Am I being too cheap?

Benji817

Hello all,

Here's my situation - I'm cruising with my mom January 3rd out of FLL. Ideally we would like to fly down the day before, directly into FLL. Airfare one-way from STL to FLL is averaging $200 per person. :eek: So the cost for both of us (I'm paying for our airfare) would be $400 approximately, just to get us down there... MIA, on the other hand, is coming up approximately $125, or $250 total to get us down there the day before.

Last year we flew directly into FLL the day before the cruise, stayed at the Renaissance and had a nice relaxing night. Rates were also much cheaper.. :)

If we flew into MIA, do you think I could just get a nicer airport hotel (is there such a thing?) for one night... maybe one that offered a free shuttle back to the airport the next morning, and get cruise transfers (HAL) to the FLL port? Or does that plan sound too complicated? Should I just pay the extra $200 for convenience? Opinions please? Am I being too cheap? :o Has anyone had experience doing this before?

Thanks for your help!

Well there are nicer airport hotels, but they're still airport hotels - pretty boring and I certainly wouldn't want to spend part of my vacation stuck out by the airport.

Personally I'd fly into FLL if your cruise is leaving from Port Everglades. IMO the savings aren't worth the hassle. I'd fly into FLL and get a nice hotel on SE17th Street or along the beach. If you're on a budget read through some of the other threads, many are reporting some very good deals through Priceline or Hotwire.

I am staying at an MIA airport hotel in February for a weekend for a conference. The prices I pulled up for the hotels in the area ranged from $300 to $500 a night! So I think it may be even more expensive to stay there. Luckily I was able to get a conference group rate of $149. Airfares will probably drop between now and then anyway. I know it is hard to wait to book airfare for a cruise because you are afraid they will be booked. I would suggest that you keep checking for fare sales before you book, or fly into MIA and book a Ft lauderdale hotel through Priceline.

Well there are nicer airport hotels, but they're still airport hotels - pretty boring and I certainly wouldn't want to spend part of my vacation stuck out by the airport.

Personally I'd fly into FLL if your cruise is leaving from Port Everglades. IMO the savings aren't worth the hassle. I'd fly into FLL and get a nice hotel on SE17th Street or along the beach. If you're on a budget read through some of the other threads, many are reporting some very good deals through Priceline or Hotwire.

I agree with this completely.

Hello all,

Here's my situation - I'm cruising with my mom January 3rd out of FLL. Ideally we would like to fly down the day before, directly into FLL. Airfare one-way from STL to FLL is averaging $200 per person. :eek: So the cost for both of us (I'm paying for our airfare) would be $400 approximately, just to get us down there... MIA, on the other hand, is coming up approximately $125, or $250 total to get us down there the day before.

Last year we flew directly into FLL the day before the cruise, stayed at the Renaissance and had a nice relaxing night. Rates were also much cheaper.. :)

If we flew into MIA, do you think I could just get a nicer airport hotel (is there such a thing?) for one night... maybe one that offered a free shuttle back to the airport the next morning, and get cruise transfers (HAL) to the FLL port? Or does that plan sound too complicated? Should I just pay the extra $200 for convenience? Opinions please? Am I being too cheap? :o Has anyone had experience doing this before?

Thanks for your help!

We're flying into MIA but our cruise is out of Port Everglades. After doing some research (thank you to many CC members!!!) we booked a one-way car rental for $45 (taxes and everything) from MIA to FLL. We booked a 3.5* hotel (on Priceline) near FLL for $65 a night (all taxes and surcharges). We've been quite impressed with Priceline lately ... go lower than you think - you'll be surprised! Good luck!

We're doing the opposite. Flying into FLL and cruising out POM. Flights were $500 more to fly into MIA. Even with shuttle from FLL it still is cheaper for us. WE plan to get a shuttle from FLL to a Miami hotel (still to be determined) and then take a carb to the port (With shuttle back to FLL when we return). I would probably try to get from MIA to the Port Everglades area the day before and then take a cab (or service) to the port the next morning. Cruiesline transfers really don't seem that great to me-see what other options are out there. I'd run the numbers and see what works best for you.

You're being too cheap.

The $$$$ amount is not the only price you pay. Your time, convience, and quality also have a value that needs to be factored in.

I can save $50 but I have to schlep my luggage around, get a shuttle to a cheap hotel, get up even earlier in the morning, schlep my bags again, take another shuttle for an hour so I can finally get to the ship.

All that schlepping and shutteling around has a value. Is that value worth $10? $25?, $50?, priceless?

I've been lucky enought to have convenience on a budget. I have just had to plan for it. I have fun planning it too! It's part of the vacation experience for me.

In regards to flights, I count the cost of checking luggage in as well as the cost of the flight. Here from Tulsa, Southwest flies into FLL and while the flight is a bit more expensive it actually costs less since I don't have to pay for check bags. That's not the case for my next cruise. We fly in Jan. 29th which is pro bowl weekend and fly out Feb. 6 which is Superbowl weekend. Southwest is VERY expensive that weekend.

Because of the sports above, hotels were very expensive on the beach. However, I did get a great hotel (4*) close to the airport for $75 on Priceline. I was pleasantly suprised. It's close to shopping and dining, so I can pick up my Diet Dr. Pepper and water before heading to port the next morning.

Enjoy your cruise!

We're flying into MIA and some into FLL

taking cabs from the airports. I've been quoted $15-25 from FLL and $50-80 from MIA to Westin Diplomat

staying at Westin Diplomat in Hollywood for $90/night plus 4800 starpoints per room/night (4 rooms)

Supershuttle $80 for private van to take 11 of us to POM

How does this sound?

We're flying into MIA and some into FLL

taking cabs from the airports. I've been quoted $15-25 from FLL and $50-80 from MIA to Westin Diplomat

staying at Westin Diplomat in Hollywood for $90/night plus 4800 starpoints per room/night (4 rooms)

Supershuttle $80 for private van to take 11 of us to POM

How does this sound?

Your cab fare estimates are too low

We're flying into MIA but our cruise is out of Port Everglades. After doing some research (thank you to many CC members!!!) we booked a one-way car rental for $45 (taxes and everything) from MIA to FLL. We booked a 3.5* hotel (on Priceline) near FLL for $65 a night (all taxes and surcharges). We've been quite impressed with Priceline lately ... go lower than you think - you'll be surprised! Good luck!

I agree. This is the we go. Always fly in a day ahead to be sure your there. Flying in same day can be a little frusterating. Get a hotel on priceline for 17th st.(Downtown Ft.Lauderdale)I just got the Rennaisance 4 star for 80.00 plus fees. Rack rate is 189.00 for that night. Only downfall to 4 stars they normally dont provide shuttle service. Taxi is only 7.00 though. 3.5 stars seem to provide better perks.(shuttle,breakfast). Priceline is really the best way to go if your looking for a good deal for a night. Good luck!

Archived