where to rent a car in Anchorage?

Benji817

Hello all,

I'll be on the Amsterdam in May 2010, docking in Anchorage. My family and I would like to rent a car for the day, but I'm having trouble figuring out where we'll actually be docking and where the nearest car rental would be? We don't really want to take a cab to rent a car, would like to walk if it's possible, but I'm guessing it's not. :confused: Does anyone know the answer to this - an address maybe? I tried finding the info on Holland America's website with no luck, I will try calling next, but in the meantime thought I would throw it out here... :)

Maybe it would be easier to have Enterprise pick us up?

Thanks for your help!

The address of the port authority won't do you any good. I haven't seen which of the docks the cruise ships will use, but in any case it's beyond what most people would walk. So you'll need to take a cab or shuttle into town, and then any of the "downtown Anchorage" agencies will do.

Since it is relatively new for any cruise ship to actually dock in Anchorage, will there even be taxis at the dock? We, too, would like to rent a car in Anchorage when the Amsterdam docks on June 21. We would like to do some driving on our own rather than take a cruise excursion as we have been to Anchorage several times.

We used Hertz, just a few blocks away from the Hilton where we stayed. There are a lot of other hotels in that same area. Rates were cheap using a AAA card.

I just wanted to add that they are on 414 K.Street and we did walk there from the Hilton and when we returned the car, we walked back. The only catch is that the office is closed Sundays and has typical office hours. You can simply return the car to the garage at any time and use the drop box for keys and paperwork. In Anchorage it was the only way to go for us.

Our Anchorage story.

Perhaps you are right about docking in Anchorage. I was looking at those two 14 day cruises on the Amsterdam on the Vacations To Go site and they show it as Anchorage ( Seward ). Anyway, we spent a day and a half in Anchorage in July before our south bound cruise. We had a car reserved through Enterprise to be delivered to our hotel at 8:30 AM, we were given a real run around for a couple of hours and finally got our car and on the way at 10:35 AM. So I do not recomend Enterprise. We went to the Anchorage Visitor Center and the Alaska Visitor Center first and got information and directions on what to do and see and got a Raindeer hotdog from a sidewalk vendor. Note: be sure you put money in the parking meter the local police are quick to ticket. Then we did the following in that order:

Anchorage Museum

Alaska Native Heritage Center

Alaska Zoo

Ulu Factory

Ship Creek to watch Salmon run and fishermen

Moose's Tooth Resturant

Nothing expensive, but a full day and saw a lot of Anchorage, most of the places we used a Toursaver Coupon and saved $$$. Have fun

There was a coupon in the Tour Saver 2009 book for a BOGO rental from Avis downtown. Not sure if 2010 book will have it, but we found the prices at the ANC airport to be cheaper than the downtown location, and the hours were more convenient.

Archived