Soho Room on the Star

llam

Hi all CC's I will be on the Star for the first time in December and have eaten in many of NCL's restaurants on past cruises, but never heard of the Soho room. Not much buzz about it on the boards; what kind of food is served, what is the cover and do you think it is worth it?

Hi all CC's I will be on the Star for the first time in December and have eaten in many of NCL's restaurants on past cruises, but never heard of the Soho room. Not much buzz about it on the boards; what kind of food is served, what is the cover and do you think it is worth it?

From NCL's website:

The SoHo Room

Located on Deck 6;

accommodates 102.

Savor cuisine as artful appetizers, entrées and desserts in this high-end Pacific Rim restaurant. There's even a cold-water tank where you can pick your own lobster.

From NCL's website:

The SoHo Room

Located on Deck 6;

accommodates 102.

Savor cuisine as artful appetizers, entrées and desserts in this high-end Pacific Rim restaurant. There's even a cold-water tank where you can pick your own lobster.

Thank you d man-The details from the NCL web site are helpful. Have you eaten in this restaurant? I would like honest CC members opinion of their dining experiance. Is there a cover charge, did you find it worth it. Any favorite foods or things to avoid. Thx in advance for sharring your thoughts.

Thank you d man-The details from the NCL web site are helpful. Have you eaten in this restaurant? I would like honest CC members opinion of their dining experiance. Is there a cover charge, did you find it worth it. Any favorite foods or things to avoid. Thx in advance for sharring your thoughts.

Two of us ate there June 2008 on an Alaska cruise. Cover was $15. Room was almost empty. I asked the maitre 'd about the very low number of diners, and he said that for some reason the Soho room is not popular on the Alaska cruises, but more popular on the Mexican Riviera cruises. Who knows why?

Everyone has his/her own ideas as to what constitutes a good meal. The menus on the ships change over time, so the items we had a year ago may be gone. The one item I remember not liking at all was the "chocolate tempura" dessert. I love tempura and I love chocolate, but that combination did not work for me. I remember reading one other review last year by someone who also hated that dessert. But the "fix" was easy - I just ordered a different dessert.

So, by all means eat in Soho. I would go back, but might be reluctant to enter if the room is almost vacant.

We were on the Star in August and went to Soho. We would make this our first choice of surcharge restaurant if we were to go on the Star again.

Unfortunately we went on our last evening - we enjoyed our meal so much that, had we gone earlier in the cruise, we would have gone again!! I can't remember what the surcharge was but we thought it was well worth it. There was however, no live lobster available - it had been sold out from about the second day of our cruise! As another poster stated, the restaurant was very quiet when we were there but it was an Alaskan cruise.

I agree with everything you have been told so far. My DDP and I enjoyed Soho twice on our Thanksgiving Cruise last year. The food is what I would call Comtemporary American. DDP had the tuna tartare appetiser both visits...it was very tasty. The presenation was a little over the top but fun. I paid extra for the foie gras appetiser the first trip..well worth the five or seven dollars...so very good. The other time, I had some soup, but can't remember what it was. I remember I thought it was fine, not fabulous, DDP didn't like it. If I remember correctly, one of us had veal chop and one of us had lamb chops....both were good but one was OUTSTANDING - I think it was the veal. The next trip, I had the steak, it had an asian glaze...if was fine but not nearly as good as the veal or lamb. Cpdad is 100% right about the dessert, it was not up to par with everything else in the restaurant. I think our last trip, I asked them to bring us something from LeBistro since it was right next door. I can't say I can agree with the idea that the restaurant is more full on the Mex Riviera sailings...it was pretty empty everytime we were there..but whats not to like about that. We had GREAT service especially after the Ships Restaurant Manager who we met at the CC M&G stopped by our table to say hello!

Have a great cruise!

the 2 times we visited SOHO there were not many diners in there..but, we are early diners and on one visit we had a early bird special..buy one get one..

as the evening wore on more and more people were coming in and by the time we finished it was pretty crowded..

each time the wife chose her lobster..*poor thing*, something about seeing a creature swiming around and the next time you see it..it s on your plate:confused:

and i tried the tiger prawns and next time the filet..both very good..

We were on the Star a couple weeks ago, and Soho was our first Specialty restaurant (and since that's also where the Jazz brunches and the Taste of India buffet were, it turned out to be where we spent the most time). Our dinner was very good, my warm vichyssoise with smoked salmon appetizer was one of the tastiest things I had all week. BF had a good tuna tartare, and for main I had the surf & turf (very good) and BF had a sizzling beef tenderloin on udon (I think) noodles, something that he would never have ordered at home, but this was a good chance to step outside the comfort zone!

Enjoy yourself!!

One other thing: Soho is one of the restaurants with a great view, we always were able to get a window seat. So, it worked in our favor that the place was never packed!

We were on the Star a couple weeks ago, ...

Enjoy yourself!!

One other thing: Soho is one of the restaurants with a great view, we always were able to get a window seat. So, it worked in our favor that the place was never packed!

It's too bad they don't open it for lunch more often, I'll have to remember to stop there for the Jazz brunch.

On the Star last week the cover charge for Soho was $25, plus an additional $10 for the live lobster. The room was almost empty. The lobsters in the tank looked pretty small.

I was thinking about maybe trying Soho when we cruise next month, but at that price I think I changed my mind.

Archived