Internet Access - My own Computer or Ship Provided Computer

IVaSong

We will be sailing on the Ms Amsterdam in December for the 21 day cruise thru the Panama Canal and trying to get information on whether or not to bring our Laptop, If it will cost the same to use my personal laptop to access the Internet while on the ship I would just as well use the computers that are provided by HAL. If I must pay is the cost the same whether it is my own computer or the ones provided by HAL in there computer area.

Any information would be appreciated as I cannot find it on the HAL site.

Same cost whether you use your computer or theirs. I took my own, and wrote notes about the day and loaded each day's photos into separate folders. I have a netbook, so it's only a 2 pound extra weight. It helped pass the time during long layovers in the airports too.

Whether you take your own laptop or use the ship's computers -- the price is the same.

There is a one time activation fee of $3.95.

Plan 1 -- $0.75 per minute

Plan 2 -- 100 minutes for $55

Plan 3 -- 250 minutes for $100

On embarkation there may be some free minutes offered -- Plan 2 -- 10 minutes ----Plan 3 -- 20 minutes.

Check with the internet manager.

If you have a mail handler such as Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail installed you can do "batch mode" email: connect, download all incoming, disconnect, read/write off-line, reconnect and "send all". It saves a BUNCH of money, since the ship satellite link is soooooooo slow!

Also, with your laptop you have all of your favorites/bookmarks and your address book handy. Cuts the on-line typing time down - especially if you're a bad typist like me!

Also, another reason I bring my laptop is to do nightly back-ups of my pics, just in case of camera trouble.

Absolutely take your own laptop. While the minutes cost the same you will spend a lot more time (and therefore money) by using their computers. The reason for this is that as soon as you log-on to their system the clock starts on your purchased minutes. When you use your own you write your e-mails off line then just log on send and log off taking seconds instead of minutes. Done correctly you will use 75% fewer minutes to accomplish the same result. As mentioned before there is a good chance you will have wireless reception in your cabin, I did (lower promenade mid ship Volendam). The secret to using your own computer is making sure you only log-on when you want to send or receive something and, most importantly, you remember to LOG-OFF when you are done. If you forget to log-off the clock keeps ticking even if you turn off you computer!:eek:

As mentioned before there is a good chance you will have wireless reception in your cabin,
If the signal is too weak, propping the cabin door open about an inch and sitting in a chair just behind the door often makes it usable. :)

The closer you are to one of these hallway antennas the stronger your signal will be.

attachment.php?attachmentid=106854&d=1235329145

I agree totally with Greg. You will save much money by composing on your own laptop and not on their clock. depending on the speed of their WiFi, I was able to logon, downlod email, and upload outgoing previously prepared email n 3 to 4 minutes.

Dan

For a longer cruise -- maybe even a 21 dayer -- they might offer different packages.

For the World Cruise, and Grand Cruises there are larger packages, yes. But I've never seen any packages larger than the 250-minute one on the standard long cruises (as long as 35 days).

Have you signed up on the Roll Call for that cruise? Please do. We'll be sailing with you! There is a Meet and Greet coming together. It'll be posted on the Roll Call. See you then:)

Where do we and how do we sign up on the Roll Call for the Cruise :confused:

Thanks

M&N or Mike & Nancy

Where do we and how do we sign up on the Roll Call for the Cruise :confused:

Thanks

M&N or Mike & Nancy

On the main page you will see a box of Roll Call links, similar to the box of Cruise Line links, just a little lower down. Click on Holland America; then click on Amsterdam; then scroll down a bit to 2 Dec Panama Canal.....

Then you can reply to the last posting.

One must be Logged On to enter the Roll Call links, as you need to be Logged On to post a thread or reply to a thread.

Hope this works for you. See you on board!

If you take your own laptop do you need some papers to show it was purchased in the US and not acquired in a foreign port while on the cruise. ?

We never have, but i"m curious what others do....

Nobody has ever looked at our stuff when we returned. We have brought original receipts a couple of time for brand new cameras but have never had a brand new computer on board.

If you take your own laptop do you need some papers to show it was purchased in the US and not acquired in a foreign port while on the cruise. ?
My bill on sale has stayed in the folder that we use to carry important papers for about 5 years now, and I have never been asked for it, nor has anyone asked to look at the computer - which is obviously old now.

However, I did read on this forum about a man who was forced to pay duty on a Rolex watch that he had owned before his trip because he couldn't convince the customs agent of that, so if your computer still looks new it wouldn't hurt to bring along some proof that you owned it pre-cruise.

If you have no proof, you can register anything with a serial number that you're taking out of the country and bringing back.

See: http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

My husband has been taking his laptop since we bought one when they first came out. We've never been questioned but I guess there's always the first time. However, I wouldn't worry about. There are tons of things that could happen but more than likely won't. Happy Sailing!

If you have no proof, you can register anything with a serial number that you're taking out of the country and bringing back.

See: http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

By any chance do you know what information they are looking for on this form for NUMBER, PORT & DATE :confused:. I cannot for the life of me find any information on what NUMBER they need, also, is the PORT & DATE the originating port where the cruise originated from or the current port you are visiting :confused:.

Seems the only option is to write to the address on the form in Washington DC for clarification or ?.

Thanks

By any chance do you know what information they are looking for on this form for NUMBER, PORT & DATE :confused:. I cannot for the life of me find any information on what NUMBER they need, also, is the PORT & DATE the originating port where the cruise originated from or the current port you are visiting :confused:.

Seems the only option is to write to the address on the form in Washington DC for clarification or ?.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know either. The last time I registered anything I was taking out of the country was in 1972, for a couple of cameras. :p My guess is that the PORT & DATE are the cruise embarkation port and date, and that the NUMBER is something that the certifying CBP officer adds.

I suggest that you don't even bother with the form for a laptop. In the highly unlikely event that a CBP officer challenges you on whether it is a new purchase, you can just boot it up and show him some photos or files with dates prior to the cruise. :cool:

Archived