vietnam visa and guide information

blue purple

We are on the 1/9/2010 Azamara cruise out of Hong Kong. The ship docks in Danang, where we will need a visa, then in Saigon, we are planning to leave the ship and fly out of Saigon to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Do we need to obtain a multi-day visa from the consulate or a single entry visa for our flight out and use the ships visa for our excursion in Danang? (Which way would be more economical?) Also, does anyone have suggestions on a tour guide to take us to Hoi An, rather than do the ship excursion?

We are on the 1/9/2010 Azamara cruise out of Hong Kong. The ship docks in Danang, where we will need a visa, then in Saigon, we are planning to leave the ship and fly out of Saigon to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Do we need to obtain a multi-day visa from the consulate or a single entry visa for our flight out and use the ships visa for our excursion in Danang? (Which way would be more economical?) Also, does anyone have suggestions on a tour guide to take us to Hoi An, rather than do the ship excursion?

Don't know the answer to the Visa question but hopefully your travel agent or the cruise line can tell you.

Regarding the tour guide for Hoi An there are lots of recommendations on cruise critic sites. Try looking at the Volendam, Holland America cruises to Asia (there are a few dates listed) and also on the Asia cruises (this thread) there are tour guides listed. Good luck. I had problems at first (and still do) finding my way around the cruise critic sites but there's lots of good info.

Wendy

I am on the Ocean Princess Dec 2, 2009, I am leaving the ship in Saigon and flying to Hanoi on there sea day and back to Danang and to the ship. I spoke to the Vietnam consulate in D.C.,, they said if you leave the intended port area, ie. Vung Tau for Saigon, you need a regular visa from them for $65.00 PP, instead of the ship issured visa, especially that you are flying out of the country and back again. Go to the Vietnam consulte site for more info

For a guide contact: thi_travel@yahoo.com Thi Hoang from www.smiletoursvietnam.com

I know for sure that you will need a multi-day visa as we required one when we had more than one stop in Vietnam as you will. Have your TA determine whether you obtain this visa or whether your cruise line will. We had to obtain ours while some cruise lines obtain the passengers.

Keth

To save yourself money and a hassle, get a Vietnamese visa from the Consulate for your flight. The multiple entry visa is $130 from the Consulate. The single entry (needed to get on the plane out of Saigon) is $65.00. Check with the cruise line, but most of the cruise line visas are $15-20. So you would save a few dollars by getting your own single entry visa to get on the plane, but use the cruise ship visa for DaNang. You WILL NEED to give the ship your passport BEFORE you get to Saigon so it can be officially stamped as entered into the country. Otherwise, you could have BIG problems trying to get out of the country on the plane.

Be prepared for the Vietnamese to go through your luggage when leaving the country. They look for "contraband". As many times as I have entered and left Vietnam, it just seems strange to me that they never look when I enter, but almost ALWAYS check when I leave. And I never have figured out what "contraband" they are looking for-drugs are NOT a big deal in Vietnam as the penalties are VERY severe, up to and including execution.

DO NOT count on using the E-visa for Cambodia. There have been many glitches with the E-Visa. You can get a Cambodian visa at the Siem Reap airport. MAKE SURE you have extra pictures.

Thanks, your post is very helpful. Do you know what the glitches have been with the Cambodia e-visa's? It states on the Consulate's web site that many people have not filled out the paper work correctly and there have been issues. It just seemed like an easy way to get a visa. Also, I read what I believe was your post about tour guides in Vietnam. So, do you recommend a Vietnam tour company to use for Danang? Many people have talked about Smile tours.

We are using Ha from Discover Vietnam for all of our Vietnam private tours. http://www.discovervietnam.com.vn/Eng/index.php

I have read good things about and she has been very good about communicating with me. They just had a very devastating hurricane go through Danang, where she lives. She emailed her clients before the hurricane to let them know that email will probably not be working for a few days, which I thought was very thoughtful. She personally came through the hurricane with just minor damage, but the area was hit hard.

Thanks, your post is very helpful. Do you know what the glitches have been with the Cambodia e-visa's? It states on the Consulate's web site that many people have not filled out the paper work correctly and there have been issues. It just seemed like an easy way to get a visa..

The e visa system, like much of the Cambodian government system, is a tangle of Communist "rules", corruption and just plain bungling. I was standing in line BEHIND about 20 backpackers who had done e-visa. This was on a boat transport up the Mekong from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh. NONE of their e-visa's had been validated, so back on the boat to Vietnam they went (you can only get visa on arrival at airports). E-visa may or may not work. Don't even take the chance. Visa on arrival at the Siem Reap airport is easy and generally fast. Just don't forget to take passport sized pictures.

Also, I read what I believe was your post about tour guides in Vietnam. So, do you recommend a Vietnam tour company to use for Danang? Many people have talked about Smile tours.

I generally don't book tours. So I am not much help, but you do have to be careful who you are booking with. I use drivers/translators with cars because I am there on business. If I want to see something, I have them take me.

There is a post in this forum about Beijing Xinhua (sp) tours. IF you read the T & C's, you will see just what I posted about Asian "tour operators". Website looks fancy, BUT they book you on a "seat in coach" tour run by another company. UNLESS you want a PRIVATE tour, the company is merely acting as a booking agency.

And further in the T & C's, it "suggests" you have your own insurance, as their insurance does not cover unless they are "negligent". First, it would be hard to even go to court in China if you were seriously injured on a tour. Second, there is NO WAY you can prove negligence if the "fancy website" company is only acting as a booking agency. Just be careful who you do business with.

Our Vietnam tour guide wants our passport number, and other relevant information in order to secure a port permit to pick us up from our cruise ship. Is this request reasonable and legitimate? Several members of our group have a problem with sharing such information and have concerns about how it might be used.

Appreciate hearing of your experience in arranging tours in Vietnam with tour operators other than the ship's tours.

Our Vietnam tour guide wants our passport number, and other relevant information in order to secure a port permit to pick us up from our cruise ship. Is this request reasonable and legitimate? Several members of our group have a problem with sharing such information and have concerns about how it might be used.

Appreciate hearing of your experience in arranging tours in Vietnam with tour operators other than the ship's tours.

It is normal practice in a lot of Communist countries to be asked for your passport info for tours, hotels and even just booking a car/transport. The government wants to keep track of everyone and everything. It is the COMMUNIST way.

In Saigon, in certain hotels frequented by foreigners, the information is not only used by the hotel, but it is turned over to the local police and also sometimes to the secret police.

I was rudely awoken one night at the Riverside hotel about 1AM in 2006. The hotel desk clerk had NOT kept a copy of my passport in the hotel. She had turned the copy she made of my passport over to the local police. The secret police were checking on guests in the hotel and she couldn't produce a copy to match their copy. So down to the front desk I went, passport in hand, simply to have her make a copy. I never saw her again that trip, so I figured she got in big trouble. It is simply the Communist/Vietnamese/Cambodian way.

I have read on other threads that the tour operators have to have the names and passport numbers etc. in order to get in the port area to pick up passengers on their tours. You may check on the Volendam threads for October or November cruises because I think I read it there. It seems legit.

We are a group of 5 and as I was the one who booked our van/driver I was the only one who had to supply passport details. As long as the driver can get into the port, I'm happy!

Smile Tours is not requesting passport information, is licensed to go into the port according to them and is cash that day. Someone on these boards is using them in December on multiple ports and will report back their experience.

• 2 months later...
We just booked with Smile and yes, they did require passport info.

Also, I just called the Viet Nam consulate in San Francisco....the current fee for a 30 day Visa is $85.

PLEASE check whether a single entry, 30 day visa is going to be good for your cruise. If you have multiple ports in Vietnam, you MAY be required to purchase a multiple entry visa (which is about double the price). All depends on who is interpreting the RULES on any given day.

We just booked with Smile and yes, they did require passport info.

Also, I just called the Viet Nam consulate in San Francisco....the current fee for a 30 day Visa is $85.

You are correct. It was not mentioned when we initially booked, but we did end up giving passport info months later.

i don't know where you are from, or your itinerary, but here is my experience with needing a vietnam visa:

1. i am a US citizen

2. i was on a Costa ship

3. cruise visited (but did not start or end) 3 ports in vietnam

i did not have to get a visa ahead of time. it was purchased on the ship for $6 US.

i don't know where you are from, or your itinerary, but here is my experience with needing a vietnam visa:

1. i am a US citizen

2. i was on a Costa ship

3. cruise visited (but did not start or end) 3 ports in vietnam

i did not have to get a visa ahead of time. it was purchased on the ship for $6 US.

Read the OP. Ships Visa's not normally good for flying in/out of airport. $6.00? What year?

Jade, thanks for the heads up. The lady I spoke to on the telephone said that the 30 day visa was fine for a cruise....so hopefully it will be someone of the same mindset there who processes our visa applications.

CtheWOrld, we are from California. We were told by our very reputable, experienced travel agent that we must obtain both the Vietnam and China visas before we board our Oceania cruise in Bangkok. We surely don't want to fly half way round the world for the cruise of a lifetime to be denied boarding because our documents weren't in order.

OK in terms of visas.

Each cruise line handled the Vietanam Visas differently. On some cruise lines they get them on the ship. And on some cruise lines they don't. So, always check with your cruise line. And for those cruise lines that are unable to secure them on the ship if you are visiting more than one port in Vietnam as Greatam said, you do require a multi entry visa. Our most experience with all of this was on the Crystal Serenity in 2008. There was a time when Crystal was able to get this visa on the ship but no longer.

In terms of China, other than Hong Kong, if you have other stops in China you will need a visa for China.

Now the information I am providing is for USA citizens. Others from other countries need to do further research.

Keith

Jade, thanks for the heads up. The lady I spoke to on the telephone said that the 30 day visa was fine for a cruise....so hopefully it will be someone of the same mindset there who processes our visa applications.

As posted previously and verified by Keith1010, IF you have more than one port in Vietnam, you will need a MULTI ENTRY visa. The single entry, 30 day, $65.00 visa will NOT be satisfactory for a multiple entry/port cruise UNLESS your cruise line has made other arrangements with the Vietnamese government.

Archived