LA Times Article..No New Cruise Ships for Princess

grandmaa

And as Buckelew said in that interview (and he made a point of saying it!), they are also speaking with Mitsubishi... I don't think their shipyards are backed up... :rolleyes:

I am glad they are looking at Mitsubishi as I think their ships are very well built. While I can't point to the article - I read somewhere in the past couple of months that they are also very full (they are probably more diverse in what they build outside of the cruise industry) and it is just as difficult to schedule with them as the others.

I would also like to see Princess break out of the Grand class mold and design something new.

I agree with Coral, it would be nice to see another Mitsubishi built ship for Princess. I really love the Diamond and Sapphire. I recall an article about them when they were released, it mentioned how clean the ships were when they were built. The Japanese workers really did a great job and the staff didn't have to work nearly as hard to clean the ship to get it ready for its inaugural cruise.

I agree with Coral, it would be nice to see another Mitsubishi built ship for Princess. I really love the Diamond and Sapphire. I recall an article about them when they were released, it mentioned how clean the ships were when they were built. The Japanese workers really did a great job and the staff didn't have to work nearly as hard to clean the ship to get it ready for its inaugural cruise.

I also remember hearing how well built the ship was. How things fit together so much better compared to other shipyards. There is definitely something different (better) on the Sapphire (and Diamond) compared to the other ships - I think it is the shipyard.

The sapphire is certainly a nice ship and i am sure mitsubishi did a good job constructing them but remember the first one burnt almost to the water level and resulted in a long long delay until delivered. They ended up reversing names of the ships but i forget which one had the bad fire before being delivered

The sapphire is certainly a nice ship and i am sure mitsubishi did a good job constructing them but remember the first one burnt almost to the water level and resulted in a long long delay until delivered. They ended up reversing names of the ships but i forget which one had the bad fire before being delivered

The Diamond had the fire, the Sapphire build was then sped up and renamed to become the current Diamond. The burnt ship was repaired and is now the Sapphire. Fires occur, but I wouldn't use that fire to characterize the Mitsubishi builds as somehow not great.

While ships are still going out "full" the fares are so cheap to get them to "full" Princess is taking their time getting more.

In light of the economy, I think it is a smart move (as much as I want some newer, smaller ships).

From where I'm sitting in SW FL (amongst half built subdivisions in foreclosure) those chiming about the 'need' for new builds sound in tone like the real estate buyers and developers here circa 2005...

I guess Carnival doesn't want known as a 'cruise ship developer'!:D

The industry was flirting with disasterous over capacity prior to the meltdown IMHO.

Archived