Point and shoot camera?

SerendipityLulu

beege1936 gave excellent advice.

We just bought an Olympus Stylus 7010. 12mp, auto or manual (I prefer the manual), image stabilization, and it has an adapter to use an SD card instead of the Olympus proprietary card. The camera has a record mode so you can speak 4 seconds of information about the shot for later scrapbooking. It cost US $199.00.

And it has a pretty quick response time. No delay when you push the shutter (I had a camera that delayed about 1/2 a second), and quick recycle. You may want to buy an extra battery pack so your always ready.

I put a 4GB card in it (more power) and it can store almost 700 highest quality photos. Panoramic mode is very easy to do.

I don't know how rural you are in Australia, but if you can, go into a store and "test drive" a couple. You may find the one you're thinking of buying may not feel right to you.

To begin; I am a very experienced photo hobbiest. In years past I submitted photos and had them published in camera magazines. I even had a photo reach 'honorable mention' in an international photo contest opened to all including pros, sponsored by Pentax. Lugged my SLR Pentax with a handful of lenses, flash, filters, all over the world. They were carried in pouches that I sewed from leather...and fit onto a heavy belt. This was before one could purchase like items in any camera store. When wearing the belt I looked like Batman wearing his 'utility belt'....funny, but saved lugging a gadget bag with the possibility of losing it.

I took the time to spell out this so the person that wants a decent camera for the cruise will understand that I am experienced. The key to her selection is determined by what they will do with the images once on the memory card.

I've given up the 'utility belt' and carry a 'point and shoot' Panasonic Lumix TZ4 (the TZ5 wasn't available at that time). I take many images; several thousand on our last 15 day Princess - Ft. Lauderdale to LA through the Panama Canal. I also carry a laptop with Photoshop Elements 5 and during 'at sea' days you'll find me on my balcony editing the images. (I carry a spare camera as well, just in case)

I will actually print a mere handful to show our visitors the highlights of a trip. I also use the images to make a slide presentation with far more pictures with titles and other information superimposed. Then if they want to see more of our trip, they will see this presentation. On rare occasion I've made photo-collages using printed shots. The largest photo I've had blown up is 12" X 18" (and that was made from a cropped image). At arm's length the printed pictures are sharp and unless I really examine them up close look like true film photos.

To the point of my long winded background discussion: For snapshot photographers....virtually any of the modern digital point and shoot will do a good job. I like the Panasonic Lumix line because they use Leica optics and they are very sharp.

To the casual purchaser, any of the major brands will do your job. You will want certain features:

A zoom (optical) range of 4-6 times....more is nice but not necessary, don't use digital zoom;

Image stabilization, aids in sharper images;

Most memory cards are likely to be SD; 1GB will hold hundreds of images, carry several they are cheap now. Don't buy 4-8-etc. cards. Cards have been known to fail and then you lose what is on it. I change the card at each port. I have had a card fail and didn't lose all, just that day's shots.

Use 'brand name' cards.

A built in flash with manual over-ride capability, you can turn it on and off;

Anything above 6 MP is plenty;

Built in program selections to set to use...and a universal 'PROGRAM' select;

Tiny cameras use tiny batteries, have several, carry when you go out and a charger in the cabin (charge every evening); I have gotten my spares on E Bay...for a few dollars....never had one fail but they aren't supposed to be a good a original...so get several...still cheaper than one brand name one;

Get a case that will carry the camera, spare memory card and spare battery. Prefer one that goes on a belt with strong belt loop. If it ;'velcro closes...sew that end tight! Should somebody try to grab camera...it won't come off. Shoulder straps can get cut, camera.....gone! Also, the case can fall off or put on a table and forgotten.

A long reply, but I hope helpful.

I would disagree with 1 point on this post. While 6 mp may be enough if you do not want to do larger prints or if you do not ever crop your photos. however, if you crop to improve the photo quality and especially if you crop and print large, 6 MP may not be enough.

You do not need and do not want a 15 MP P&S camera as this just leads to increased camera noise. However, the new 10 MP G11 is an intriguing camera.

DON

I just got a new camera 2 weeks ago, spent almost 2 months doing research on them, going to stores and trying them out. I wanted one with a good zoom, great for action. good indoor and outdoor and also good closeup.

I ended up getting the Canon SX 1 IS. It is 1 step up from the G10 very similar.

I love it!!!! It was $520 US with a case and small tripod, and cleaning kit. We got 2 16GB memory cards also so with shipping and the memory cards it came to $620. The website had a special going on. buy 1 memory card get 1 free.

We go to professional football so I want good action.

But I also want to be able to point and shoot, ok maybe zoom in and out a little.

this camera does it for me.

http://WWW.cameralabs.com was a great site for me when I was doing my research.

If you want more info or sample pics. let me know. I LOVE MY NEW CAMERA!!!

I have a Nikon Coolpix that I carry around as my P&S and the quality is great for that type of camera. I have a Canon DSLR that took some of the most amazing pics on my last cruise to Key West and the Bahamas.

Something else you could do is do your research then hit eBay if your budget is tight. That's where I got both my Canon and Fujifilm (P&S but very high end, looks like an SLR) for very great prices and in great condition.

Depending on what you want to spend I would look for one with the best telephoto distance. The first part of the distance is based on the lense. The rest is done with electronics. I try and only use the part that is based on the lense. For example 12x might be with the lense and 20x the total.

At the top of the point and shoot line you can get a lot of adjustment optons. i have them but for the most part do not use them, thus I understand your point.

If you like landscape I would also look for the widest angle lense I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Panasonic Lumix (point and shoot) Has a 12x zoom - I love it! It's a little larger than I would like, but I wanted the 12x zoom. It's got a very nice lens - a Leica. It's wonderful to be able to toss it into my pocket, or on a strap around my neck. I always have my camera with me, while others do not.

Memory cards - Make sure you buy the "faster" cards - I think the designation is usually HC? (High Capacity?) Much less lag time to get the image onto the card, and get you ready to take another photo.

Kathy

Sounds like you're just looking for a versatile travel camera that's easy to use. There's a good number of new superzooms would accommodate this and at the top of my personal list are the Canon SX200IS and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 (or known as the TZ7 in Europe). They both have excellent zoom range, are very easy to use, within your price range and take very good quality photos. You probably don't need to spend more money on a prosumer as you'll not likely need the RAW capability and probably won't be playing with apature values, shutter speeds, ISO's, white balance, exposure compensation, etc. etc. etc.

Take a look at this very good review at dpreview.com

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/

I think it will help you.

Best of luck.

• 1 month later...

My every day camera is a Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd it's a glorified point and shoot. Takes 4 standard AA batteries and SD or SDHC cards. I like it because of the extended zoom but if you really want to zoom out I suggest a tripod. I picked it up for under $150 and have gotten some really nice pictures... even in "Auto" mode.

The only real downside is you cannot just slip it in your pocket. I purchased a carry bag for it and hang it around my shoulder.

• 1 month later...

I have a Kodak digital camera, with four memory cards and the same amount of batteries. When I started cruising, I used a pocket camera, then a 35 mm camera, from there a camcorder, and now a digital camera, I find the digital is easier to carry than a camcorder, it doesn't hang around your neck like the camcorder.

Honestly..you can get a very nice Point and Shoot Canon or Nikon for well under 200 even 150. Don't get too into megapixels either.. You really don't need to shoot any higher than 3 to 5 MP, unless you plan on printing posters. it just eats memory space

I’m using Ultra wide angle lens Samsung TL320. Thanks to its 24mm wide-angle lens, this stylishly retro point-and-shoot can accommodate an extra person or a broader landscape in every snapshot. On sunny days, the camera's organic light-emitting diode display eliminates glare with its bright, crystal-clear screen.

Archived