Laundry Costs

GRHinPorts

Hi,

This has probably been covered before but I could not find it on a search so apologies for any repetition.

I am travelling on HAL on the Veendam this December to South America. I was just wondering what the costs are for laundry on this ship. The cruise will be for 16 nights and then we are travelling for a few days in South America so I am really wondering whether I will treat myself and budget for the costs of having my laundry done for me.

Any info would be really appreciated.

The washers are $2.00, and the dryers $1.00. Quarters can be gotten at the Front Desk. The washers have their own soap; bring dryer sheets.

Even if you think you will send your laundry out, bring the dryer sheets anyway; that way you are free to change your mind. Those sheets are incredibly lightweight, and don't take up any room. And your luggage will smell good!

Hi,

This has probably been covered before but I could not find it on a search so apologies for any repetition.

I am travelling on HAL on the Veendam this December to South America. I was just wondering what the costs are for laundry on this ship. The cruise will be for 16 nights and then we are travelling for a few days in South America so I am really wondering whether I will treat myself and budget for the costs of having my laundry done for me.

they have do it yourself laundry, detergent included, $2.00 a wash, and ether 1.00 for the dry or free dry. Got that from 2 differet hal cruises.

They offer unlimited laundry, unlimited pressing or laundry by the bag.

the cruise length will determine the price.

When your documents are ready to be downloaded the prices will be there, for your cruise.

I hope this helps a little

We had never used the ship's laundry due to the excessive cost, but on HAL we used the "blue bag". Fantastic job at a resonable cost, you can stuff a LOT of clothes in one. So good, we had a 2nd bag done just before we left the ship!:)

I went by the assumption, that since they are doing away with real paper documents, they you would have the same things included in the edocs.

My real documents arrived a couple weeks ago, and heard real paper will end shortly.

maybe i made a bad assumption.

Just off the Ryndam for 14 days. We had laundry by the bag done 3 times at $20 per bag. The 3rd bag was returned (washed, ironed/folded) but the slip attached was not my original order. I checked it out and found I had been charged by the item. I immediately found my pink copy of the order that I had kept when I submitted the laundry and went to the front desk. After a bit of a hassle (the clerk asked if I had told them at the front desk that I wanted to have laundry by the bag) but it was soon cleared up. I showed her my cabin statement which listed the first 2 bags as $20 each and she eventually conceded. Since there was nothing in the room to indicate I should pre-clear how my laundry would be dealt with, other than on the laundry list that's in the closet with the blue bag, I merely checked off "by the bag" which is what I've always done. I love the way the laundry is done and I even felt confident enough to send my undies along and everything came back just perfect. I did the same thing on a 4 week cruise on the Rotterdam and had the same terrific experience.

Sorry to prattle on so..... Enjoy your cruise!!!

Colette

Thanks for all of the replies above :)

Having found out some information I think I will definitely be looking to take up the laundry service. I am just not sure whether its better to use the "By the bag" service - is that $20 per bag on all cruises OR get unlimitted laundry once I can find out how much that will be for my 16 day South American cruise.

I am just getting to grip with HALs E-Docs system at the moment but on the issue of laundry all I can get at the moment is a piece stating the following:

"Laundry

For your convenience, we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service. You will find laundry bags and price lists in your closet. Self-service laundromats are situated in various locations on board, except the ms Noordam, ms Zuiderdam, ms Westerdam, ms Oosterdam and ms Eurodam . The facility consists of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards. There is a charge for the use of washers & dryers. For safety reasons, we ask you to refrain from ironing clothes in your stateroom." (Courtesy of HAL Website)

So I would think I cannot book the unlimitted laundry until I get on board. If anyone knows any different or indeed anymore information that would useful to know that would be great to know.

The washers are $2.00, and the dryers $1.00. Quarters can be gotten at the Front Desk. The washers have their own soap; bring dryer sheets.

Even if you think you will send your laundry out, bring the dryer sheets anyway; that way you are free to change your mind. Those sheets are incredibly lightweight, and don't take up any room. And your luggage will smell good!

I cannot imagine I will be tempted to do my own washing (although having said this on our last cruise I did a few bits and bobs just for convenience) but thanks for the info none the less.

Just out of curiosity what is heavens name are dryer sheets?

I cannot imagine I will be tempted to do my own washing (although having said this on our last cruise I did a few bits and bobs just for convenience) but thanks for the info none the less.

Just out of curiosity what is heavens name are dryer sheets?

They're fabric softener sheets that you put in the dryer to help get rid of static and they also make your stuff smell good.

Thanks for all of the replies above :)

Having found out some information I think I will definitely be looking to take up the laundry service. I am just not sure whether its better to use the "By the bag" service - is that $20 per bag on all cruises OR get unlimitted laundry once I can find out how much that will be for my 16 day South American cruise.

I am just getting to grip with HALs E-Docs system at the moment but on the issue of laundry all I can get at the moment is a piece stating the following:

"Laundry

For your convenience, we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service. You will find laundry bags and price lists in your closet. Self-service laundromats are situated in various locations on board, except the ms Noordam, ms Zuiderdam, ms Westerdam, ms Oosterdam and ms Eurodam . The facility consists of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards. There is a charge for the use of washers & dryers. For safety reasons, we ask you to refrain from ironing clothes in your stateroom." (Courtesy of HAL Website)

So I would think I cannot book the unlimitted laundry until I get on board. If anyone knows any different or indeed anymore information that would useful to know that would be great to know.

FYI, it was $120 per stateroom for unlimited laundry for our full 20 days in the Med aboard Noordam. Remember that "unlimited" means one small bag per day.

Do you need coins for the do it yourself laundry? Washer and dryer....

The $20 per bag sounds great, but I have to do laundry with my hypoallergetic detergent and cannot use commercial ones.

The do it yourself machines dispense detergent, you can't use your own. I don't have a problem with the detergent that is used, but I know others who do. And yes, you need coins $2 for wash, $1 for dry, and you can get the change at the front desk if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recall please if the self service laundry soap has a fragrance? I have e-mailed HAL 3 times now asking this question, but have had no reply.

Also, do the dryers dispense fabric softener? I am allergic to scented products of all kinds.

On Cruise West, I have always been able to bring my own detergent and either use it in their washing machines, or the steward would make sure they used mine instead of what the ship customarily used when they offered laundry service.

I cannot seem to get an answer from anyone at HAL about this.

Thank you.

I don't have a dryer either but when in the supermarket I have tried to find dryer sheets but unfortunately they are not stocked here in Australia so when I have used the dryers on board ship, I have had to go without.

Jennie

This is excellent info: Altough laundry is the last thing I want to do on a cruise the airline is forcing me to do so.Will only be bringing one large duffle bag apiece,and a garment bag for Suit/Tux, dress,and coats(going to Alaska for 14 days)will need to do at least one load I am sure.Or I might have to just go ahead and do the bag for 20.

Just off the Ryndam for 14 days. We had laundry by the bag done 3 times at $20 per bag. The 3rd bag was returned (washed, ironed/folded) but the slip attached was not my original order. I checked it out and found I had been charged by the item. I immediately found my pink copy of the order that I had kept when I submitted the laundry and went to the front desk. After a bit of a hassle (the clerk asked if I had told them at the front desk that I wanted to have laundry by the bag) but it was soon cleared up. I showed her my cabin statement which listed the first 2 bags as $20 each and she eventually conceded. Since there was nothing in the room to indicate I should pre-clear how my laundry would be dealt with, other than on the laundry list that's in the closet with the blue bag, I merely checked off "by the bag" which is what I've always done. I love the way the laundry is done and I even felt confident enough to send my undies along and everything came back just perfect. I did the same thing on a 4 week cruise on the Rotterdam and had the same terrific experience.

Sorry to prattle on so..... Enjoy your cruise!!!

Colette

Do I need to sign up to get laundry by the bag option? Is so, where and is there a cut off day for doing so? Also, is there any limitation put on how many days I can use this option? I'm tired of clothes drip drying over the tub!

FYI, it was $120 per stateroom for unlimited laundry for our full 20 days in the Med aboard Noordam. Remember that "unlimited" means one small bag per day.

Is that really the case?

I was thinking of taking this option on our 33 day Caribbean + TA next year as, like everyone else, we have luggage restrictions on the outward flight.

I would have thought "unlimited" would be like it is when we have a suite - send as much as you want when you want.

Hi,

On the Veendam last August & on the Maasdam in Nov. we sent out several bags of laundry & both ships charged us $12.00 per bag..The price may have increased this year, but to us even if it's $20.00 a bag, it's well worth it..I would never do laundry on a ship again..We plan to use the by the bag service on our 28 day cruise in Nov...On both ships, we did not have to sign up at the Front desk, but just spoke to our cabin Steward who handled it for us..He made sure we had another bag after the first one..

The trick is to roll all of the things very tightly together & stuff the corners with socks etc..I do the rolling & the list, while DH does the stuffing..You would be amazed at how much he can get into these bags..We can hardly close them & they are so heavy that we would never hang them on the hooks..We put in under ware, shirts, my everyday tops, socks, nighties, our shorts, our docker type slacks, sweaters & jeans..It all comes back beautifully done up either folded or on hangars, your choice.We've always received ours back within 48 hours & occasionally in 24 hours.. I don't send my formal clothes or some of my dressier casual clothes out to be washed..Would prefer to have them either dry cleaned by the ship if needed, or by our specialty cleaners at home..Some of my dressy tops, I must hand wash & hang to dry..

We had never used the ship's laundry due to the excessive cost, but on HAL we used the "blue bag". Fantastic job at a resonable cost, you can stuff a LOT of clothes in one. So good, we had a 2nd bag done just before we left the ship!:)

The cost by the piece is very expensive, but using either by the bag or un-limited is certainly worth it to us..

I don't have a dryer either but when in the supermarket I have tried to find dryer sheets but unfortunately they are not stocked here in Australia so when I have used the dryers on board ship, I have had to go without...Jennie

Jennie, Everyone seems to be calling them dryer sheets... Perhaps if you ask for "fabric softener sheets" for the dryer, you will find them..We use "bounce" fabric softener sheets which are made in Canada & imported to the U.S...Downey also has something similar...they have the sheets at Office depot, Sam's club, Costco (kirkland brand) & hardware stores as well as our supermarkets..You might find them on the Internet at low cost..If you can't find them, perhaps someone on one our your roll calls would be willing to pick some up for you..You can keep them in a Zip lock bag forever..Hope you find them..

Betty

Archived