where are white buildings set against the blue water?

cruzobsessed

does anyone know where those picture postcard places in greece are? you know the beautiful blue water afainst the backdrop of those white houses on the cliff?

Here are some of the place with that "classic" buidling against the ocean:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=Santorini+&m=text

I chose the Santorini picture for my count down clock, as it sums up the Greek islands to me. There are hundreds of churches and family chapels on the island- some used only once a year, or for a family wedding.- jocap.

Santorini is also popular with honeymooners.

Check sites such as tripadvisor, online guides for the island, "packaged" trips through TAs and hotel booking sites.

As Santorini is an island with a tourist season which is not year round, locals need to make enouigh money to see them though the year and everything is imported onto the island. It can therefore be costly to stay here and your friend may find that cost dictates where she/they will stay. Meals, drinks etc are also quite expensive so she/they should be prepared for this.

I believe you are thinking of Santorini. Yes, it better than the photos.

The cruise ship will have to tender passengers into shore. You should get off the ship early since the only way to get up the hill is via a finicular (sp) or by a donkey path (very smelley).

We were off early, did our sightseeing and when we were returning to the ship (around noon), there must have been hundreds of older people standing in the sun waiting on line to take the finicular pp the hill. As I remember, the finicular (sp) doesn't carry many people on a trip.

If your cruise ship stays late (leaves port @ 11 or midnight), you might think of having dinner in one of the restaurants to see the sun set on the Mediterranean.

Enjoy

thanks for confirming what i was already thinking. i am helping my friend plan a land vacation for her 40th b'day. she does not want to cruise but wants to go to greece. if you were to go to santorini for a week where would you stay? any ideas?

There's any amount of hotels and villas on the Fira side of the island-the more expensive side- from Oia down to Fira itself. Google Santorini tourism, or look at the webcams galore site, which has views from hotels with adverts.

We stay on the other side, as we go with a young couple who can't afford to spend a lot. We stay at rather basic hotels which front onto the beach. We go on a package with Thomson's travel, which has its own planes, and flies from regional airports in the UK, for a very reasonable price. Of course, you can book the more expensive hotels with them, but our companions just need a beach, a pool and a quad bike.

On a Friday night, the air is full of flights from Athens bringing in business people for the weekend. Many tourists use Athens as a base, and come over by ferry. Island hopping is for the adventurous, and lots of backpackers come to the beach villages, where they can stay in basic rooms for very little. Enjoy planning!- jocap.

Archived