Point and shoot camera?

SerendipityLulu

I'm going to be a first time cruiser. I adore taking photos ...but I only use a point and shoot ..I'm not inclined to buy something so complicated I can't use it. But I'd like some lovely photos ...

What sort of camera do you (the more experienced cruisers) use?:cool:

Personally I use a Nikon DSLR, approx $1500 depending on the accessories you purchase with it. Eventhough the cost seems high, there is a noticeable difference in the quality. A point and shoot does not allow for the creativity that a DSLR allows. I could go on and on. If you are a quick and easy learner, then I would say go with the DSLR for the best results. Point and shoots will get you decent pictures as well.

Personally I use a Nikon DSLR, approx $1500 depending on the accessories you purchase with it. Eventhough the cost seems high, there is a noticeable difference in the quality. A point and shoot does not allow for the creativity that a DSLR allows. I could go on and on. If you are a quick and easy learner, then I would say go with the DSLR for the best results. Point and shoots will get you decent pictures as well.

She just wants to take good snapshots. I doubt if she is going to become a really professional photographer as you obviously consider yourself.

Why don't you just answer her question?

To the OP - if you give us some idea of your budget, we can come up with useful suggestions.

DON

I just recently bought myself a new camera so I did a bit of research. The answer honestly just depends on what you want to do with it. Nikon and Canon are the top brands that get the best ratings, and I hear Nikon Coolpix is a standard point and shoot that gets pretty good reviews. Above that, again, it depends on what you want to do. The more megapixels you have, the larger, you can make your prints. For me, I ended up buying the Panasonic Lumix FZ28 - it has the simplicity of a point and shoot when set to automatic, with extra settings for playing around to get the picture just right. It also has a great optical zoom on it, which may be more than some need, but I love it as it lets me zoom in close on farther objects and focus on smaller objects (like flowers).

My advice would be to go on Amazon and just research some of the different cameras. I found the reviews on there to be invaluable in helping me choose the right one for me. I know if you research, you will find a great camera that you will love! Good luck and happy photo-shooting!

Thank you .... I guess I would hope not to have to spend that much?

And I'm not sure that I am a quick and easy learner!

She just wants to take good snapshots. I doubt if she is going to become a really professional photographer as you obviously consider yourself.

Why don't you just answer her question?

To the OP - if you give us some idea of your budget, we can come up with useful suggestions.

DON

Well ...just guessing wildly, I was kind of hoping for around $500 but ...I might need to spend more than that ...

I just recently bought myself a new camera so I did a bit of research. The answer honestly just depends on what you want to do with it. Nikon and Canon are the top brands that get the best ratings, and I hear Nikon Coolpix is a standard point and shoot that gets pretty good reviews. Above that, again, it depends on what you want to do. The more megapixels you have, the larger, you can make your prints. For me, I ended up buying the Panasonic Lumix FZ28 - it has the simplicity of a point and shoot when set to automatic, with extra settings for playing around to get the picture just right. It also has a great optical zoom on it, which may be more than some need, but I love it as it lets me zoom in close on farther objects and focus on smaller objects (like flowers).

My advice would be to go on Amazon and just research some of the different cameras. I found the reviews on there to be invaluable in helping me choose the right one for me. I know if you research, you will find a great camera that you will love! Good luck and happy photo-shooting!

Thank you ... zooming IS important ...I'd love to be able to do that well AND I like taking close ups of flowers and babies.

I have the Panasonic TZ5 with 10x zoom, it's well within your budget, even the newer version with 12x is priced right. I don't like carrying a lot of stuff around and this will fit in my pocket although it's a little heavier than some compacts. It has quite a few functions/settings that I am still learning. It also has a setting for taking pictures of babies.Close ups are nice, low light shots are a little tricky; I've been experimenting with a small gorillapod(which is also very compact) and have better luck with low light situations. I went to the store and played with a few different cameras, took them outside and checked the LCD viewer to see if I could get by without an optical viewer. I can but still miss it once in a while. have fun shopping!

I bought a Nikon Coolpix S600 for about $250 and love the pictures. Long battery life also. 4x optical zoom. It has 10 Megapixils. Cost maybe less by now.

I chose this model because it is more wide angle than telephoto. We like wide angle for travel shots. We like panoramic views but with the 4x zoom I can still get good closeups. I also like the Museum setting to take pictures inside when flash is not allowed.

I am also very very impressed with their VR (Vibration reduction) feature which has let me get amazing pictures in low light inside churches, museums, etc.

I have the Canon SX10-IS. It's a point-and-shoot, but it also has options to do LOTS of things with it. I've only used it on Auto mode so far, and I have come up with some wonderful pictures! It has the anti-shake feature, which I love! I paid $379 for it about 3 months ago. I absolutely love it. Oh - and it takes regular AA batteries, which is one feature I really wanted. That way I can just buy batteries anywhere and not have to worry about a specific charger. Good luck with shopping!

Well ...just guessing wildly, I was kind of hoping for around $500 but ...I might need to spend more than that ...

At $500, you have lots of options. That level will buy you what is usually called a prosumer camera that is point and shoot but gives you lots of features that you can grow into.

There are 2 basic decisions that you have to decide that will drive your choice.

The first is camera size. Many of the more costly prosumer models can be a bit large. They will fit in a cargo pants pocket but not a jeans pocket. IMHO, they are easier to use and definitely better cameras than the tiny ones. For example, my wife has a Canon SD1200 which cost about $200 and is cute and takes good pictures but I think is too small. However, she loves it. I have a Canon G9 (the latest model that will be released soon is the G11) which I like.

The second is the zoom range you want. The smaller and cheaper cameras typically have a 3x or 4x zoom range. You can also get superzooms that have as much as a 20x zoom factor but they are much bigger.

Hope that this helps a bit. Come back w some more questions and thoughts and we will try to guide you to a camera that fits your needs.

Just don't listen to the guy that has the $1500 dSLR. I also have one of those cameras and at some point you may grow into one but at this point, you have a find a much cheaper P&S that does exactly what you need to do.

DON

At $500, you have lots of options. That level will buy you what is usually called a prosumer camera that is point and shoot but gives you lots of features that you can grow into.

There are 2 basic decisions that you have to decide that will drive your choice.

The first is camera size. Many of the more costly prosumer models can be a bit large. They will fit in a cargo pants pocket but not a jeans pocket. IMHO, they are easier to use and definitely better cameras than the tiny ones. For example, my wife has a Canon SD1200 which cost about $200 and is cute and takes good pictures but I think is too small. However, she loves it. I have a Canon G9 (the latest model that will be released soon is the G11) which I like.

The second is the zoom range you want. The smaller and cheaper cameras typically have a 3x or 4x zoom range. You can also get superzooms that have as much as a 20x zoom factor but they are much bigger.

Hope that this helps a bit. Come back w some more questions and thoughts and we will try to guide you to a camera that fits your needs.

Just don't listen to the guy that has the $1500 dSLR. I also have one of those cameras and at some point you may grow into one but at this point, you have a find a much cheaper P&S that does exactly what you need to do.

DON

Thanks so much to everyone ...for answering ..I'm really enjoying hearing all the views.

I have to say I'm now leaning towards a good point and shoot like Don has suggested.....

Really want something that will zoom, can take closeups ...and sunset/landscape ....

I think I'm scared of fiddling with lenses .....and would rather go simpler than that.

I also carry a small camera ....but I want something better for cruising.

:eek:

Personally I would not be able to go back to a P&S as my main camera now, but I carry one in my camera backpack as there are times when they are just perfect :)

And speaking of perfect, at $500 for a point & shoot the Canon Powershot-G10 is close to unbeatable, a review below may help you decide if it is right for you, but it is universally admired and has a RR of 500 US..

[url=http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-g10/canon-powershot-g10-review.html][/url]http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-g10/canon-powershot-g10-review.html

I have a pentex optio w20 that I use for cruises. I choose this camera because it can be submerged in water for 30 minutes. So I don't have to worry about water getting into it at the pool or beach. It takes great pics, the battery has taken well over 300 pics without recharging. Besides auto it has quite a lot on it menu, night scene, document, museum, action, anti shake, face recognition ect.

The only thing that I am disappointed in is when I take a pic in the dining room. Could be me ... but they come out dark. The other inside pic's are fine.

It is small and easy to carry, no view finder but an anti glare scene that has worked just fine even in bright sun light you can see the shot no problem.

I am not sure they make this anymore as there are newer models out there. But you might want to consider a waterproof so I thought I would mention it.

Thanks so much to everyone ...for answering ..I'm really enjoying hearing all the views.

I have to say I'm now leaning towards a good point and shoot like Don has suggested.....

Really want something that will zoom, can take closeups ...and sunset/landscape ....

I think I'm scared of fiddling with lenses .....and would rather go simpler than that.

I also carry a small camera ....but I want something better for cruising.

:eek:

Check out this site.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408premiumgroup/

They have a lot of other useful reviews.

DON

Personally I would not be able to go back to a P&S as my main camera now, but I carry one in my camera backpack as there are times when they are just perfect :)

And speaking of perfect, at $500 for a point & shoot the Canon Powershot-G10 is close to unbeatable, a review below may help you decide if it is right for you, but it is universally admired and has a RR of 500 US..

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-g10/canon-powershot-g10-review.html

I have now heard about the Canon Powershot G10 from enough people to be pretty convinced! Looks easy to get in Australia too doesn't it? Perfect.

Thanks to EVERYONE ....xx

I have now heard about the Canon Powershot G10 from enough people to be pretty convinced! Looks easy to get in Australia too doesn't it? Perfect.

Thanks to EVERYONE ....xx

It is pretty easy to get here, the cost is around $700 AUD, unfortunately its not being discounted much, possibly as it is a "hot item", but I'm sure if you shop around people will make a deal :)

I have had the Canon Rebel DSLR for 4 years and love it! It is a bigger camera, but the photos are great and I am not a professional.

For my purse I bought a Canon A570 2 years ago. I liked it so much that I bought one for each of my adult sons and their families. Last Christmas I bought the A590 for my 7 yr. old granddaughter and she won a photo contest with one of her photos.

Looks like you have made your decision, but the cameras I mention are a little less expensive and good too!

To begin; I am a very experienced photo hobbiest. In years past I submitted photos and had them published in camera magazines. I even had a photo reach 'honorable mention' in an international photo contest opened to all including pros, sponsored by Pentax. Lugged my SLR Pentax with a handful of lenses, flash, filters, all over the world. They were carried in pouches that I sewed from leather...and fit onto a heavy belt. This was before one could purchase like items in any camera store. When wearing the belt I looked like Batman wearing his 'utility belt'....funny, but saved lugging a gadget bag with the possibility of losing it.

I took the time to spell out this so the person that wants a decent camera for the cruise will understand that I am experienced. The key to her selection is determined by what they will do with the images once on the memory card.

I've given up the 'utility belt' and carry a 'point and shoot' Panasonic Lumix TZ4 (the TZ5 wasn't available at that time). I take many images; several thousand on our last 15 day Princess - Ft. Lauderdale to LA through the Panama Canal. I also carry a laptop with Photoshop Elements 5 and during 'at sea' days you'll find me on my balcony editing the images. (I carry a spare camera as well, just in case)

I will actually print a mere handful to show our visitors the highlights of a trip. I also use the images to make a slide presentation with far more pictures with titles and other information superimposed. Then if they want to see more of our trip, they will see this presentation. On rare occasion I've made photo-collages using printed shots. The largest photo I've had blown up is 12" X 18" (and that was made from a cropped image). At arm's length the printed pictures are sharp and unless I really examine them up close look like true film photos.

To the point of my long winded background discussion: For snapshot photographers....virtually any of the modern digital point and shoot will do a good job. I like the Panasonic Lumix line because they use Leica optics and they are very sharp.

To the casual purchaser, any of the major brands will do your job. You will want certain features:

A zoom (optical) range of 4-6 times....more is nice but not necessary, don't use digital zoom;

Image stabilization, aids in sharper images;

Most memory cards are likely to be SD; 1GB will hold hundreds of images, carry several they are cheap now. Don't buy 4-8-etc. cards. Cards have been known to fail and then you lose what is on it. I change the card at each port. I have had a card fail and didn't lose all, just that day's shots.

Use 'brand name' cards.

A built in flash with manual over-ride capability, you can turn it on and off;

Anything above 6 MP is plenty;

Built in program selections to set to use...and a universal 'PROGRAM' select;

Tiny cameras use tiny batteries, have several, carry when you go out and a charger in the cabin (charge every evening); I have gotten my spares on E Bay...for a few dollars....never had one fail but they aren't supposed to be a good a original...so get several...still cheaper than one brand name one;

Get a case that will carry the camera, spare memory card and spare battery. Prefer one that goes on a belt with strong belt loop. If it ;'velcro closes...sew that end tight! Should somebody try to grab camera...it won't come off. Shoulder straps can get cut, camera.....gone! Also, the case can fall off or put on a table and forgotten.

A long reply, but I hope helpful.

To begin; I am a very experienced photo hobbiest. In years past I submitted photos and had them published in camera magazines. I even had a photo reach 'honorable mention' in an international photo contest opened to all including pros, sponsored by Pentax. Lugged my SLR Pentax with a handful of lenses, flash, filters, all over the world. They were carried in pouches that I sewed from leather...and fit onto a heavy belt. This was before one could purchase like items in any camera store. When wearing the belt I looked like Batman wearing his 'utility belt'....funny, but saved lugging a gadget bag with the possibility of losing it.

I took the time to spell out this so the person that wants a decent camera for the cruise will understand that I am experienced. The key to her selection is determined by what they will do with the images once on the memory card.

I've given up the 'utility belt' and carry a 'point and shoot' Panasonic Lumix TZ4 (the TZ5 wasn't available at that time). I take many images; several thousand on our last 15 day Princess - Ft. Lauderdale to LA through the Panama Canal. I also carry a laptop with Photoshop Elements 5 and during 'at sea' days you'll find me on my balcony editing the images. (I carry a spare camera as well, just in case)

I will actually print a mere handful to show our visitors the highlights of a trip. I also use the images to make a slide presentation with far more pictures with titles and other information superimposed. Then if they want to see more of our trip, they will see this presentation. On rare occasion I've made photo-collages using printed shots. The largest photo I've had blown up is 12" X 18" (and that was made from a cropped image). At arm's length the printed pictures are sharp and unless I really examine them up close look like true film photos.

To the point of my long winded background discussion: For snapshot photographers....virtually any of the modern digital point and shoot will do a good job. I like the Panasonic Lumix line because they use Leica optics and they are very sharp.

To the casual purchaser, any of the major brands will do your job. You will want certain features:

A zoom (optical) range of 4-6 times....more is nice but not necessary, don't use digital zoom;

Most memory cards are likely to be SD; 1GB will hold hundreds of images, carry several they are cheap now. Don't buy 4-8-etc. cards. Cards have been known to fail and then you lose what is on it. I change the card at each port. I have had a card fail and didn't lose all, just that day's shots.

Use 'brand name' cards.

Tiny cameras use tiny batteries, have several, carry when you go out and a charger in the cabin (charge every evening); I have gotten my spares on E Bay...for a few dollars....never had one fail but they aren't supposed to be a good a original...so get several...still cheaper than one brand name one;

Get a case that will carry the camera, spare memory card and spare battery. Prefer one that goes on a belt with strong belt loop. If it ;'velcro closes...sew that end tight! Should somebody try to grab camera...it won't come off. Shoulder straps can get cut, camera.....gone! Also, the case can fall off or put on a table and forgotten.

Thank you so much for all that lovely detail. It was very kind of you to take the time.

I went to the camera shop today and the man there was also very helpful and moreorless said what you said!

I'm leaning still towards a Cannon but he also had a very nice Olympus ..

both around $Aus700 I would still need the bag/memory cards/batteries etc...

I'm enjoying all the responses and planning my trip.

Thank you again to everyone.

Use 'brand name' cards.

This was a great reply. I was wondering what the price range for that camera is.

This was a great reply. I was wondering what the price range for that camera is.

According to a quick web search, MSRP of the TZ4 is $299.95, with the TZ5 being $50 more. Street pricing varies widely around the web, and I'd be careful since I see refurbs in the market. You may want to verify that it is still in production, since anything that's been on the market long enough for refurbs to be in play is usually at the end of it's product life.....

Archived