Greece Port by Rental Car

travel1955

My family of 7 will be cruising on the Grand Princess leaving Venice on 11/6. We have my elderly parents and are thinking of renting a car in Corfu, Olympia, Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes and Santorini.

Has anyone done this and tell me if this is a good idea. Appreciate your thoughts.:D

We have rented cars in several of those places (no need to rent a car on Mykonos) but you are going to have a major problem. It is very difficult (if not impossible) to rent a van large enough to hold 7 people. That being said, driving in Greece is pretty easy if you have a decent map or GPS.

Hank

There were four of us on our trip to the Eastern Med. We rented cars in Olympia and Santorini. It was a great way to do what we wanted on our own. Given the high price of excursions, even if you have to rent two cars, it will still be easier and cheaper. That would also allow you to split up into two groups if some of you wanted to stay longer once place or something.

We rented cars in Santorini both last September and in June, and in Katakolon (for Olympia) last September. Great way to travel in both places, and very reasonably priced.

I need an automatic, so if you do, be sure to book in advance.

Next May, we will be renting in Corfu.

Oh, and be sure to get an International Driving Permit from your local AAA office for $15. It's good for a year from your first foreign rental, and, in Greece, if you have any encounter with the police, and cannot produce one, you definitely are looking at three-figure fines. (No rental company has ever asked to see mine, but for $15, it's very good insurance in Greece.)

Enjoy!

Pam

• 4 months later...

Archived