Can you get Euros while on a Med. Cruise?

tz84kz

Our experience in Europe is that ATMs are much more abundant than in US, so "hunting one down" will not be a problem at all. The exchange rate at an ATM is much, much better than that on the ship and if your bank has a "no ATM fee" policy, you'd be way ahead.

Unless the ship has a machine on it, then you cannot get euros from the reception desk. I only have experience from a machine that was on a Princess Ship years ago and did not use it because the rates were very poor.

If you feel that you need some euros before the trip, then you can get some either at most airports in the USA when you begin your trip or at many local banks. I normally wait till I arrive in Europe and get them at an ATM Machine.

This is the web site I use to look up exchange rates which was mentioned in an earlier post.

THe site is: http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

I also print out a little sheet that goes into my wallet right before the cruise from the web site that help in the conversion.

On a related note, be sure to contact your credit card companies and your ATM card banks before you go on the cruise to let them know the dates and itinerary for your cruise so that they don't think any of the transactions are fraudulent.

Keith

I'm heading out on Voyager of the Seas and was wondering if it is possible to get Euros while on the ship? I'll be bringing some with me, but don't want to hunt down ATM machines in ports.

Thanks.

Thanks all, you have been a big help. We are getting some Euros through American Express Travel(they have them on hand at there offices). We also found out that AAA offices also have Euros. Good information to know in case you want them, but don't have the lead time to go through your bank to get them.

Also, we have notified our bank and cc company about our traveling outside the U.S., but your right its a good idea.

Thanks all, you have been a big help. We are getting some Euros through American Express Travel(they have them on hand at there offices). We also found out that AAA offices also have Euros. Good information to know in case you want them, but don't have the lead time to go through your bank to get them.

Also, we have notified our bank and cc company about our traveling outside the U.S., but your right its a good idea.

Hello,

Despite some popular misconceptions about Europe, you will find ATMs at banks everywhere. Make sure though that your ATM card is part of a network recognized around the world. Not all ATMs will have evryone's network. I found that the major banks such as HBSC and Santander are your best bet. Further, do not hesitate to ask properous looking people to help you when you are in Europe. The ATMs are the same as here but sometimes the instructions will be in the country's language and then in English. It is great fun though to figure how to use an ATm and watch the Euros come out. An excellent source for Europe is Rick Steve's books. He tells you where the ATMS are by city, and gives great advice on European travel.

After researching for our Med cruise we found the rates for the euros at AAA to be high. :rolleyes: Paying for the last minyte convenience I guess. We bought just 500 euro from our large bank here with a much better rate. We then used only ATM's at the ports when we needed more. They are VERY easy to find and all of the ones we used had an English choice. We had no problems.

The worst place to exchange money is on the ship. We were recently on a Princess cruise. They charged $3.50 per transaction and had a wide spread in the exchange rates. I figured out that if you took $100 to the purser,converted it to Euros, turned around and converted the Euros back into $, they would give you $77.

Archived