QM2 cabin question please

twoatsea

This will be our first time on the QM2. When I booked, I waitlisted us for the premium balconies & ocean views. We paid for & were assigned cabin #6232, an inside. Our sail date is 11/11/2009. Today I got a choice of #5250, oceanview.

#6232 is midship, but under the glass floor on deck 7

#5250 is the last cabin aft

Do you think midship is better for a smoother ride?

Is aft noisy with the anchor/engines?

Will we be bothered with noise from the deck above us? Does a band/orchestra sometimes play there, or other noise?

Thanks so much - decisions, decisions, decisions!

Midships is always better for less movememnt, but it all really depends on how much you want the outside view and fresh air. Personally I would go for the balcony, but if you are worried about seasickness, stay with what you have.

Thanks, Cat. I agree regarding the balcony. But we haven't gotten a balcony - yet - I hope it's just yet! It's between inside midship & oceanview aft.

I think you are right though about the motion stability of aft vs. midship. Just haven't cruised in November; not sure how the waters 'normally' are.

Thanks again.

This will be our first time on the QM2. We paid for & were assigned cabin #6232, an inside. Today I got a choice of #5250, oceanview.

Do you think midship is better for a smoother ride? Is aft noisy with the anchor/engines? Will we be bothered with noise from the deck above us? Does a band/orchestra sometimes play there, or other noise?

Hi

6232 is three quarters of the way to the stern, not really midships, but still in a stable position on a very, very stable ship (can you give me an idea of the names of ships you've been on before? So I can understand your concerns about movement). My main concern would be about noise, the galley for the Kings Court is directly overhead (6232 was never under a glass floor, that was over the atrium and was removed several years back in any case).

5250 will be a larger cabin than 6232 and should contain a sofa (which all inside cabins lack). There is far less movement at the stern than there is at the bow, but in a really rough sea you may feel any movement more here than in 6232. But I stress how stable QM2 is and how rare a really good storm is. It is great to have a sea view, however, I've enjoyed both an inside on a cruise around the Caribbean and an oceanview on a short cruise (and two differing balcony cabins besides).

Below there is a link to many photographs of similar cabins to the two you are considering, the inside cabin is under "QM2 cruise 2007" and the oceanview is under "QM2 Cherbourg July 08".

Finally, if you go for the inside, and they upgrade you again, it could be to the oceanview. If you choose the oceanview, they could upgrade you again, maybe to a balcony.

Hope this helps. Whatever you decide, have the very best of voyages on the greatest liner in the world. She is like no other ship.

Midships is always better for less movememnt, but it all really depends on how much you want the outside view and fresh air. Personally I would go for the balcony, but if you are worried about seasickness, stay with what you have.

I would fully agree with you , also please note that when you are looking at the plans they are not that well to scale, I have checked out stern and bow cabins on the plan, in the flesh they are not as forward or aft as they look on the plan, we are on the same voyage as you and we have an inside on deck 4, nice a cosy, .

please pop over and join our HUGE role call, over 70 now, it will a great party on board.

rob

• 2 weeks later...

First, don't worry about your cabin. The most wonderful thing about QM2 is being aboard. Cabins are really a bonus.

Deck 6 (our favorite, actually) has in-hull balconies. We think these are great but not everyone does.

On QM2 you have to be pretty far forward or aft or aloft to have a difference in motion. That said, her motion is very pleasant AND it takes pretty heavy weather to make motion an issue. That said, QM2 is wonderful in heavy weather!

No noise from the engines nor anchors.

Deck 6 is not the quietest on the ship but in our experience has not been noisy. We were on Deck 5 once (when was that???) and it was quieter. But we booked deck 6 again because we liked it better.

Bottom line, you'll be VERY pleased with whatever you end up in.

Enjoy!

This will be our first time on the QM2. When I booked, I waitlisted us for the premium balconies & ocean views. We paid for & were assigned cabin #6232, an inside. Our sail date is 11/11/2009. Today I got a choice of #5250, oceanview.

Do you think midship is better for a smoother ride?

Is aft noisy with the anchor/engines?

Will we be bothered with noise from the deck above us? Does a band/orchestra sometimes play there, or other noise?

Thanks so much - decisions, decisions, decisions!

Thanks for your replies. Now we don't know where we will be! I put us on the waitlist for a balcony & we got B1. However, the catch is - we had to take a guarranty, couldn't get a cabin assignment for any balcony category. So, we watch our account everyday waiting for a cabin assignment. Who knows, maybe we'll be upgraded to a suite?!!!!:D

Thanks for your replies. Now we don't know where we will be! I put us on the waitlist for a balcony & we got B1. However, the catch is - we had to take a guarranty, couldn't get a cabin assignment for any balcony category. So, we watch our account everyday waiting for a cabin assignment. Who knows, maybe we'll be upgraded to a suite?!!!!:D

Well at least b1 are in a good location!:D Anyway enjoy and have a great time on QM2!!

I think we've booked B1 more than any other. Getting better all the time!

Archived