Dream cabin selection warning - very important

7continentKaren

Until Dream fixes its phone system, do not select cabins 1220, 1221, or 1222. You will have phone calls for people on the 12th floor when you are on Riviera. Except for the 12th floor, you call a cabin by dialing the cabin number. For the 12th, you have to dial 4 first. That info is buried in a book no one reads. We had a call at midnight on the last night when we needed our sleep for an early arrival. If someone dials 12209 for the 12th floor, they get 1220 as the 9 is dropped. This situation is evidently unique to Dream.

You would think someone would have thought of that obvious problem!

The solution is to change the phone dialing so it waits a moment before connecting the call to give that last digit time to be pressed. I know the phone system I use - Asterisk - handles that in the dialplan very nicely.

Is there anything positive about the Dream? This is your second complaining thread. Why don't you take care of all your complaints in one?

Very valid situations reported by the OP that definitely warrant two different threads. Thanks to the OP, especially for this thread regarding the phones. This looks like something that definitely needs to be addressed somehow very soon.

Until Dream fixes its phone system, do not select cabins 1220, 1221, or 1222. You will have phone calls for people on the 12th floor when you are on Riviera. Except for the 12th floor, you call a cabin by dialing the cabin number. For the 12th, you have to dial 4 first. That info is buried in a book no one reads. We had a call at midnight on the last night when we needed our sleep for an early arrival. If someone dials 12209 for the 12th floor, they get 1220 as the 9 is dropped. This situation is evidently unique to Dream.

Thanks for you post. Would you be giving us a longer more in depth review of the Dream

The Good & Bad so we can all learn from your experiences. Looking forward for any little tidbit

Thankfully, there were only a few (20) total cabins on that Spa deck to create this telephone challenge.

Perhaps because none of those are connecting rooms, family/groups traveling together might be more prone to use the phone for communication between those Spa deck accomodations.

Is there anything positive about the Dream? This is your second complaining thread. Why don't you take care of all your complaints in one?

Maybe they didn't think of it until they got home and received a phone call that was a wrong number.

In any case, thanks to the OP for the heads up.

You would think someone would have thought of that obvious problem!

The solution is to change the phone dialing so it waits a moment before connecting the call to give that last digit time to be pressed. I know the phone system I use - Asterisk - handles that in the dialplan very nicely.

You would think :eek:......

She only mentions one call received, not sure that warrants a warning. You routinely can have people misdial a room number so that really wouldn't be any different. Now if it was quite often that would be different, but she only mentions it occured once in a 12 day sailing.

As for the book, I tend to read through it when we first are checking out the cabin.

It needs to be addressed by passengers reading the info provided to them. That is why they make instruction, owners and operator manuals. Just most people don't read them and then complain when things go wrong.

i seriously doubt the person NOT reading the manual was the one being woke up at midnight, so he had no complaint. most people hop on the ship and worry about how many drinks they can put away in a 24hr. period of time or how many meals they can belt down, reading instructions is not on their radar.

Thanks for any information that you share. This is a public forum afterall.

• 2 years later...

We had several mistaken calls but I mentioned the one because it was so late and so irritating, coming at the end when the occupant should have warned his or her friends by then. No one seemed to take any responsibility for actually reading the manual so no apologies. On the other hand, I think Carnival should have made a point of emphasizing this quirk as it was the first time they had set up such a system and old timers tend to think they do not need to read stuff they deem intended for newbies.

yep its a bummer when you get a room and some one who does not know how to use a phone keeps dialing your room number , as others stated just disconnect the phone..

as far as the dialing plan on the ship, its not a trival matter to reconfig the dialing plan as one might think... they should have caught that in its intial plan...

BTW been on the dream 3 x and simply love it...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very valid situations reported by the OP that definitely warrant two different threads. Thanks to the OP, especially for this thread regarding the phones. This looks like something that definitely needs to be addressed somehow very soon.

I agree!

Archived