Voluntary Formal Night

Bridge Maven

Do you observe voluntary formal night?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Do you observe voluntary formal night?

• Yes - I wear a tux
    • Yes - I wear a dark suit
    • Yes - I wear an evening gown
    • Yes - wear dressy pants/top
    • Yes - I wear a cocktail dress
    • No - but I dress up more than on casual nights
    • No - I dress the same way as on casual nights
    • It depends on the itinerary - explain below
    • Other - explain below

Maybe to you, but to most of us it makes no difference. To me, both are just a room full of the same people.

I really have never understood why people get so worked up over what other people are wearing. I don't care what the people at the next table are wearing or doing because, frankly, it is none of my business. I want to focus on the people that I am with.

Those who worry or get upset about what others are wearing are either noisy busybodies, insecure with their own attire and choice or simply snobs who wish to impose their "standards" and beliefs on others. I really don't care to associate with any lowlife like that.

(and no, I did not say that about those who dress up. I think people should have the choice and I respect the choice. That is only directed at those who want to worry about or dictate to others what to wear.)

Maybe to you, but to most of us it makes no difference. To me, both are just a room full of the same people.

If what someone else wears is so important to you, why not cruise a line with a phony dress code and leave us alone here? Please?

I agree with you 100%. Some of there people would have a heart attack if they saw me at home sitting at the dinner table wearing Levi's bare foot and no shirt.

Because even for those of us who like to dress up (and I understand why not everyone does), it's more fun to dress up when everyone else is dressed up. And a dining room full of well-dressed people looks more attractive, thus encouraging those who want to do it to do it. So you can start a virtuous circle by designating a dress up night, even though it's still voluntary.

I totally agree with what you are saying, but t doesn't always work that way. For instance, we took a 19 trans-Atlantic cruise on NCL and documents said there would be three "formal" nights. I dutifully packed my basic black long dress and two beaded tops, suit and size 12 wing tips (read heavy) for husband. The night before the first one, the CD said at the end of the show "tomorrow is the Captain's reception and,if you want, you can dress accordingly." O.K., I dressed "accordingly." We were seated, because of freestyle dining, with a couple in tee-shirts and flip flops. Looking around, 1/4 were dressed "formal" and they were "scattered" around like us; 1/2 smart casual, and 1/4 in flip flops and tee-shirts.

We are booked on NCL next summer. No way am I larding up my suitcase with formal clothes particularly with the limits on luggage these days. I will be taking slacks/skirt and a couple of tops that I would wear to a local cocktail party. Husband will have dress shirt, tie, blazer (which he will wear as we travel--hoping for upgrades to first class if we look good) and wearing his "dress" loafers.

As a side note, on RCL we were invited to dine with the Captain. First words out of my mouth when the invitation was given was "what is the dress for men?" We had not bought husband's tux but I did have basic black dress and beaded top as we weren't doing My Time Dining. The officer told us a suit would be fine. There were 10 of us at the table not counting the Captain and the 1st Officer. All of the men but one had a suit. One that had the tux "apologized" saying his wife made him bring it and that was all he had to wear (lol).

With the fares on cruises being so low, you are not going to find the level of dress that was present in the past. With the restrictions on luggage, you have to really mix and match. A "formal" outfit requires shoes that can only be worn twice and purse which adds more to the luggage. When I first started cruising, you wore a minimum of a "church" dress every night and a jacket for the men was expected. Now, polo shirts and khaki pants, docksiders are the norm for men, nice slacks/skirt and blouse for the ladies. And you still have the flip flops and tee-shirts surrounding you.

Guess what? We aren't in Kansas, anymore, Toto.

Tucker in Texas

I totally agree with what you are saying, but t doesn't always work that way. For instance, we took a 19 trans-Atlantic cruise on NCL and documents said there would be three "formal" nights. I dutifully packed my basic black long dress and two beaded tops, suit and size 12 wing tips (read heavy) for husband. The night before the first one, the CD said at the end of the show "tomorrow is the Captain's reception and,if you want, you can dress accordingly." O.K., I dressed "accordingly." We were seated, because of freestyle dining, with a couple in tee-shirts and flip flops. Looking around, 1/4 were dressed "formal" and they were "scattered" around like us; 1/2 smart casual, and 1/4 in flip flops and tee-shirts.

We are booked on NCL next summer. No way am I larding up my suitcase with formal clothes particularly with the limits on luggage these days. I will be taking slacks/skirt and a couple of tops that I would wear to a local cocktail party. Husband will have dress shirt, tie, blazer (which he will wear as we travel--hoping for upgrades to first class if we look good) and wearing his "dress" loafers.

As a side note, on RCL we were invited to dine with the Captain. First words out of my mouth when the invitation was given was "what is the dress for men?" We had not bought husband's tux but I did have basic black dress and beaded top as we weren't doing My Time Dining. The officer told us a suit would be fine. There were 10 of us at the table not counting the Captain and the 1st Officer. All of the men but one had a suit. One that had the tux "apologized" saying his wife made him bring it and that was all he had to wear (lol).

With the fares on cruises being so low, you are not going to find the level of dress that was present in the past. With the restrictions on luggage, you have to really mix and match. A "formal" outfit requires shoes that can only be worn twice and purse which adds more to the luggage. When I first started cruising, you wore a minimum of a "church" dress every night and a jacket for the men was expected. Now, polo shirts and khaki pants, docksiders are the norm for men, nice slacks/skirt and blouse for the ladies. And you still have the flip flops and tee-shirts surrounding you.

Guess what? We aren't in Kansas, anymore, Toto.

Tucker in Texas

Ha ha ha Nope, we are definitely not in Kansas! :)

I simply can't agree more with that line. Things are different now. I actually believe that I can date the change, too. John Cougar Mellencamp won a Grammy in 1982 for the single 'Hurts So Good' and he accepted it in torn blue jeans and an old jean jacket. I vividly remember watching it and being absolutely shocked that he would be so disrespectful of the tradition of the biggest awards show in music. There was even a few years afterwards when the red carpet got less formal for a while, but thankfully old Hollywood glamour came back. For the general public not attending elaborate events, however, that pivotal moment brought with it the realization that if an individual didn't want to wear a tuxedo - or even a suit - they didn't have to.

So... that being said, I don't care. I LOVE dressing up. I love wearing formal wear, I love wearing costumes, I love dressing to a theme... I just love having a 'dress challenge' and meeting it. I love putting on makeup and doing my hair - and if my daughter and husband will let me 'dress' them, it's just that much more fun for me. If the person seated right next to me chooses not to dress according to the 'theme', that's their business, and I will never someone ELSE's desire to NOT dress up affect my desire TO dress up.

I see the luggage issue thing a lot, but so far it hasn't been an issue for us. Flying internationally (Canada-US), we're allowed two checked bags without a surcharge, and even though I'm a chronic overpacker, we've never had any problem meeting the weight limits.

I completely understand that there are many people who would prefer to never dress up, and I think it's fantastic that they have that choice on NCL. To me, NCL is all about freedom of choice, and I would hate to think that someone was uncomfortable because they felt obligated to do something they didn't enjoy. As this poll shows, I'm in a minority as far as dressing formally goes, and I'm okay with that. Until the dress code says 'no formal gowns' I'll pack one and wear it happily. :)

Ha ha ha Nope, we are definitely not in Kansas! :)

I simply can't agree more with that line. Things are different now. I actually believe that I can date the change, too. John Cougar Mellencamp won a Grammy in 1982 for the single 'Hurts So Good' and he accepted it in torn blue jeans and an old jean jacket. I vividly remember watching it and being absolutely shocked that he would be so disrespectful of the tradition of the biggest awards show in music. There was even a few years afterwards when the red carpet got less formal for a while, but thankfully old Hollywood glamour came back. For the general public not attending elaborate events, however, that pivotal moment brought with it the realization that if an individual didn't want to wear a tuxedo - or even a suit - they didn't have to.

So... that being said, I don't care. I LOVE dressing up. I love wearing formal wear, I love wearing costumes, I love dressing to a theme... I just love having a 'dress challenge' and meeting it. I love putting on makeup and doing my hair - and if my daughter and husband will let me 'dress' them, it's just that much more fun for me. If the person seated right next to me chooses not to dress according to the 'theme', that's their business, and I will never someone ELSE's desire to NOT dress up affect my desire TO dress up.

I see the luggage issue thing a lot, but so far it hasn't been an issue for us. Flying internationally (Canada-US), we're allowed two checked bags without a surcharge, and even though I'm a chronic overpacker, we've never had any problem meeting the weight limits.

I completely understand that there are many people who would prefer to never dress up, and I think it's fantastic that they have that choice on NCL. To me, NCL is all about freedom of choice, and I would hate to think that someone was uncomfortable because they felt obligated to do something they didn't enjoy. As this poll shows, I'm in a minority as far as dressing formally goes, and I'm okay with that. Until the dress code says 'no formal gowns' I'll pack one and wear it happily. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your opinions and observations. You sound like a person who is fair and balanced, and what you say makes sense.

I might add that the change in dress through the years (at least since Victorian times) has definetly trended toward more and more casual in general, and public manners and civility along with it. It sounds like maybe you were born too late.

Just curious, have you ever cruised on the more formal lines such as Celebrity or Cunard? I am not saying at all that you should not cruise NCL anymore, but rather think you might really enjoy the formality found on those.

The Spirit from Boston on 10/9/09 will be our first NCL. I usually cruise with a tux and enjoy it but don't want to the only one or even one of a very few to be wearing a tux. How many "voluntary" formal nights will be on a 16 day cruise and should I bring the tux or just a sports coat?

Thanks for your help. Any other NCL tips would also be appreciated.

:confused:

The Spirit from Boston on 10/9/09 will be our first NCL. I usually cruise with a tux and enjoy it but don't want to the only one or even one of a very few to be wearing a tux. How many "voluntary" formal nights will be on a 16 day cruise and should I bring the tux or just a sports coat?

Thanks for your help. Any other NCL tips would also be appreciated.

:confused:

On our recent Dawn cruise 7 day NE/Canada ...I saw one tux...if that helps..

I voted for I wear a formal gown.

When we started cruising in 2003, we wore formal gowns. Did this the next couple times. Then we started taking dressy dresses because of more time spent traveling and needed more clothes (thus less space in suitcases). Anyway on our last NCL cruise we noticed it wasn't as much fun dressing up since it wasn't everyone in the diningroom wearing dressy clothes. I sure wish it wouldn't change.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your opinions and observations. You sound like a person who is fair and balanced, and what you say makes sense.

I might add that the change in dress through the years (at least since Victorian times) has definetly trended toward more and more casual in general, and public manners and civility along with it. It sounds like maybe you were born too late.

Just curious, have you ever cruised on the more formal lines such as Celebrity or Cunard? I am not saying at all that you should not cruise NCL anymore, but rather think you might really enjoy the formality found on those.

Thank you very much. Interestingly, I've been told I was born 'too late' more than once - but usually it's because of the tie dye I wear most of the time when I dress casually! ha ha ha I've never been on the more formal lines, but I have been cruising since dressing for dinner was expected, so I have a good idea of what it's like. The great thing about NCL is that I get to wear a gown at least once, a fancy cocktail dress at least once, and 'night on the town' attire for the rest of my evening meals, while my husband humours me on 'dress up or not' night in a suit and the rest of the time he's free to wear jeans if he wants. He doesn't share my love of costuming; he's okay with it, but I know he's more comfortable in less formal clothes, so I love that on NCL we can both be happy. :)

Truly, though, I'd be happy on any cruiseline!

DH owns a tux and takes it on every cruise and wears it on NCL optional formal night. I wear a cocktail dress on these nights and on other nights DH wears a sports coat and dress slacks to dinner and I wear what I would wear to a nice restaurant in our hometown. I really have no interest in what other people wear to dinner since I am dressing in what I want to wear and I am comfortable in my choices. It's everyone's vacation- wear what you want!

On our cruise last year a woman asked us what we were dressed up for (it was a sports coat for DH and a dress for me). We said "dinner." She persisted- "No, really, why would you want to dress up?" and "You CAN'T be comfortable in that!" Now, she was wearing a sweatshirt and sweat pants and I would never presume to comment on that choice. Live and let live and MYOB.

Barb

I wear a dress most nights to dinner and don't really do anything different on formal night. An evening gown would be a pain to pack. DH wears dress pants and a button down shirt to dinner every night. On optional formal night he usually throws on a tie.

I like your attitude! I dress in a nice top and slax for dinners and hubby nice shirt and slax/dockers. Not formal nites, I wear palazzo pants and dressier tops and he wears a suit/tie...It just makes us feel as if we're going to dinner, which we certainly are. We rarely change, unless we get an urge for the hot tub. (actually, never made it at night on any ship LOL)...

I feel people at least should look presentable. It's their image and shows some respect. We are on a cruise ship, no matter how casual it may be.

We're on 10-30 Jewel Repo. Our 1st NCL and we can't wait....

I feel people at least should look presentable. It's their image and shows some respect. We are on a cruise ship, no matter how casual it may be.....

We have the same attitude. If the servers are dressed up and treat us like formal diners, we should be respectful and dress up, too. Those exact sentiments about "respect" were how we talked about it last cruise.

With NCL's policy, I just accept that not everyone feels that way and try to just be concerned about ourselves.

Have fun on your repo cruise. That reminds me that I posted a question elsewhere about repos an need to go look at answers!

We have the same attitude. If the servers are dressed up and treat us like formal diners, we should be respectful and dress up, too. Those exact sentiments about "respect" were how we talked about it last cruise.

With NCL's policy, I just accept that not everyone feels that way and try to just be concerned about ourselves.

Have fun on your repo cruise. That reminds me that I posted a question elsewhere about repos an need to go look at answers!

are the servers dressed up? the pictures I have seen of "dress up or not" the servers are wearing tux Tshirts if that is how they dress on the "dress or not" I don't call that dressed up I call it tacky... if that is not the norm I withdraw my response:D

DH owns a tux and takes it on every cruise and wears it on NCL optional formal night. I wear a cocktail dress on these nights and on other nights DH wears a sports coat and dress slacks to dinner and I wear what I would wear to a nice restaurant in our hometown. I really have no interest in what other people wear to dinner since I am dressing in what I want to wear and I am comfortable in my choices. It's everyone's vacation- wear what you want!

On our cruise last year a woman asked us what we were dressed up for (it was a sports coat for DH and a dress for me). We said "dinner." She persisted- "No, really, why would you want to dress up?" and "You CAN'T be comfortable in that!" Now, she was wearing a sweatshirt and sweat pants and I would never presume to comment on that choice. Live and let live and MYOB.

Barb

Wow....that women had some nerve. There you were minding your own business and she has to make YOU feel like there's something wrong because you want to look nice? You should have responded with, "why would you want to wear your gym clothes to dinner"...I mean you can't think you are dressed properly?" Ugh! I love freestyle and I love that you and she were able to "dress as you like".....but, she went too far to single you out like that.

Wow....that women had some nerve. There you were minding your own business and she has to make YOU feel like there's something wrong because you want to look nice? You should have responded with, "why would you want to wear your gym clothes to dinner"...I mean you can't think you are dressed properly?" Ugh! I love freestyle and I love that you and she were able to "dress as you like".....but, she went too far to single you out like that.

And I gave the condensed version of her critique of our clothes. After she went on and on I said that we live in an area (N.H.) where we don't often get the opportunity to dress up and enjoy it as a change, and she proceeded to tell us where we should go out to eat in Boston so we wouldn't feel this way. I actually felt sorry for her because she was so socially awkward.

Barb

When you purchase a house, car, insurance, and furniture do you or your husband wear a suit because the salesmen do?

When you purchase a house, car, insurance, and furniture do you or your husband wear a suit because the salesmen do?

Actually, some people do.

A few years ago my wife, who was executrix of the estate, and I, were at the closing of the sale of her late mother's house.

I dressed in jeans and a polo shirt. My wife, who is a self employed professional, wore a business suit. I asked why she was all dressed up, and she answered that we were conducting business with professionals...lawyers and real estate agents...and she felt her business attire was the appropriate uniform of the day.

And I gave the condensed version of her critique of our clothes. After she went on and on I said that we live in an area (N.H.) where we don't often get the opportunity to dress up and enjoy it as a change, and she proceeded to tell us where we should go out to eat in Boston so we wouldn't feel this way. I actually felt sorry for her because she was so socially awkward.

Barb

Well...you sure showed a lot of restraint and class for keeping your own comments to yourself. Not sure I would have been that polite. ;)

To those of you who have cruised in Europe - there is a thread where someone asked about dress code in Europe.

I've only cruised in the Med. I've never seen people really sloppily dressed in the MDR. Even though it was Summer no man wore tank tops and even the T-Shirts were smart ones. I never saw anyone with sweat pants/tops. Even kids were dressed well.

The woman wearing sweats would have stood out so much I'm sure even she would have felt embarressed.

On Trip Advisor, Americans always say that Europeans dress smarter and even that their jeans are smart and elegant enough to be dressed up for the evenings.

I have accepted that jeans are a way of life for many and nice ones worn for dinner don't bother me.

Do you think that people dress up for dinner in Europe more than they do in the Caribbean or Bahamas ?

Hi Cruisers, I haven't figured out what the big deal is about 'dressing for dinner'. Most of us will shower and change after a long day. What's the difference if you put on a pair of docker-type slacks (men) and slip on a shirt vs. slipping on jeans and a polo shirt?? You are still 'dressing', aren't you? How can someone be that uncomfortable in a shirt and dockers while eating? As for ladies, same applies. Slacks and a top vs jean/capris and a polo shirt. Still need to dress. We presume you're still combing your hair and perhaps putting on a little makeup, so what's the big deal??

Wouldn't you prefer to see yourself looking nice going to dinner? It's a cruise, however freestyle.... A little discretion as to dining in public venues, (buffet excluded, of course). It's not to impress others, but to present yourself in a positive light. It's your image, why not show you refined side. I know we all have that side and the "I don't care side". There is really and time and place for each side. A cruise should be the 'refined side', (mainly at dinner in DR's.). Thanks for letting me vent.

OK, I've said my piece. Have a safe cruise whatever you choose.

Archived