NCL SUN - Owner's Suite

scg6281

Has anybody stayed in the NCL SUITE (Owner's Suite) on the SUN. We are booked in this suite for the end of the month and are getting pretty excited about the whole trip. Any experience, thoughts, tips, facts about this suite would be awesome. Looking forward to what you guys have to say!

Stephen

Here is a start. Standard list of amentities for Cat AA:

Suite A1 – AA

Embarkation:

1 bottle of French Champagne

1 Floral Arrangement

1 Small Tray of Hors D’oeuvres

1 Fruit Basket

1 Bottle of Spring Water

1 Bottle of Sparkling Water

3 Bottles of Liquor from Menu (AA Only)

6 Sodas

Bath Amentities:

Conditioning Shampoo (Dispenser)

Bath Gel (Dispenser)

Moisturizing Lotion

Cotton Balls & Q-Tip Caddie

Aloe Facial Soap

Citrus Body Bar

Glycerine Soap

Theraputic Hand Cream

Chamomile Night Cream

Bath Salts

Loofah Mitt

Shower Cap

Sewing Kit

Other: Butler Service

Concierge Service

DVD and CD Player w/library

Alarm Clock

Bath Robes (upgraded)

Feather Pillows

Upgraded Linen and Towels

Binoculars

Padded Hangers

Time Fax Daily

Full Breakfast Menu

24 hr room service (Butler menu)

Warm Face Towels, embarkation

Glass of Chamapagne, embarkation

In Suite Dining

Shoe Shine Service(Butler)

Complimentary pressing on Captain’s

Welcome Night

Pant Press & Shoe horn/Lint Brush in Closet

Personal Computer with Printer

Turn Down Food Amenity (formal night)

Duvets

Mints on Pillow

NCL Shopping Bags

Safe

Refrigerator

Hair Dryer

Hotel Services Book

We loved the Owner's Suite on the Sun. We had cabin 1003, Christmas 2002, and 1203, Christmas 2003. Also, our teens were in the BA cat next to us, which was adjoining (had a door that we unlocked so they could come and go into our cabin if they wanted). If I remember correctly, there was a DVD player and nice stereo system, so bring your cds. It is a big suite, which has a very nice bathroom, separate bedroom, and an extra bathroom (toilet with sink) near the entrance, which was nice. The best part is the hot tub on the deck. We used it almost every night, and when we got back from port. You can fill it up when you want, and make the temperature how you like it. Then, drain it after. We brought some scented "spa oil" (coconut mango), which really made it nice!

We had dinner one night in the suite, and the butler brought everything to us in courses. It was a very relaxing dinner.

We tipped our concierge up front (we always tip the room steward and butler/steward up front also), and I think this really helped with getting into the alternative dining restaurants when ever we wanted. We could make a reservation the night of, which was nice. Also, the concierge took us down when we tendered in port, and put us in the front of the line. He really took great care of us.

The only negative I can say about the suites, is that they are in the front, and on our second cruise the weather was bad. We were really rocking in the suite, and our kids needed seasickness medication for a couple of days. We usually book the aft of the ship (over the wake), and never had a problem before, so we are better prepared with our ginger tabs/Bonine that we bring with us now. But the view in front was awesome!

If you have anymore questions, let me know. You are going to love being in the Owner's Suite. Have a wonderful cruise! ~Debbi

I hope whoever is in 1203 will leave the door unlocked for us (we are in 1202) so that we can use their hot tub!! We will let them borrow our 2 teenagers...think it's a good deal? We sail 3/26, let me know if you are interested!

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

We're in cabin 1203 3/26/2005. The hot tub may be out as we have one 11 year old girl who would probably be thrilled to hear there are 2 -15 year old boys next door.:eek: Ha! Ha! We also have a 3 year old boy, so he's an early to bed cruiser. I know we'll look forward to meeting you. See you at the ship.:)

We are trying to set up a meeting for parents and teens (posted over on the roll call board). We plan to meet right after the lifeboat drill in the observation lounge - I want to see how much of our balcony you can see from there. I don't think your daughter is old enough for the teen program, but she could meet a few other kids if you stop by. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll run into you!

Hi again,

The kids meet on the sun sounds like fun. I have seen a few people reply to your suggestion to meet that also have girls my daughter's age. This sounds like a great thing. We'll see you soon.:)

• 9 years later...
We loved the Owner's Suite on the Sun. We had cabin 1003, Christmas 2002, and 1203, Christmas 2003. Also, our teens were in the BA cat next to us, which was adjoining (had a door that we unlocked so they could come and go into our cabin if they wanted). If I remember correctly, there was a DVD player and nice stereo system, so bring your cds. It is a big suite, which has a very nice bathroom, separate bedroom, and an extra bathroom (toilet with sink) near the entrance, which was nice. The best part is the hot tub on the deck. We used it almost every night, and when we got back from port. You can fill it up when you want, and make the temperature how you like it. Then, drain it after. We brought some scented "spa oil" (coconut mango), which really made it nice!

We had dinner one night in the suite, and the butler brought everything to us in courses. It was a very relaxing dinner.

We tipped our concierge up front (we always tip the room steward and butler/steward up front also), and I think this really helped with getting into the alternative dining restaurants when ever we wanted. We could make a reservation the night of, which was nice. Also, the concierge took us down when we tendered in port, and put us in the front of the line. He really took great care of us.

The only negative I can say about the suites, is that they are in the front, and on our second cruise the weather was bad. We were really rocking in the suite, and our kids needed seasickness medication for a couple of days. We usually book the aft of the ship (over the wake), and never had a problem before, so we are better prepared with our ginger tabs/Bonine that we bring with us now. But the view in front was awesome!

If you have anymore questions, let me know. You are going to love being in the Owner's Suite. Have a wonderful cruise! ~Debbi

Debbi:

Thanks so much for the great info!! We are booked in the owners suite 1003 on the Sun coming up. I like your idea about tipping the concierge and butler up front. Since this is our first cruise in this type of accommodation, we are clueless about how much we should tip these people. Could you share with me?

Thanks,

Zata

Debbi:

Thanks so much for the great info!! We are booked in the owners suite 1003 on the Sun coming up. I like your idea about tipping the concierge and butler up front. Since this is our first cruise in this type of accommodation, we are clueless about how much we should tip these people. Could you share with me?

Thanks,

Zata

We going be in 1203 in February

We never tip up front but that just our personnel preference

Just as a note here, this thread being from 2005, there may have been some changes so you may want to search threads that are a little more recent.

Have fun.

Debbi:

Thanks,

Zata

Zata: You'll find every opinion possible about when and how much to tip the butler & concierge when sailing in a suite. Our own preference is not to tip up front, because we believe tipping is supposed to be an acknowledgement of superior service received, not an additional payment up front for services you should, or hope to, receive.

Having said that, if you know you will be requiring services above and beyond the norm (restaurant reservations and priority tendering assistance are normal services), it wouldn't hurt to start off by telling the butler and concierge of your needs and expectations in advance, and accompanying this with a gratuity if you want.

How much to tip depends on the number of people in your suite, the length of your cruise, and how much you ask for extra service. There are no hard and fast rules, unfortunately. For a 7 day cruise, just the two of us (and we don't ask for a lot of extra services), we will typically tip the butler $100, the Concierge $50 to $100, and we also tip our cabin steward around $10 per day. We do this because we've found that the cabin steward often has the greatest impact on your comfort and well-being during the cruise, and even though we know they are in the DSC pool, we think it's worth it acknowledge their work on our behalf.

Edited by VideoTech

Just as a note here, this thread being from 2005, there may have been some changes so you may want to search threads that are a little more recent.

Have fun.

The question I answered was from the other day can't get more recent than that

I understand that you were only answering the recent question, but it was simply a note to let Zata know that it could have some info that may no longer be applicable. Did you happen to check the rest of the thread to ensure everything was up to date?

It's not BTW, so it was just a heads up. I'll remember not to include you on future posts of this kind. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I understand that you were only answering the recent question, but it was simply a note to let Zata know that it could have some info that may no longer be applicable. Did you happen to check the rest of the thread to ensure everything was up to date?

It's not BTW, so it was just a heads up. I'll remember not to include you on future posts of this kind. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers

r

Is there a roof over the hot tub? Thanks

• 1 month later...
We will sail soon in 1203 (category SB). Realizing this thread started in 2005, is there still a DVD player in this category of suite?

Yes, we were in 1003 and there was a DVD player. We found their selection DVDs very slim and outdated, you may want to bring your own.

Each ship has about 100 DVD's, everything from very current to quite old. It is first come, first served, so if you wait there might not be much left. If everyone would return them as finished it would work well. Some want to keep a bunch in their room (just in case) and it makes selection difficult at times. If you bring your own, some have reported compatibility issues (I don't know what that means). If the list of DVD's is not in your room, ask right away, the Butler should be able to help you.