would you choose Virgin Airways or American Airlines?

Oshkosh

Just to jump ahead of those who will compare Virgin Atlantic against American Airlines...this is Virgin America; the US domestic only sort-of-subsidiary-thing.

From those who have tried Virgin America I have only heard good things.

I LOVE did I say Love yes LOVE VirginAmerica. absolutey no comparision with AA or any other line I can think of. BUT be advised they do not take any cash on board. you can order from your screen at your seat, but you must swipe a credit/debit card to do so, you also order free stuff, soda juice etc. from your seat. Oh and the Chocolate chip cookies are very good.

We got stuck in Atlantic City on a nonstop LAX-JFK run on Virgin America. The crew was awesome with the situation, free drinks, food and movies for all.

The seatback video screen experience was much better than the American Airlines flight a few weeks later.

All things equal try Virgin AMerica.

I ride VX (Virgin America's code) up and down the west coast pretty frequently, especially after I've requalified for AA elite status (flights on Alaska Airlines, VX's main west coast competitor, count for AA status) when I no longer need the miles.

Their coach product is similar to jetBlue's - seatback TVs etc. Their first class product (which on the west coast is very very well priced vs. Alaska's) is virtually an international business class product - fabulous seats, full video on demand including numerous movies and TV shows, good catering. The food portions are quite small and the choices sometimes a bit weird, but generally you get more than you would on comparably-timed Alaska flights.

Service, cabin lighting, staff... I called the experience "tragically hip" and everyone who's flown VX agrees. The Hand of Branson is everywhere.

They do have a FF plan but as yet not a lot of use beyond their own flights; presumably they'll hook up with Virgin Atlantic and V Australia given time.

AA's strength is its route structure, and the ability to get you where you want to go even if irregular operations (bad weather, broken airplanes etc.) intervene. If VX has to cancel a flight, you're stuck because they don't have the depth to work around the troubles. If AA cancels a flight, there are hundreds more flights on which they can place you, or send you via an alternate airport etc. Economy of scale and all that.

You'd really prefer a pile of nearly-worthless miles to a decent flying experience? :confused:

Nearly-worthless? I am currently holding AAdvantage award tickets for BOS-LAX and AKL-BOS for a trans-Pacific cruise in March, as well as Star Alliance award ticket BOS-LIS to board a transatlantic there next month. :D Hardly worthless!

I have no experience with Virgin America, but will certainly continue to avoid Virgin Atlantic as long as they limit carry-on weight to 6kg. As the old Sophie Tucker song said, "Never let the same dog bite you twice".

Bob

Nearly-worthless? I am currently holding AAdvantage award tickets for BOS-LAX and AKL-BOS for a trans-Pacific cruise in March, as well as Star Alliance award ticket BOS-LIS to board a transatlantic there next month. :D Hardly worthless!
One US domestic round-trip might get you something like 4000 miles. At 2c per mile, that's about $80 worth of miles.

Would you pay $40 extra each way for a better flying experience, or would you rather have $40 worth of miles. I'd say that $40 worth of miles is nearly worthless, compared to the alternative.

You'd really prefer a pile of nearly-worthless miles to a decent flying experience? :confused:

That is a cheap shot on AA. I have cashed in over 2 million miles through the AAdvantage program and have a hard time getting my head around the concept that those miles are "nearly-worthless." Those "nearly-worthless" miles have been used by every member of family over the years to travel both domestically and internationally.

I actually find it interesting that many US travelers are so quick to dismiss US airlines for international travel considering the lost opportunity to collect miles. It is easy to collect +10k miles or half a domestic ticket on a single trip without even considering any elite level bonuses.

BTW - AA does not accept cash on board anymore

I mean no disrespect to the OP by this, but the type of person asking the question the OP asked is unlikely ever to get anywhere near 2 million miles.

For the type of trip that the OP is talking about, the numbers are there in my previous post. But I suppose there must be some people who wouldn't give up $40 worth of miles to get a better flying experience.

As far as international trips are concerned, when you consider (a) how dismal the flying experience is on most US airlines when compared to the alternatives on most trips; and (b) the fact that you can usually still collect frequent flyer miles if you fly on other, better, airlines; the more surprising thing would be to see passengers sticking to US airlines unless there was some stonking price advantage in doing so.

Now, if someone was concerned to fly AA rather than VX because it would make all the difference to keeping higher-tier membership of a frequent flyer scheme, then things would be different. That is what is truly valuable about frequent flyer schemes; not the miles.

I mean no disrespect to the OP by this, but the type of person asking the question the OP asked is unlikely ever to get anywhere near 2 million miles.

For the type of trip that the OP is talking about, the numbers are there in my previous post. But I suppose there must be some people who wouldn't give up $40 worth of miles to get a better flying experience.

As far as international trips are concerned, when you consider (a) how dismal the flying experience is on most US airlines when compared to the alternatives on most trips; and (b) the fact that you can usually still collect frequent flyer miles if you fly on other, better, airlines; the more surprising thing would be to see passengers sticking to US airlines unless there was some stonking price advantage in doing so.

Now, if someone was concerned to fly AA rather than VX because it would make all the difference to keeping higher-tier membership of a frequent flyer scheme, then things would be different. That is what is truly valuable about frequent flyer schemes; not the miles.

It wasn't the OP but AA that was the recipient of your disdain. You don't need to get anywhere near a million miles+ to start seeing the benefits of FF programs. The OP states they have flown on AA many times. If they have been consistent it is likely that they have received one or more award tickets - especially if coupled with a credit card.

I actually value the miles differently than the raw $40.00 you suggest. The FF benefits are for the most part tax free. Assuming a 50% (and heading higher) marginal tax rate in the US when all taxes are considered, one needs to earn $80 ($160 RT) of income to get the same value of travel. When you add the bonus for elite membership that can push it to upwards of $160 ($320 RT).

I agree with you regarding the use of partner airlines when it works out and the miles accrued are treated the same as on your "home airline." For AA this works on transpacific flights but not transatlantic flights. One just needs to read the rules and make the comparison. For example, I looked on UA's site and their are some limitations in terms of how miles earned on other Star alliance carriers are applied.

It wasn't the OP but AA that was the recipient of your disdain.
On the contrary. I would have made the same comment about the relative worth of the options if it had been any of AA's peers, because exactly the same is true of them. It happens to be AA on this occasion, because the OP happens to have said that AA is the alternative to VX.
I actually value the miles differently than the raw $40.00 you suggest. The FF benefits are for the most part tax free. Assuming a 50% (and heading higher) marginal tax rate in the US when all taxes are considered, one needs to earn $80 ($160 RT) of income to get the same value of travel. When you add the bonus for elite membership that can push it to upwards of $160 ($320 RT).
The FF benefits may be tax free, but normally (ie leisure travellers) you've paid for them out of income that's already been taxed at the same rate. So the raw numbers are a valid guide to their worth.

I agree that if you're a higher-tier frequent flyer and you earn more miles because of the bonus, then the miles that you earn on a flight are worth correspondingly more. But the earnings on most US domestic flight are still relatively small. Even the long trans-continentals are only about 2,500 flight miles. It's not like the OP is flying from London to Sydney and earning a 100% tier bonus and therefore standing to reap 40,000 miles from a single round trip. 40,000 miles in most schemes is still worth only a relatively modest amount - although by the time you've got to that many miles, some schemes have unusually good value awards. The real value of frequent flyer miles is often reduced by the difficulty in using them, which is why so many real frequent flyers carry around humungous balances of unused and unusable miles.

But, as I said, everyone can work out for themselves what they think miles are worth, and how much they're prepared to give up for a better flying experience on another airline.

But, as I said, everyone can work out for themselves what they think miles are worth, and how much they're prepared to give up for a better flying experience on another airline.

ABSOLUTELY correct. It's all part of the buying process. For some, the miles (and the attendant benefits of status) are definitely worth it. For others, it's the other way around.

When you really think about it, all of life is a continuing series of cost/benefit analysis.

Hey, isn't it great having real choices and being able to reward the businesses that give you what you want, whatever that may be.

...The FF benefits may be tax free, but normally (ie leisure travellers) you've paid for them out of income that's already been taxed at the same rate. So the raw numbers are a valid guide to their worth.

You are valuing the current ticket already paid with after tax income - I am referring to the value of the future ticket that hasn't yet been purchased.

...40,000 miles in most schemes is still worth only a relatively modest amount - although by the time you've got to that many miles, some schemes have unusually good value awards.

On AA, a plan ahead award is good for travel in the continental US is 25k. Toss in a credit card and it doesn't take too much to get 1 or 2 tickets per year.

...The real value of frequent flyer miles is often reduced by the difficulty in using them, ...

I wish I had this problem! Of course I spread my miles over 4 family members who all like to travel.

...But, as I said, everyone can work out for themselves what they think miles are worth, and how much they're prepared to give up for a better flying experience on another airline.

Totally agreed!

When you really think about it, all of life is a continuing series of cost/benefit analysis...

When I say stuff like that at home my wife gets mad at me! :)

I have a choice between the two and have flown American many times. never flown Virgin Airways. I would be in economy and it is a US City to US City flight... any thoughts? thanks:D

Virgin Airways they have incredible service especially in comparison to AA.

Archived