Carseat question for 3, 5 and 7 yr old

sunnykb19

We are cruising in Feb. This will be our first experience flying/cruising as a family. I have no idea what to do about car seats...I see that some shuttle companies have them from the airport to the port...what about the independent tours I'm booking...Do they have the same carseat laws/beliefs in Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel? Do I bring my own? What if we get a taxi? The 3 year old is in a 5 point and the other 2 are both in booster seats.. please help! :eek:

Outside the US, I don't think they require a car seat. However, Miami is definitely enforcing it. We were there last month and couldn't get a taxi without a car seat. We took the Suppershuttle instead. We were in Miami in April and had no problems. The carseats are a pain to carry, but if you have to you have to. Only other option is to take bus/shuttles everywhere.

I bring my own car seats. It's really bulky with the 5 point seat but it's worth it for safety issues. I was originally booked on a cruise that was very port extensive and I would have to take a taxi to go place. I decided that I was not going to do that since they drive like crazy in some places. I changed my cruise to port where we can walk or take water taxis. Be careful with shuttles and car seats. Someone posted that they had to wait quite some time for the car seats to arrive for the shuttle. If you bring your own you know the history of your car seat and know that it is safe. We store the seats under the bed or in the closet.

Enjoy your cruise!

Outside the US, I don't think they require a car seat.

Almost all developed countries require a car seat. Belize and Mexico are not two of them. IMO, you would be absolutely crazy not to have your child in a car seat if you took a private car/taxi in those countries.

Almost all developed countries require a car seat. Belize and Mexico are not two of them. IMO, you would be absolutely crazy not to have your child in a car seat if you took a private car/taxi in those countries.

I guess it's amazing that society survived the first 90 years of automobile travel without car seats? ;)

Growing up in the 70s my car seat was my dad's left leg while he was driving, he even let me work the turn signal once I was old enough.

I guess it's amazing that society survived the first 90 years of automobile travel without car seats? ;)

Growing up in the 70s my car seat was my dad's left leg while he was driving, he even let me work the turn signal once I was old enough.

Sure, we should all return to those glory days. After all, it only killed a small minority of the children, right? :rolleyes:

I am glad you had fun with your dad, but this post has no relevance to OP's question.

OP asked about child seat laws in Belize and Mexico. B & M do not require child seats. The roads in B & M are often very bad, traffic laws are not obeyed and/or enforced, and on many roads it looks like a free-for-all. It is not the same as in the US, which is bad enough.

I would not place a child in a taxi or private car in any country without the appropriate child safety restraint.

My kids are 8, 4, 2. We are also sailing on Dream.

We are renting a carseat for the rental car we are driving to and from the port. We are bringing 1 booster.

We do not use carseats on the plane.

We will be in shuttle type buses on our excursions as we are traveling with a group of 15. I will have my kids wear seatbelts if the vehicle has them.

I know that it is not the safest option but theres always what ifs.

I brought my twins' carseats on one vacation- never did again- too much hassle- I would stick to buses, but you have to decide what's best for you

I know this isn't related but had to comment after reading about sitting on the dad's knee(cute memory)- after 3 yrs of judicious carseat usage my kids were sent to preschool on a huge school bus without even a seatbelt

yes there is risks in everything, good luck and have fun whatever you decide

I'm restoring a 1965 Mustang.

I'll be adding rear seat belts, as they were an option back then.

I remember jumping around my dad's old Plymouth on our way to Disney. NYC to Disney, listening to Tony Orlando and Dawn on the 8 Track.

I arrange for shuttles and bus transportation.

• 2 months later...

What's the difference between no carseat in a car and no carseat in a shuttle? Same danger!

In Mexico, no carseat is required so you'll easily be able to get a ride. I saw women driving mopeds while cradling infants... it's up to you what you want to risk. Be aware that most of those taxis don't have seatbelts so NO ONE will be secured. It greatly depends on your tour company if they have seatbelts and carseats. Just ask. Then decide.

What's the difference between no carseat in a car and no carseat in a shuttle?

The difference is momentum which is a function of velocity and mass. The mass of a car is much less than that of a shuttle vehicle. In a collision, the shuttle vehicle occupants are protected by the mass of the vehicle. Occupants of a car are much less protected. It is not the same risk.

Archived