carnival - Cheapest cruise line for comparable quality.

RCI - Great perks for Diamond members!

NCL at the moment - as formal is 100% optional no matter where you eat

On the Pearl, they did reserve one of the no pay extra dining rooms for formal night(I think it was called Summer Palace)-but the other (Indigo room) you could dress casually. The pay extra you could even wear jeans. And the jeans policy-Indigo room allowed jeans at all times-but you were requested not to wear them to dinner in the Summer Palace.

This is not much different from what you said-a small point-but basically the ship had no pay extra dinning room for both those who did wanted to participate and also for those how wanted a more causal experience over all the whole week. The two dinning rooms had the exact same menu-I thought a good idea-that way they pleased everyone.

to the OP-I do not have a favorite line-I pick the line that has the itinerary I want and at the best price.

RCI - Once you'd been on a Voyager or Freedom class ship everything else is garbage.

I am sorry I do not agree with that statement. Those classes of ships are good for younger people-but they get very congested if the ship is very full, this is not so good for older people.

I am sorry I do not agree with that statement. Those classes of ships are good for younger people-but they get very congested if the ship is very full, this is not so good for older people.

I've been on them many times, and they've always been full. That's part of the beauty of the design, they do not feel crowded at all!

At what age do you consider older?

What age do you consider older? Most of us will never admit to being old-but we know when we are "older." It does not depend on a number, but our health, if we sleep well, if we are always hurting, if we tire easily, if we are always having illnesses and numerous doctor visits, (and we used to never be sick) if we find crowds bother us, when this used not to happen to us, (my gripe about that class of ship-the congestion and crowds bothered me badly)etc. Some of us are old in our fifties, others are not old to their 90's.

If you want to know how old I am, look at my profile-it is there-or at least my general age.

9 cruises total

8 RCCL

1 on CCL

We prefer RCCL's ship design to that of CCL (not that it is comparing apples to oranges)

Also, overall their crews are MUCH friendlier. (RCCL vs CCL) and the buffet set up on CCL is REALLY bad and confusing!

that's it...you said to keep it short! i know i gave about 3 reasons, but i tried to be to the point!:D:p

It's interesting to note how we all have different opinions. When we were planning our Xmas cruise to Mexico, we had a choice of 4 different cruise lines (Princess, Carnival, RCI and NCL). Although prices were similar, RCI's quote was about $200 higher (per person) and the reason we picked RCI is because we've never been on a larger ship with an ice skating rink plus of course perks are great (also very good on Princess) - hard decision, but in the long run, we've had 3 price drops (not sure about the other lines) so we may have gotten the best deal yet! I don't always think Carnival is always the cheaper way to go. We go on all the major cruise lines - depends on timing of the year and of course who's giving the best deals! I can be happy on any cruise line!

I've been on them many times, and they've always been full. That's part of the beauty of the design, they do not feel crowded at all!

I have also-which is why I said that-so you see-not everyone has your point of view.

what you said was not true of my cruise of 3700 PAXl-the RP was extremely crowded every night you could barely move with out elbowing people, and the pools and lido area on sea days were horrible. The line to the windjamer on sea days was 45 minutes long at around 12/1pm. I could not deal with it.

Now, I feel this way about all big ships-the NCL Pearl was not bad, except the last night of the cruise-it seemed that every one wanted to enjoy the centrum area, so we left and went to the lounge above the lido, but at least it was not that way every evening, the way the Mariner of the Seas was. However, no way would I book a cruise on the Epic-not interested. I would also not book a cruise on the carnival conquest class for the same reasons.

Now, I liked the Caribbean Princess well enough, and it seemed, as not everything was centered in the centrum area, she did not get congested, but I know another poster said she did not like, that everything was NOT centrally located, as she had trouble finding lounges and one of the main dinning rooms. I guess we can't have it both ways-if a ship carries over 3000 people and everything is centrally located-it is bound to be congested-unless lounges are spread around on the ship-which makes it harder to find the various lounges.

Anyway, my choice is first a ship less than 3000 PAX, but if I must be on a ship with more than 3000 PAX, I prefer the Princess grand class and everything NOT being centrally located.

9 cruises total

8 RCCL

1 on CCL

We prefer RCCL's ship design to that of CCL (not that it is comparing apples to oranges)

Also, overall their crews are MUCH friendlier. (RCCL vs CCL) and the buffet set up on CCL is REALLY bad and confusing!

that's it...you said to keep it short! i know i gave about 3 reasons, but i tried to be to the point!:D:p

but Meg, hasn't your RCI cruises been on newer ships and your one Canrival on a 10 year old ship? I know you said you chose that because your mother does not fly, so you like to take cruises near NJ, but still for those willing to fly, there are other choices.

Remember also, the older ships usually get the less experienced crew, whereas newer ships with the "wow" factor get the more experienced crew. Often the crew is picked for them by our comment cards.

You must remember also-one cruise could be a fluke. I have taken 4 Carnival-the 3rd, I did not care for and if it had been my first, I would not have cruised Carnival again.

Archived