On Mariner 10th October, is this school holiday time in the USA?

Just curious as to whether there will be a large amount of children on this cruise.

I know that it is predominantly a USA/Canada West Coast clientele, but I was wondering whether 11th October is a regular school week or is it a period where traditionally children are off school.

It isn't a problem at all for me, just my curiosity is piqued.

Just curious as to whether there will be a large amount of children on this cruise.

I know that it is predominantly a USA/Canada West Coast clientele, but I was wondering whether 11th October is a regular school week or is it a period where traditionally children are off school.

School should be in session so I wouldn't anticipate large numbers of kids.

However, parents these days don't let a little thing like school get in the way of their vacations. Lots of parents have no problem taking their kids out of school to go on vacation.

We have that week and the following week off in CO. We cruise that time of year all the time. There are always a good amount of kids on board for my kids to hang out with. Not as much as the Summer months. We are actually taking a Bermuda cruise this year on the 11th of Oct. :)

We have that week and the following week off in CO. We cruise that time of year all the time. There are always a good amount of kids on board for my kids to hang out with. Not as much as the Summer months. We are actually taking a Bermuda cruise this year on the 11th of Oct. :)

Just curious, why the 2 weeks off in October? Is is vacation for those students who are on a year-round schedule? Thanks in advance !! :) What happens for the holidays?

Just curious, why the 2 weeks off in October? Is is vacation for those students who are on a year-round schedule? Thanks in advance !! :) What happens for the holidays?

Most Colorado Springs School also are off for 1 or 2 weeks, and they have a traditional school schedule. Its fall break, which i don't understand one bit....but i guess i'm old school!

In Canada, it is a Statuory holiday on Oct 12. It's our Thanksgiving. So everyone will have a long weekend. So who knows, maybe parents will take the kids out of school for 4 days to make it a trip

We have the year round calendar here in TN. Most schools have an eight week summer break, two week spring break, two week Christmas Break, and at least a one week fall break. We actually have from 10/07/-10/18 off. Test scores and overall school performance is very clear that the year round calendar is best. Kids don't forget as much over the summer break. We love it!!! We own our business and are the busiest during the spring and summer. Fall break is always our family vacation time.

In OK we have Fall Break and kids are out sometime during that week. Mine are out the 14-16 so we pull them for the extra 2 days and typically cruise. I think there were about 200 kids (0-18) on the Mariner (out of FL) last year. Much less than a summer/typical break cruise week!

In Arizona we have Fall break this month. Today is my DD last day until October 22nd. Other Az school districts have off Oct. 12 - 16. So you may have a few kids since we are only a 6 hr drive, 1 hr flight to the Mariner.

Here in California, there are a number of districts that are very crowded, they run year round on what are called 'tracks'. As enrollment has dropped, some are dropping the tracks. It is primarily elementary grades. I would expect to see a few kids, but not many. By contrast, we were on Mariner in July, and there were about 650 kids. October is a good time, and exactly why we booked Serenade for that time next year.

The link below is the track schedule for LA Unified - as an example.

http://notebook.lausd.net/pls/ptl/docs/PAGE/CA_LAUSD/LAUSDNET/ABOUT_US/INFORMATION/DISTRICT_CALENDARS/MULTITRACK%202009-2010%20--%201-13-2009.PDF

Dave

I know many Arizona school districts have fall break that week and many of those people go to California for their break. We find it is a nice time of year to travel -- nice weather many places with shoulder-season or off-season pricing.

We will be visiting Mickey this fall break at Disneyland, and I will be booking an Oct 2010 cruise during the WOW sale next week!

There will still probably be far fewer children than a traditional holdiay week or summer.

PHXscuba

Huh. I'm really enlightened by this thread. I had no idea that there were so many different schedules for school vacations throughout the country!:)

Now I'm curious -and not to hijack this thread - but can anyone from these very varied areas tell me if your school is off around my cruise time? It is out of Port Canaveral Jan 3 - 10. I just kind of assumed that since kids around here would have had off for Xmas and New Years and would be just off of a vacation that not many would be cruising. But now I'm wondering if other schools will be out.

It does seem that a lot of college aged people will be on our cruise, which is great because it should make for some good dancing and contemporary music in the lounges, (plus I'm in college, too:D) but assumed the younger ones would be back in school....

Huh. I'm really enlightened by this thread. I had no idea that there were so many different schedules for school vacations throughout the country!:)

Now I'm curious -and not to hijack this thread - but can anyone from these very varied areas tell me if your school is off around my cruise time? It is out of Port Canaveral Jan 3 - 10. I just kind of assumed that since kids around here would have had off for Xmas and New Years and would be just off of a vacation that not many would be cruising. But now I'm wondering if other schools will be out.

It does seem that a lot of college aged people will be on our cruise, which is great because it should make for some good dancing and contemporary music in the lounges, (plus I'm in college, too:D) but assumed the younger ones would be back in school....

For off-peak travel (post Xmas) I usually the website 'cruisesonly' and list all trips of a particular itinerary or ship. And find the cheapest thing going. Using this, we booked the Mariner for February 21st (cheaper times available but a work schedule conflict on the lesser cost ones). Also using this, a few years ago, we had a trip that I booked in late January that had 5 children on board. Everyone onboard was looking after these kids...it was very cute.

By contrast, our Europe trip on Celebrity Millennium in July 2006 was a horror show, as the drinking age is 18, and 1000 kids onboard, many were drunk and obnoxious, and many using parents cards for alcohol. Made the adults only venues un-attendable. Most of the 'kids' stayed onboard during port calls, and we heard fights broke out....etc. And 'chair hogging' during the day. Mariner during the summer was calm by comparison.

Dave

Now I'm curious -and not to hijack this thread - but can anyone from these very varied areas tell me if your school is off around my cruise time? It is out of Port Canaveral Jan 3 - 10.

From what I have been reading the Governors in the southeastern region of the US have declared your week a school holiday week and are asking parents to make reservations of the Freedom. Something to do with stimulus funds:eek:.

I had no idea that some schools had a fall break. My DD just went back to school 3 weeks ago (Sept 10, she is in Kindergarten and they started a week later than everyone else which was Sept 2) I couldn't even imagine already being off for a week or so next week. I went to school in Mass and we never had that and now my DD is in school in Mass and we still don't have a fall break. Although we are taking our DD out of school for 8 school days to go on a 10 night cruise.

From what I have been reading the Governors in the southeastern region of the US have declared your week a school holiday week and are asking parents to make reservations of the Freedom. Something to do with stimulus funds:eek:.

Lol!! You scared the 'bleep' out of me for a minute!! :p

Many of the schools that have a fall break in mid-October started the second week of August, or earlier. My kids started school Aug 10 and will finish their first quarter of school in a week, then have fall break. My nephew is in a modified year-round school (8 week summer vacation) and gets two weeks in October and two weeks in March in exchange.

PHXscuba

Many of the schools that have a fall break in mid-October started the second week of August, or earlier. My kids started school Aug 10 and will finish their first quarter of school in a week, then have fall break.

Exactly - my kids went back on Aug 12 and end of 1st quarter is Oct 9 (next Fri). They are already 1/4 done w/the school year!

Exactly - my kids went back on Aug 12 and end of 1st quarter is Oct 9 (next Fri). They are already 1/4 done w/the school year!

My kids started on Aug 3 and just finished their 9 weeks today, so next week they are off for Fall Break.

The school district also decided to start school 5 mins earlier everyday, so now they get a full week off at Thanksgiving, and then almost 2 weeks off at Christmas/New Years. They will start back on Jan. 4.

HTH :wave:

Archived