Emerald Lake Drive by car or White Pass Summit Rail

Jimbo

Or would we have time for both,

White Pass Summit Rail

& Bus Excursion (3.5 hours)

Depart by Train-Return by Bus Leave at 7:30am

and then take a rental car up to Emerald Lake, how many miles from Skagway is it? with stops how much time would we need.

I know we could take the Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

(7.5 hours) Depart by Train-Return by Bus

But would we be missing something by not taking the drive up to Emerald Lake ourselves?

How much do one day rental cost 1st week of June in Skagway?

In port from 7am to 8:30pm

Jimbo:)

We took the Chilkoot Charter van and train excursion last week.Van up and train back.It was fantastic.Our tour guide Mike lives in Skagway year round and made many beautiful stops.His commentary on the area made the trip even more special.Emerald Lake is beautiful but it is on the main road.You really wouldn't miss anything except driving if you took their tour.It would be less expensive to rent a car but if you are planning to take the train anyway I think it would cost about the same and you would have more time on the train.

We took the Chilkoot Charter van and train excursion last week.Van up and train back.It was fantastic.Our tour guide Mike lives in Skagway year round and made many beautiful stops.His commentary on the area made the trip even more special.Emerald Lake is beautiful but it is on the main road.You really wouldn't miss anything except driving if you took their tour.It would be less expensive to rent a car but if you are planning to take the train anyway I think it would cost about the same and you would have more time on the train.

Think it matters what you do first? Train or Bus? Is it foggy in that area early in the morning? is Chilkoot Charters the same price whether you book ahead of time online or if you book it the day you are there?

If of interest, yes you can do both the rail and Klondike Highway. You have a nice block of port time. The White Pass RR is a definate highlight for history, engineering and superior scenery. The Klondike Highway offers you a trip into the Yukon. Emerald Lake is NOT a "destination", it's simply a turn around point. 75 miles one way from Skagway. Allow 4-5 hours for the drive. Necessary is to purchase Murray's Guide, greatly enhances your drive.

I would suggest the first train out, then the drive.

If of interest, yes you can do both the rail and Klondike Highway. You have a nice block of port time. The White Pass RR is a definate highlight for history, engineering and superior scenery. The Klondike Highway offers you a trip into the Yukon. Emerald Lake is NOT a "destination", it's simply a turn around point. 75 miles one way from Skagway. Allow 4-5 hours for the drive. Necessary is to purchase Murray's Guide, greatly enhances your drive.

I would suggest the first train out, then the drive.

I have The Mile Post Book. I see the South Klondike Highway, Rt 2 Heading north from Skagway but I don't really see Emerald Lake on the map. Is it between the Carcross Desert and Whithorse or is it before the Desert, I see Spirit Lake just past the Desert.

It must be pretty close to Lake Bennett I guess.

I have The Mile Post Book. I see the South Klondike Highway, Rt 2 Heading north from Skagway but I don't really see Emerald Lake on the map. Is it between the Carcross Desert and Whithorse or is it before the Desert, I see Spirit Lake just past the Desert.

The highway goes along a narrow strip of land between Spirit Lake and Emerald Lake, a few dozen feet from each.

We arrive in Skagway at 7:00 a.m. and ship departs at 5:00 p.m. If we pick up a car at 8:00 a.m. and return it by 3:30 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. (allowing time to return the car and get on board by 4:30 p.m.), we will have about 7.5 hours. Would that be enough time to drive from Skagway up to Emerald Lake, get some lunch along the way and get back into Skagway by 3:30 p.m.? Will we be rushing things in that amount of time?

Unless you are into trains and enjoy that atmosphere with a group, my choice would always be the car rental. We covered a lot more territory in less time than the train. We followed approx the same route. We saw the train on our trip but we went much further and had the freedom to stop many times to take pictures. For us the best part was enjoying the beauty and being the only people around at many of our picture taking stops. We did need to do our own research and didn't have a tour guide to tell us about the area but we found all of the information we needed by stopping at the visitors information office in SKagway after picking up our car. Avis charged $108 for the day and it was a very simple pick up and drive. There is plenty of time to drive to Emerald Lake (very pretty but not the highlight of the drive) and return to Skagway at a very easy pace.

We arrive in Skagway at 7:00 a.m. and ship departs at 5:00 p.m. If we pick up a car at 8:00 a.m. and return it by 3:30 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. (allowing time to return the car and get on board by 4:30 p.m.), we will have about 7.5 hours. Would that be enough time to drive from Skagway up to Emerald Lake, get some lunch along the way and get back into Skagway by 3:30 p.m.? Will we be rushing things in that amount of time?

Plenty of time!!!!! :)

We followed approx the same route. QUOTE]

Sorry, this is not true, the common views between the White Pass RR and Klondike Highway is only a couple miles. Scenery from the White Pass RR is superior on this section. Take a look at a map, and it sounds like you have not done both??

With a car rental you can go much farther and if a priority an easy drive into the Yukon. I've driven up to Whitehorse several times as welll as doing the White Pass RR.

Certainly they are top choices to make, but are different and depending on touring styles and priorities each is enjoyable.

What train ride is better ? Anchorage to Seward or the White Pass Summit Rail from Skagway to Fraser?

Very different. First off, you are taking a regular train vs narrow gage. The history is also way more significant on the White Pass. Engineering also more intense. :)

Archived