Fish taco in SD and what else?

ppwlee

Hi,

We are doing post cruise in SD at the moment, and heard about the famous fish taco and mexican food in SD. Can anyone recommend a place for either one? We are staying in Keamy Mesa and about 20mins drive from downtown. Perfer kids friendly places too due to our 2yr old. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

We are doing post cruise in SD at the moment, and heard about the famous fish taco and mexican food in SD. Can anyone recommend a place for either one? We are staying in Keamy Mesa and about 20mins drive from downtown. Perfer kids friendly places too due to our 2yr old. Thanks in advance.

Try Old Town Mexican Cafe in Old Town. Easy to find, fun walking around Old Town and Old Town Mex has great food. Kids are welcome there.

I second the vote for Old Town Mex Cafe. It's pretty popular and there is usually a line outside. Go at an "off" time (like between lunch and dinner) to lessen the wait. If you just want a fast delicious fish taco, try Rubios. It's a chain, but was started in San Diego. Order the fish taco especial. It comes with cheese and a delicious white sauce and you can get it on either a corn or flour tortilla. (think I go there often?) There should be one pretty close to where you are staying in Kearny Mesa area.

Hi,

If you take the I-805 South and exit Olympic Parkway, drive about 7-8 miles east and you will find the Olympic Training Center. This is where they train our athletes for the Summer Olympics. They give free tours and have a nice gift shop. Free is a good price for this tour.

If you take the I-805 South and exit Olympic Parkway, drive about 7-8 miles east and you will find the Olympic Training Center. This is where they train our athletes for the Summer Olympics. They give free tours and have a nice gift shop. Free is a good price for this tour.

Quite a ways from both Kearney Mesa and the pier...nearly to the Mexican border. Nice to visit if you are in the area of Chula Vista, but the traffic during rush hour can be terrible. I would avoid that area unless you plan to be in there anyway.

Check for Rubio's locations here: http://rubios.know-where.com/rubios/ There is one in Kearney Mesa on Clairemont Mesa Blvd and Ruffner that I go to all the time. Easy to get to from either the 52 or 805. Tuesday evenings there is a special on fish tacos...only $1.25 each. They have a children's menu too.

Another fun place to eat with kids is the Corvette Diner, recently relocated to the old officer's club at the old Naval Training Center (now Liberty Station) not far from the airport.

I love the carnitas at the OTMC!! When I lived in Chicago for a year in grad school I used to dream about them. Be prepared to wait for a while if dining there though as they don't take reservations and a line is common. The Casa Guadalajara is good too, but not as good as the OTMC. Cafe Coyote is also good, and has a huge collection of tequilas.

OTMC is a better bet for a sit down dinner type atmoshere and cocktails. El Indio, though it does have a few tables, is a quick pick up and go type place. Better suited for lunch. Old Town really is a fun place to walk around.

Agreed, the outdoor picnic tables are especially nice when the weather is good.

OP: Just about every San Diegan will have their favorite Mexican food joint. This is my favorite: http://www.tonysjacal.com/1.html. We also have many fast food taco shops all with the "bertos" ending the name. I believe that "Robertos" is the standard bearer in this category. Rubios is a bit more upscale and polished.

Along with the poster above, hit just about any taco shop in town. They're all over. Try the Carne Asada Fries. Yum - O!

Also, they're a chain, but we like Fuddruckers. They are super kid friendly with video games, but the best burgers and reasonable.

http://www.fuddruckers.com/locations.php

I also second the Corvette Diner. Lot's of fun.

Also if you're looking for a unique So Cal burger experience try Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Really good burger, casual, in beach atmosphere. In some places they're rated best burgers west of the Mississippi.

http://www.hodadies.com/

Also if you're looking for a unique So Cal burger experience try Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Really good burger, casual, in beach atmosphere. In some places they're rated best burgers west of the Mississippi.

http://www.hodadies.com/

Hodad's is fun and the trip to Ocean Beach (OB) takes you to an area less traveled by tourists to some extent. Less gentrification in OB as compared with some of the other beach areas which makes for a great visit. Just don't go at a peak time unless you are willing to wait.

Archived