BA Baggage Allowances

CuriousCruiser66

OMG !! What on earth do British airways think they are doing ?? ....... We are booked onto the 08th Feb 2010 Ruby Princess to the southern carribean to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and really cannot wait, we're both soooo excited :D

UNFORTUNATELY Panic time is here as we have just recieved our flight confirmations and are booked onto a BA flight from Heathrow to Miami........... baggage allowance of 1 bag ber person up to 23 Kilos :eek::eek: HELLLPPPPPPP !!!!!

As of 07th October 2009 they have altered their baggage allowances from 2 bags per person to just 1 ( this is for checked baggage)

You mays still take a second bag but they are now charging £40 each way for this EXTORTIONATE !!

Ok if this was a land based resort holiday then maybe its possible but for a 10 day cruise with formal wear required for 2 formal nights this is just rediculous.

Please help as I need MAJOR advice on how to pack everything we need for this cruise into just 1 x 23 kilo bag each.

All replies will be read eagerly as I really am panicking :(

Thanks

Well that really sucks. How come they reduced the weight. I thought BA was supposed to be a better type of airline like Qantas.

We are going to US for a month in Feb. I would die if I could only take 1 bag at 23 kg. We can take 2 at 32kg. We will be going this time with V Australia.

All I can suggest is maybe hiring a tux on board - that will save a bit of weight.

Next time try a different airline that gives you reasonable baggage allowance. By the way was the fare cheap? If you add on the extra 40 pound (don't have a pound symbol on keyboard) per bag each way would it have been cheaper to go a different airline?

Virgin have done exactly the same! Fortunately, we are travelling with our boys, so we get 4 x 23kilos, and most of my stuff is at our place in Orlando, but I really feel for you, and would be struggling in your position!

You could maybe take a shopping trip the day before the cruise and take an extra bag, and pay the excess on the way home.... at least its a good excuse to go shopping?? ;)

Thanks for your reply ...........

Flights were booked by Princess but they won't help as they say its down to the airline :(

Unfortunately we booked this cruise last Feb and as up untill yesterday we thought it was 2 bags of 23 kilos we already went out and bought DH's Tux otherwise we would definitely not have had this weight to take as we would have rented as you suggested, which is exactly what I told our TA when I rang up yesterday ......... she was Very helpful and did argue the point on our behalf with princess but they wouldnt budge.

Also my Sister and her DH booked at exactly the same time as we did as they are joining us and they got their flight confirmations in Aug .......... They booked through a different TA and they have 2 bags allowance............ when my TA raised this point with princess they said my sis would be getting a revised flight confirmation with the new 1 bag allowance.

Basically I think Princess need to take another look at which trans atlantic airlines they use in future !!

This thread panicked me because looking at the BA site it says that the new rules only apply to bookings made after 7th October 2009 so unless Princess haven't actually booked your flights yet I would have thought the higher allowance would apply.

We are flying out of Heathrow a week today to join Sea Princess for 14 days but returning from Jamaica with Thomas Cook Airlines to Gatwick :eek:. Having just checked with my TA we are getting the old higher allowance on the way out but only 23 kgs per person on the return charter even though we have upgraded that flight to premium. Apparently the relevant date is the date the flights are finalized and ticketed which was September for us.

I would definitely recommend hiring your tux from the link on the Princess site which will free up some weight and pack clothes for half the length of your trip. There is almost always a deal during the cruise for laundry and of course you can always diy.

Many US-based airlines have started charging for a second bag on overseas flights as well, so I don't really think you can blame Princess. And we have about the same weight allowance (50 lbs).

I have not checked more than one bag in years for a cruise; it CAN be done. We took a 12-day Med cruise in November (so heavier clothes) plus 3 days in Rome after and only checked one suitcase each with one carry-on.

I suggest you get back in touch with your T/A and Princess immediately as BA's new baggage policy clearly states, "The changes to our baggage policy will apply to bookings made and travelled from 7 October 2009"

That suggests to me that with your booking having been made prior to October 7th that you should receive the old allowance as is the case with your sister/brother in law.

Having said that, there's no point in having a go at BA (even though it's one of this country's favourite passtimes) as Virgin have done exactly the same and the vast majority of other international airlines will follow suit.

All airlines have bled badly over the past couple of years and they have to re-coup somehow.

We too are booked with BA to Miami in November for the Ruby Southern Caribbean cruise and our booking was made in January this year..... when this issue came up about a month or so ago i contacted BA who have assured me that the previous baggage allowance ..ie 2 x 23 kgs bags still applies to our booking!

As your booking was made in Feb then the previous baggage allowance should still apply to you also .... have you logged onto the BA website with your BA reference number to fill in your details? which you need to do if you are not aware of it ... your TA or Princess can give you this Reference number .... once logged in you will be able to see your baggage allowance by going to the "my booking" section... but to be sure ring BA yourself and confirm it with them that the previous allowance applies to your booking.

Dave.

Also from 7th October BA are going to charge 10GBP per person if people do online checking(24hrs prior) and wish to choose their seats:mad::(

Not quite true. You will be charged £10 per seat per sector if you wish to select your seat in advance. Seat selection is free if you wait until online check-in opens 24 hrs before the flight.

However, although this is another cost, advance seat selection was not something that was previously available to anyone who booked World Traveller or World Traveller Plus so it is true when they say that it's a service enhancement, albeit one that you pay for.

Plan on doing laundry while on board. That saves on the packing for day to day requirements. Princess has passenger laundries on board, and the Purex detergent/fabric softener all in one sheets weigh about nothing, so you could take some along. They also have detergent and fabric softener in vending machines in the laundry rooms.

Take along one dressy pairs of slacks, and several silky tops for formal nights. As someone else has suggested, use the tux rental offered by Princess.

Airline baggage allowances are terrible, some US airlines charge for the first bag, let alone the second one.

We too are booked with BA to Miami in November for the Ruby Southern Caribbean cruise and our booking was made in January this year..... when this issue came up about a month or so ago i contacted BA who have assured me that the previous baggage allowance ..ie 2 x 23 kgs bags still applies to our booking!

As your booking was made in Feb then the previous baggage allowance should still apply to you also .... have you logged onto the BA website with your BA reference number to fill in your details? which you need to do if you are not aware of it ... your TA or Princess can give you this Reference number .... once logged in you will be able to see your baggage allowance by going to the "my booking" section... but to be sure ring BA yourself and confirm it with them that the previous allowance applies to your booking.

Dave.

Thanks for all your great replies ............ I have just confirmed yet again with both BA and TA that ALL passengers flying from 07th Oct will only be allowed the 1 x 23 kg free checked baggage allowance regardless of when tickets were booked :(

but we are allowed one piece of carry on luggage no bigger than 22x18x10 inches inclusive of wheels and handles up to a weight of 23kg AND 1 laptop sized bag or handbag.................. looks like we've just got to lug half of our baggage round the airport with us instead of checking it in.

CC 66 ... did you check your BA details online on their website? you need to do that if you have booked for just your family and are not part of a group! .... check to see if the baggage allowance on there says one or two pieces! ..... if it says two then you have a place to argue from with them. Did you explain that your booking was made under their and what is the current booking conditions which do not change until 7th October.

Dave.

but we are allowed one piece of carry on luggage no bigger than 22x18x10 inches inclusive of wheels and handles up to a weight of 23kg AND 1 laptop sized bag or handbag.................. looks like we've just got to lug half of our baggage round the airport with us instead of checking it in.

They let you have carry on luggage weighing 23kg????? I'd check that if I was you. Usually it is no more than 7kg. Something to do with safety regulations, incase of rough weather and the overhead lockers open and the luggage falls on someones head. I would hate to have 23kg fall on my head.....

You don't want to get to the airport and find out the carryon should only be 7kg :eek:

CC 66 ... did you check your BA details online on their website? you need to do that if you have booked for just your family and are not part of a group! .... check to see if the baggage allowance on there says one or two pieces! ..... if it says two then you have a place to argue from with them. Did you explain that your booking was made under their and what is the current booking conditions which do not change until 7th October.

Dave.

Oh Yes I've done EVERYTHING !! but they're just saying it makes no difference as the new allowances are for ALL passengers who are flying from 07th October ...... Anyone with flight confirmations that state 2 x 23 kg bags will be recieving a revised confirmation letter with the new baggage allowances.........and their website is in the process of being updated so some of the information on there is not correct but they hope to have it completely up to date in the near future !! their words not mine lol

CC 66 .... have just come off the phone with BA, the answer to the question about bookings made prior to 7th October 09 .... and the woman read it to me over the phone ... " passengers with existing bookings made before 7th October but traveling after that date are still allowed 2 x 23kg bags each BA will honour the previous bagged allowance"

Get on to them and give them what for!

Billy and Charlies mum ... yes BA allow 23kgs of hand luggage .... but state that you must be able to lift it into the overhead lockers.

The number i rang is 0844 4930 787 .....

Dave.

They let you have carry on luggage weighing 23kg????? I'd check that if I was you. Usually it is no more than 7kg. Something to do with safety regulations' date=' incase of rough weather and the overhead lockers open and the luggage falls on someones head. I would hate to have 23kg fall on my head.....

You don't want to get to the airport and find out the carryon should only be 7kg :eek:[/quote']

They are sending me written confirmation of the carry on luggage allowances ........... I insisted on that so that I'm not stuck when I get to the airport with more carry on baggage than 7kgs :p

CC 66 .... have just come off the phone with BA, the answer to the question about bookings made prior to 7th October 09 .... and the woman read it to me over the phone ... " passengers with existing bookings made before 7th October but traveling after that date are still allowed 2 x 23kg bags each BA will honour the previous bagged allowance"

Get on to them and give them what for!

I'll second that... I've also just called BA, spoke to a reservations supervisor and was told unequivocally that any bookings made prior to October 7th (even if for travel after October 7th) were entitled to and would receive the old two bag allowance as per the statement on their website.

We are also flying with British Airways in November, booked by Princess. Our booking was made in August, and I did check that we are allowed 2 pieces of checked luggage, as the new rules apply only to flights that are actually booked after 7th October - we have our flight confirmations and they state quite clearly that we are allowed two pieces of luggage. As this is in writing I would be prepared to fight in a court of law! We would have a great problem as our cruise is for a month!

With regard to the seat bookings, that is another story. Yes, you do not have to pay extra if you check in online 24 hours before your flight and choose your seats then. But let's face it - by that time all the decent seats will have been taken by people who have paid extra to choose their seats at the time of booking. I have no wish to be stuck in a middle seat of a row of four, separated from my husband, for an 11 hour flight! So they have got us. I rang BA who told me that although our flight is already booked, in order to choose our seats early (and pay for them) we should log on on 7th October, when this facility starts.

OOOOOKKKKKKKK !!!! *** am taking VERY deep breaths here **

Have now been told by BA that if your booking is part of a group booking made by Princess then that was a special fare block booking and ad such we will only be entitled to 1 Bag of 23kg .................. if you booked independantly before 07th Oct then you will be allowed the 2 bags !!!

AARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! Ok I'm now totally P****d off as we seem to be getting the sh*tty deal here because we allowed Princess to make our booking for us :mad::mad::mad:

Archived