Celebrity Bank of America American Express Card

SheilaNC

Good morning,

FYI, if you have an X credit card. I spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to redeem points on my X Amex card for on board credit on an upcoming cruise - suffice it to say that after being bounced around to 6 different BOA depts and talking to 3 Captain's Club reps, I found out that BOA is no longer redeeming points for X rewards. They will cash out the points but not at the same levels as on my card. My end result was satisfactory to me - hopefully the check is in the mail :)

The folks at the Captain's Club were extremely helpful - at the time I called, they had not yet been notified of this change.

Please note: I am not posting this message to start a 'ruckus' - there is nothing to be gained by being upset over this situation. :) I am posting to inform those who are collecting Worldpoints on this card so that they can have a heads up. Good luck to all -

I was on the BOA site for over an hour looking for a way to redeem my points for an upcoming cruise. I called an 800 # and while I was waiting thought I'd check the CC site. Guess what...info is true as posted by Host Sheila. BOA is no longer offering any Celebrity points.

So much for the OBC that I had hoped to cash in for our upcoming cruise in Oct.

I did not receive any notification either...and just last month they sent out info for a promo, double points for gas, grocery and drug store purchases. I have been using my card for that as well. This stinks!!!

Hi Everyone !

Several months ago, I redeemed some of My Celebrity Amex card points. Bank of America mailed me a check for the same amount of what I would have recieved as a Celebrity Onboard Credit.... so at the end of the day, everything worked out fine.

Though I am puzzled by the change that Host Sheila reported, as long as I can recieve a similar reward by check, I'm not concerned with the change.

I just called the number that Sheila posted....no one was able to help!

Andy, I wouldn't care if I rec'd cash either....but there is no way to redeem the points. "Celebrity" anything is not an option on the website.

ARGH!!!!! This is not fun!

I have the celebirty BOA Visa card as well, does anyone know what the status of that card is?

The only reason I got it was for the Celebrity points, if they aren't going to honor them anymore (Celebrity is on the Card itself!) then I guess I'll be closing that account...

I just spoke with a rep at World Points who confirmed that they no longer redeem points for Celebrity rewards and that they did NOT give advance notice that the Celebrity program was ending. She offered me cash, but not as much as the shipboard Celebrity credit would have been. For 10,000 points, you can only get $80. (My other reward cards give me a better ratio than that.) She kept saying "I'm sorry" over and over, which was absolutely no help to me. Finally I asked to speak to someone else and she said she would have someone call me. I'll let you know how that works out, but I truly think I will have to settle for the $80 and then stop using the card. Glad I found out before making final payment on some upcoming cruises. I'll put them on my Costco Amex with 2% cash back.

Earlier today I had a conference call with Celebrity Captain's Club Supervisor and BOA Worldpoints Supervisor of a Supervisor.

I got a call back from Celebrity Captain's Club and am on hold with them right now waiting for some resolution to this.

According to BOA the WorldPoints program was just taken over on Monday - yes yesterday- by this new vendor. They do not offer any Celebrity cruise line merchanise. Something tells me the higher ups could not work out a deal with the new vendor of the WorldPoints program and they took off all their merchanise.

We'll see what happens - still on hold waiting on hold for my contact at the Captain's Club. Okay, she's out to lunch and has to call me back. The story continues....

Cynthia,

You will still receive cash for your points - just not at the same rate (almost the same) as with the Celebrity card. I was to receive $450 for 45,000 points and received $430 since the regular Worldpoints conversion was $350 for 35,000 points and $80 for 10,000 points. My understanding is that the new vendor is not honoring any BOA Celebrity cards except for the reg. Worldpoints cash back. Not what I would have expected from the card but much better than losing all of the points. I plan to use the cash onboard as if it was a credit, but need to be diligent not to spend it first :)

BTW, the phone number posted below is the direct to Customer Service number so use that to contact them and ask for a supervisor if you don't receive a reasonable explanation.

Contacted and talked to the BoA Visa Worldpoints office and they stated that if you had already redeemed points and had the coupon and it wsa assinged to a cruise, then it would be honored.

You can no longer get the OBC coupon. I was wondering what was going on. I searched yesterday all over the place for Celebrity OBC on the site and couldn't find it.

I had redeemed my points two weeks ago and assigned two coupons to my B2B cruises this Nov. So glad I did that now. I was going back so I could tell a friend so I could help them - out of luck at least for the OBC.

I still have 40K+ points and I was gong to use them for my Sep 10 cruise but was holding off. Don't know how it would work if I'c cancelled my cruise on redeeming them so I was going to wait until Final payment. I guess I don't have to worry abou that.

I think I'll find another card. Won't use this one as I do for travel and so on. And yes, the cash redemption is not nearly as good. I'll see if I can work a better deal and get equal cash.

Denny

Latest in my saga. Just got off the telephone with the Captain's Club.

I had to transfer all my Worldpoints from my AMEX card to my Visa card. So I had over 19,000 points on the Visa. I gave her all my info and the top supervisor is going to try to go through a back door some how and get my on-board credt that way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Not sure what is going on but if this program has been eliminated, Celebrity needs to get the link to the BOA Visa card off their web-site.

Anne Maria

Sounds like BoA is very familiar with how to handle the transfer of points to cash.

Called the number Host Shelia provided, and the person understood what I wished, called my profile up and offered my the same amount Host Shelia received.

I'll get a check within 10 days from a company named 'John Harlin Incorp'. Good to know so I don't immediatley just throw that envelope away thinking it's junk mail.

They confirmed my earlier redemption was still valid, so my exisiting OBC is OK. I'll now use the cash for the upcoming cruise and wait to see if Celebrity/RCL comes up with a new chargecard relationship that honors OBC.

Too bad, this was very handy for me since I bank with BoA and could handle online transfers and so on.

Denny

I just checked the Celebrity website and clicked through the BOA VISA link, and it comes up with all the detail about Celebrity rewards. I agree it should be removed or modified if the Celebrity rewards are truly gone.

This is so disappointing! We just booked a cruise and would be making final payment soon which would really bump up our points. We were really counting on using the BOA VISA points for onboard credit as we have done for all other cruises. I'll be anxious to hear how you make out.

I just called BOA to check on the Royal Caribbean VISA card to make sure this was not happening with that card also and the rep said no that it is still valid and points can be redeemed. I then told her about this thread and she checked the Celebrity VISA info and said it was also still valid. Although they are no longer offering either card. Maybe this only affects the Amex card?

Nope, it's both cards. John and I have a total of four cards, we each have an AMEX and VISA with outstanding balances.

It really stinks that about 6 weeks ago BOA sent us a notice stating double rewards for gas, grocery and drug store purchases and I began using the card for daily living expenses. We had hoped to rack up the points for OBC's to use during our upcoming cruise in Oct.

I guess that good news is that we had not made final pymt. for our Galapagos cruise in early 2010.

In addition to the 800 number previously listed, I have called and been given these numbers. 1-800-421-2100, 1-800-434-8313, 1-888-257-8425 and 1-800-435-7291. I have found no one to make a satisfactory resolution. I have worked on this all day.

The info on the Celebrity site has not been changed either!

when you call the number that Host Shelia posted, the customer service rep that my husband spoke with, tried very hard to get us to accept a lesser amount for our points. Be polite, but persistent in the amount you want for your points. We had almost 33,000 points and the rep insisted that she could only give us $240 for 25,000 points, because we hadn't reached the next level of 35,000. Then, she offered $275 for 30,000 points. We finally settled on $300 for 32,500 points, with a small number of points remaining.

The rep told my husband that she was unaware of the new policy of not honoring the worldpoints - she hadn't received any notification. As another poster wrote, the check will come from the John Harland & Co, 8 - 10 days after processing.

Good luck to all.

Mary

Archived