Port Canaveral- shuttle info and where to stay

zzrobot

We flew in the day before last year. Rented a car, drove down and went about our way. Embarkation day we dropped off our luggage at the port, returned the car, and took their free shuttle back to the port.

I know there are shuttles that leave Orlando and go down to the port but I am not sure of prices.

We stayed at the Raddison...nice hotel. They have a free shuttle over to the port but from what I understand you should tell them early on that you need it...can get filled quickly.

We flew in the day before, rented a car from Orlando for one day, drove to the Radisson. Was able to use the car for dinner and running to the store for any last minute items. Then the next morning, we had breakfast at the hotel, drove the car to rental agency and they brought us and our luggage to the port. Worked perfectly.

Hazeleye3 is correct - Radisson does have a shuttle but it fills really quickly. If we would have needed it, the earliest shuttle time they had left was 2pm - and with our ship leaving at 4pm that would have given only 30 min to drive from the hotel to the port, check luggage, go thru the lines and check in (to be checked in 90 min prior like the rule is now). That would have been to close for my comfort.

Kathy

I sailed out of Port Canaveral in May. We wanted to start our vacation off right so we flew into Orlando a day early and rented a car. We ended up at Hard Rock Live and cought a very funny comedian. We crashed the night at the Baymont Inn on Canada ave, which rates were very reasonable for just a one night lay over until we boarded the Glory. Its about a 35 min trip were we returned the rental car to the avis by the port. Once we returned from our trip we hopped on the shuttle provided by avis to the rental car parking lot where we picked up another car which we drove back into orlando to catch our flight. To rent the car it ran us about $30 for the whole trip, where your shuttle is going to cost roughly 70 per person for a round trip.

I sailed out of Port Canaveral in May. We wanted to start our vacation off right so we flew into Orlando a day early and rented a car. We ended up at Hard Rock Live and cought a very funny comedian. We crashed the night at the Baymont Inn on Canada ave, which rates were very reasonable for just a one night lay over until we boarded the Glory. Its about a 35 min trip were we returned the rental car to the avis by the port. Once we returned from our trip we hopped on the shuttle provided by avis to the rental car parking lot where we picked up another car which we drove back into orlando to catch our flight. To rent the car it ran us about $30 for the whole trip, where your shuttle is going to cost roughly 70 per person for a round trip.

Good info on the car rentals. Thanks

Thank you for the information. We are leaving on the Glory on Nov 14. Our friends will be taking us to the pier, but on our return, we will need to find a way back to the airport. My job today was to find out about rental cars. You did my job for me.

Do you reserve them in advance or just take the shuttle and rent one on the spot?

Thanks

Linda

Thank you for the information. We are leaving on the Glory on Nov 14. Our friends will be taking us to the pier, but on our return, we will need to find a way back to the airport. My job today was to find out about rental cars. You did my job for me.

Do you reserve them in advance or just take the shuttle and rent one on the spot?

Thanks

Linda

I would def. reserve, you would pay a premium with walk up on the day of.

There is a whole section here at Cruise Critic that deals with exactly these questions. Under North American Homeports, choose East Coast Departures, then Florida departures. Here is the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

You also have an active roll call. I am sure there are folks discussing this very thing, so go and join in...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=802457

Do you find the after dropping off the car that the shuttle back to the port is super busy and a long wait? I would assume there would be tons of other people doing the same thing at the same time??

We were able to get on the first shuttle to the port from the rental car agency. And we were glad that we did not try to drop our luggage off first because it took him almost an hour to drop us off because of traffic.

Also, I think it is imperative that you reserve in advance. Most agencies had no cars available if you didn't already have a reservation.

Kathy

We stayed at the Radisson a couple of weeks ago when we were leaving 9/5 on the Glory. Very nice hotel, clean, comfy. When you book your reservation you go ahead and book your time on the shuttle to the cruise ship too. As others have said, reserve your room/shuttle early. I booked my hotel 2 months before the cruise and at that point the earliest shuttle was noon. The hotel is only a couple of minutes from the ship and the shuttle is fast and efficient. The have a trailer they pull behind the bus for luggage so there is plenty of room. They told us where they would be parked when we returned from our cruise and by the time we got to that place, the shuttle was pulling in and we were able to load up and head to our cars. WARNING: The hotel will tell you to either park in the very front on in a back lot for your cruise parking. We found out 5 SUVs were had their windows smashed that week...these sounded to be vehicles where people had left radar detectors and GPS systems in plain view as the shuttle driver said the didn't steal radios and things. It was quick in and out! Always make sure you do not leave those sorts of items in view!

We dropped the car off at the avis rental in port canaveral too their shuttle to the port got in line and was one of the first groups of people on the ship, Same for the way home our ship was two hours behind because we had to make an emergency stop in st maarten to drop on an indivdual didnt get back into port canaveral until about 9, hopped on the avis shuttle picked up our car drove to orlando dropped off our car and still made it on our noon flight. I would deffinatly do it the same again.

We stayed at the Residence Inn which is next to the Radisson. It is only about 3 years old and was very nice with a good free breakfast buffet. We are going on the Dream July 17 and plan on doing the same thing again. I dropped off the family and luggage and then went back and dropped the rental car off at budget. The whole process took about 1/2 hour.

We flew in the day before, rented a car from Orlando for one day, drove to the Radisson. Was able to use the car for dinner and running to the store for any last minute items. Then the next morning, we had breakfast at the hotel, drove the car to rental agency and they brought us and our luggage to the port. Worked perfectly.

Hazeleye3 is correct - Radisson does have a shuttle but it fills really quickly. If we would have needed it, the earliest shuttle time they had left was 2pm - and with our ship leaving at 4pm that would have given only 30 min to drive from the hotel to the port, check luggage, go thru the lines and check in (to be checked in 90 min prior like the rule is now). That would have been to close for my comfort.

Kathy

Hey Kathy how are you! I know we never meet up on the Glory but we had a great time!

Not to hack this thred I agree that the Radisson is the best idea for the money and get a shuttle from the rental... Radisson shuttle fills up quickly!

Have stayed at both Doubletree and Radisson. Both were great. If you are shuttling from orlando check out Cocoa Beach Shuttle, most reasonable we found. And,if you dont want to wait for the free hotel shuttle, they will take you to the port at any time you want for 4 bucks and will be waiting for you when you get back off the ship. Great service. Have a great cruise

Archived