Brazil Visa Application process

beege1936

Barjolov,

My husband and I will be on the same cruise as you, 2/2/10 on the Star princess. We also applied for the Brazilian visa as we are going to Rio after the cruise. Since we live in the San Francisco bay area, we decided to submit the application in person. We followed all the rules on their website, filled in forms on line, made appointment, etc. and was given a time on Dec 18. We really didn't wait that long until we were seen and was told our visa will be ready to be picked up on Jan 6. The whole process went pretty smoothly. We heard visa take a bit longer down in the LA area. I do wish you the best of luck and be able to get your visa soon.

Have you enrolled on our 2/2/10 roll call? We will have a meet and greet on the first sea day. Please come and join us. Where in Brazil are you going?

Barjolov,

My husband and I will be on the same cruise as you, 2/2/10 on the Star princess. We also applied for the Brazilian visa as we are going to Rio after the cruise. Since we live in the San Francisco bay area, we decided to submit the application in person. We followed all the rules on their website, filled in forms on line, made appointment, etc. and was given a time on Dec 18. We really didn't wait that long until we were seen and was told our visa will be ready to be picked up on Jan 6. The whole process went pretty smoothly. We heard visa take a bit longer down in the LA area. I do wish you the best of luck and be able to get your visa soon.

Have you enrolled on our 2/2/10 roll call? We will have a meet and greet on the first sea day. Please come and join us. Where in Brazil are you going?

Hi,

I'm sorry, I made a typo - our cruise is 3/2/10. One month after yours. Glad everything went well with your visa. I have just heard so many horror stories that it is freaking me out. I have too much invested in this cruise now to be told I can't go. Besides, for us, this is our cruise of our lifetime. I am so looking forward to it. Would love to hear all about your cruise when you get back. When do you return? Please stay in touch. Our email is: lovettatshiloh@hotmail.com You can either write me there or on this thread.

To all who've returned from Brazil and their cruises by this point, welcome home...

...and now, here's OUR conundrum...

Like many of you on this thread, we're Canadian with Canadian Passports. Unlike you however, we live in the U.S. as permanent residents.

I've filled out e-mail questionaires on the Brazilian Consulate sites (Canadian and U.S.) and posed the "where to we fall" question to Visa services, but to this point haven't received a response from anyone.

Any similar experiences out there?

Greetings all...I've popped into this board from another on "Brazil Visas" to ask a question of Mighty Quinn ... On that board, you mention a great Rio guide. By any chance would you be willing to e-mail a fellow Canadian a contact or whatever info you may have laying around about this guide?
Hi! I thought I would answer your question here. I'm very happy to give you info about our guide in Rio.

We used RioPlus, a small company owned by 2 women with a long history in the travel industry in Brazil. Most of our e-mail correspondence was handled by Leticia & our guide was Valeria. Both were professional, organized and a lot of fun. Valeria met us at GIG airport when we arrived & she transferred us to the Ipanema Plaza (which we had arranged directly). Next day we did Rio sightseeing with her. We were fortunate to have good weather & visited Christ Redeemer; Tijuca Forest; Sugarloaf; Sao Bento Monastery; Copa/Ipanema Beaches; Flamenco Park; Sambodromo; Metropolitan Cathedral; Selaron Stairway; and Colombo Tea House. Finally on cruise day, she picked us up at the hotel & transferred us to the cruise port. We had a wonderful time with RioPlus & can recommend them highly. All their contact info & details are on their website. Have fun in Rio!

http://www.rioplus.net/html/about_us.html

Boy am i excited. After only 13 days, i have just received an email from zvs saying my visas are on the way and will arrive to our home tomorrow. It was expensive but what a great service and since i didn't want to go to la from idaho, it was great. I asked for a positive story from someone - well i have my own positive story now.

YES, YES, YES: I also got an e-mail yesterday that my visa has been shipped UPS next day delivery, so I should have it sometime today. I used ZVS, mailed on 12/8 and completed on 3/30.

Best wishes to all those still waiting, it will come!!!

Wow, it will really be FUN to get Visa for USA passport holders!:confused:

No worries, Brasil's Visa is good for 5 years. Visit Brasil for a few weeks sometime from 2011 to 2015 and you are set.

I hope to spend a few months a year in Brasil (wishful thinking). My current Visa will expire in 2014.:cool:

Jay

Just my two cents' worth:

Sent off for my visa on Monday (1/4/10) by mail to Atlanta. Got it back on Thursday (1/7/10)!! I think that was some sort of speed record!

After reading the previous, worrisome posts, I really thought I'd be waiting a lot longer, only to find out I messed up something and would have to re-apply.

I carefully read and followed the instructions, though, and fortunately all went without a hitch!

Now I can look forward to seeing this lovely country...

We just received a note from a Visa Processing agent that beginning Jan. 11, 2010 they will no longer require that you first use your new Brazilian visa within 90 days of issue.

*** CONFIRM THIS WITH YOUR LOCAL CONSULATE BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR A NEW VISA ***

iF TRUE, this means that you can apply several months ahead of the departure.

The Visa process formerly required a new visa to be activated for the first time to remain active for its 5-year period. This first use had to occur within 90-days of being issued by the consulate. Effectively this kept people from applying more than 90-days in advance of departure, lest they get a quick response and have a visa that would be issued too early.

This is very good news and means that you should apply for the Brazilian Visa as soon as you book your trip to Brazil.

Disclaimer: I received this notice from a Passport/Visa processing company and I've not confirmed this with the consulate.

For my knowledge base. I drove to the New York City Brazilian Consulate on Friday to drop of my documents and will pick them up along with Visa on Wednesday. Not only did I save $140 by skipping the use of an agency but saw the Consulate and had a fine lunch in the city.

Rick

Another positive experience--we applied by mail to the Miami consulate and received our visa today, 10 days after we mailed the applications. If you read and follow the instructions carefully there is no need to spend the extra money for a service to deliver your documents for you. I don't know if they are issuing any visas for less than 5 years, but we were pleased that the ones we received are 5-year visas. My biggest complaint, aside from the exorbitant cost, is the requirement that each application be sent separately.

Archived