Brazil Visa Application process

beege1936

Great news!! -- the Brazilian Consulate in LA is able to expedite application process for cruise passengers. You must go through a Service and use the "OLD FORM." I checked this out With Travisa in LA today, filled out forms and FedEx-ed everything to them. I believe we will have them back in a couple of weeks. Feeling pretty relieved at the moment. I found the info in this posting on October 3 to be most helpful.

Originally Posted by Calypso Inspiration viewpost.gif

We were told today by Princess and TraVISA that the embassy in LA has agreed to allow expedited service only for cruise passengers and they must use a 3rd party for processing. TraVISA was very forthcoming and said as of today they now can go to the embassy on a regular basis without appointments to get these processed. They also noted that you must use the "OLD FORM" not the new web form. They emailed us the form after we provided our email address. The fees were the same as what has already been mentioned $50 + $20 embassy fee and they said it would take about 10-days to process. I agree - this seems to be a great company. The number for the LA Office is (323) 932-7300

Because of all the problems and Zvs declining to handle visas out of the La Office I went to a service in San Diego and it was sent out Sept 15 th , Now Holland America say that ZVS will special handle these Visas but they want the old form used ????. I talked to the visa man today and he seems to think it will get to me in time, "thinks" isn't too reassuring as my cruise leaves Oct 31 09. This is such a pain!!!

FWIW, someone on our roll call reported that some appointments have also opened up for the LA consulate, so if you're somewhere you can actually get to it in person, check their appointment system again, maybe you can get an appointment now.

Presumably you have cleared this with the cruiseline and obtained its permission to board without a Brasilian visa and disembark in Bs As. If not, I recommend that you do so without delay.

owl,

Yes all has been set up through Princess.....they told us that it would be no problem getting off in BA and we have the changes made. Glad others have not had a problem and even with LA "opening up" for processing I am breathing easier to know I don't have to worry about getting my PP back in time.

We were only getting off in Rio to fly right home so I don't feel to badly. Now we will spend a little more time in BA. IT'S ALL GOOD!

Nancy

I am really sad to hear of all the problems with the Brazilan visas. I have traveled to Brazil for the past 3 years on land vacations and never had the problems you are experiencing. I have used a visa service for all 3 trips, twice using a company in Atlanta and this past summer a company in San Fransico. I have never waited more than 3 weeks. It makes me glad to know that the 5 year visa I got this past summer was worth it. It means I won't need to go through all the problems everyone else is having.

Please do not skip getting off the ship in Brazil. Brazil is a wonderful country and the people you will meet are so friendly. Iguzau Falls are beautiful and worth the trip to see them.

Brazilgirl, I will be back in your country next summer for another 2 weeks. This time I will be splitting my time between Sao Paulo and Brasilla and the surrounding areas. I love your country.

Good luck everyone in getting your visas in time and enjoy your time in Brazil.

The headline in the CC "news" today is about the problems with Brazilian visas.Check it out if you haven´t.

It really is worth a visit , even through all the frustration. Because it is such a huge and diverse country , once you all get your visas you should come back for a land visit and explore the Pantanal (the widest variety of birds in the world , jaguars, alligators , capivara , snakes...), the gorgeous islands of Fernando de Noronha (google them!) , the charming colonial town of Parati , the caves and crystal waters of Bonito....so many options!

When you visit Suncoastgirl , if you need any tips , feel free to ask! I live near São Paulo.

Kim

Unforunately you have three issues here.

Typically, the visas from Brazil for USA citizens can be a slow process. When we applied in November of 2006, they took around three weeks as they held all of the ones from our cruise and released them all at once.

Second, on top of their problems typically as we see with other types of government related offices, whether it be in the USA or around the world, they can be slow and they are typically not sensitive to their customers.

Finally, they went to a new process. I am reminded of the fiasco just a couple of years ago with the turn around on new USA passports. I remember hearing horror stories of the turn around times taking months. So, this is a reminder that this is not just a Brazil issue.

Nevertheless, I know how frustrating and nerve racking it is for those going through the process. In the first part of next year we will be in Brazil and we were pleased that the visa we got is good for five years (as long as you entered Brazil within 90 days of its initial issuance) so we didn't have to go through this again.

I wish everyone all the best on getting your visas and passports back sooner rather than later.

Keith

Keith 1010,

Good summary of the issues. While the change to the new system was a huge part, the problems really came for those required to use the LA Consulate. We all had to pay a lot and fill out reams (or so it seemed) of paperwork, but the process was clear for the other jurisdictions and similar to what I encountered the first two times I went to Brazil. When I first went in to start my Visa application process in September, I do remember thinking to myself, those poor folks needing to go through the LA consulate. At that time my only option would have been to fly to LA and apply in person.

In the first part of next year we will be in Brazil and we were pleased that the visa we got is good for five years (as long as you entered Brazil within 90 days of its initial issuance) so we didn't have to go through this again.Keith

We just received our 5 year valid Brazil Visa; however, our passports will have to be renewed before the end of the 5 years! It appears the Brazil Visa is integrated with the passport and would NOT be valid when the passport is renewed???

So what is the status of a valid visa in an expired/renewed passport?

We just received our 5 year valid Brazil Visa; however, our passports will have to be renewed before the end of the 5 years! It appears the Brazil Visa is integrated with the passport and would NOT be valid when the passport is renewed???

So what is the status of a valid visa in an expired/renewed passport?

We have friends who are in the same situation who are on our cruise in 2010. They were told by the visa service that they would not need a new visa. They will provide both passports when they board the ship. I have not verified this myself so I would suggest you contact one of the visa services to see if the concur.

Also, while you have the five year visa you need to also be sure that you know precisely where in the passport the stamp is from your entry into Brazil the first time as you have to show that you entered Brazil within 90 days from the issuance of that visa or it is no longer valid.

Keith

We have friends who are in the same situation who are on our cruise in 2010. They were told by the visa service that they would not need a new visa. They will provide both passports when they board the ship. I have not verified this myself so I would suggest you contact one of the visa services to see if the concur.

Also, while you have the five year visa you need to also be sure that you know precisely where in the passport the stamp is from your entry into Brazil the first time as you have to show that you entered Brazil within 90 days from the issuance of that visa or it is no longer valid.

Keith

I was just wondering, NOT currently any concern!

Thanks, I did not think they would be so REASONABLE!!

Several people in my family have had their passports expire before their visas expired.

They carried both documents (current passport/old passport with valid visa) and had no problems (they are all Americans with Brazilian visas).

Of course , it is important to check and make sure no changes in policy have been implemented.

Kim

I picked up our visas today, so we are all set for our December cruise. No problems at all, with the shots or the visa process. It helps when the consulate is a 20 minute walk from home.

Glad to hear you have them. You are very fortunate to live within a short walk from where you get them. Wow!

Keith

Yeh, well, that comes with living downtown in a major city. Just luck that it's so close, but a subway ride would have been almost as good.

They were all very nice in the office, as well. We have lots of Brazilians here in Toronto, as well as Portuguese. Perhaps that makes a difference.

Our tale is a positive visa one: We applied by mail (without visa service) to our Chicago consulate late Monday afternoon and received our visa packet back on Saturday morning -- same week. This just happened last week. We included copies of our driver's license and a signed attestation statement in our packet, to cover our bases.

It's nice to be relieved of this worry!

Our tale is a positive visa one: We applied by mail (without visa service) to our Chicago consulate late Monday afternoon and received our visa packet back on Saturday morning -- same week. This just happened last week. We included copies of our driver's license and a signed attestation statement in our packet, to cover our bases.

It's nice to be relieved of this worry!

Congrats!!! icon14.gif It is a relief once the visa is back in your hands. We had to use a "visa service" Our jurisdictin is New York, they Only accept "In Person or from 3rd parties. Way to many $$$$$ doing it ourself. Much cheaper using a service. It's to bad all the Brazil Consulates don't sing from the same song book. It would make life easier. I'm just happy I didn't have to deal with the L.A. Consulate. See ya onboard icon11.gif Judy

Congrats!!! icon14.gif It is a relief once the visa is back in your hands. We had to use a "visa service" Our jurisdictin is New York, they Only accept "In Person or from 3rd parties. Way to many $$$$$ doing it ourself. Much cheaper using a service. It's to bad all the Brazil Consulates don't sing from the same song book. It would make life easier. I'm just happy I didn't have to deal with the L.A. Consulate. See ya onboard icon11.gif Judy

Yes, we are so looking forward to this trip! I have a few more things on my list to complete, so will be busy trying to get those done this week. Then it's just the packing and double-checking the last details.

See you soon!

Marcia

Beege1936,

Will you please post again on this thread once you receive your visa? In about two months hubby and I will have to go through the exact same process with the San Francisco Brazilian consulate (we live in SF). But we are going to drop off the application and pick up the visa personally instead of using any mail service. We will leave for Rio on 2/18 right after the Star princess antarctica cruise. We plan to drop off the application in early December. Do you think that's a good time? Based on what you have gone through, will you suggest we should start the process earlier?

Thank you so much.

Lee Walker,

Just some more information, we used the SF Consulate, Overnight mail, and a Visa service. We had our passports w/Visa back in 17 days. This was last month. Considering 2 days in the mail, 2 days at each end with the Visa Service and two weekends, Consulate processing was about 7 business days.

We are going on the Dec. Oceania cruise. I have paid in full but have not received anything back from Oceania. Can I use the first confirmed email to get my visa or do I need to get my final documents. We had our pictures done and will be getting the yellow fever shot this week. We live in Atlanta so will do it in person. PH

Archived