Enchantment – Key West disembarkation question

I am training for my first marathon on November 22 and would like to squeeze in a medium run (10 miles) while at Key West. I will be on the Enchantment November 5-9 and would like to get the run in on November 6th before joining my husband and friends for some drinks. We plan to hit Key West at 10:00 a.m. so that gives me plenty of time to run, shower, and go back to Key West. I had initially thought that maybe I would just do laps on the ship but would prefer to get the run in on land. :)

Can someone tell me if we will be able to disembark from the ship at 7:00 a.m.? If so, can you share with me the dock? I would also love to have route suggestions. I want to try to map my route prior to the trip.

Thanks!

According to the below website you will be docking at the B pier which is right next to the Westin, this is near Mallory Square and Duval street.

It shows your arrival time as 7am, if your booking shows the same then you might expect to get off the ship around 7:30ish.

A suggestion would be to start your run onboard the ship and then around 8am head off the ship for the remaining part of your run.

If you google westin hotel key west you can get an idea of the lay of the land.

http://www.keywest.com/cruises.htm

Huh...I think we had to go through customs and we did not get off early because of it....maybe I am wrong. Can anyone else confirm this?

On Majesty a couple of weeks ago only NON US Citizens had to present in Key West. We were able to leave the ship as soon as it received clearance from Immigration.

As for a run, if you get off early enough the traffic and people congestion will be light. To give you an idea of distance, it is 1 mile from the very end of Duval St (near where you dock) to the far end (near the Southern Most Point). I did this run when staying in KW last February. Nice, quite run.

Overall, Key West isn't that big so you may want to consider running up Duval then back and forth down the parallel streets. Should be easy to get the run in without a problem.

Hi- I will be on that cruise , too. I don't run, but my DH has done the KW marathon. He suggests that you run the perimeter of the whole island which is about 10 miles. He says some is sunny , some is shady. All is HOT. Maybe this will help.

Hi- I will be on that cruise , too. I don't run, but my DH has done the KW marathon. He suggests that you run the perimeter of the whole island which is about 10 miles. He says some is sunny , some is shady. All is HOT. Maybe this will help.

How's the traffic on the perimeter? I'd be interested in doing this run when I'm there in February (never thought about running the perimeter).

Here is my suggestion for your run. It will help to higlight this route on a KW map. From the ship:

- Run South on Whitehead St to the Southernmost Point

- Follow the bend left to South St East

- Turn South on Reynalds St to Higgs Beach

- Get on cement walkway at Higgs Beach running East on Atlantic Blvd

- Follow path South on Bertha St to Smathers Beach (nice wide sidewalk)

- Run the cemented pathway all the way around the south and east side of KW to N. Roosevelt

- Keep running straight as N. Roosevelt turns into Truman Ave.

- Turn North on Whitehead and finish back at the ship

Also.....no CBP (Immigration) checks for U.S. citizens anymore.

According to the below website you will be docking at the B pier which is right next to the Westin, this is near Mallory Square and Duval street.

It shows your arrival time as 7am, if your booking shows the same then you might expect to get off the ship around 7:30ish.

A suggestion would be to start your run onboard the ship and then around 8am head off the ship for the remaining part of your run.

If you google westin hotel key west you can get an idea of the lay of the land.

http://www.keywest.com/cruises.htm

Thank you for the pier location. This will help with my planning. As long as we are off the ship by 7:30 I will be able to get the run in and get back in time to meet up with everyone.

It looks as if you have been on several RC cruises. This is my first RC cruise and I am looking forward to trying another cruise line. I cannot believe the price drop on this cruise. For the first time ever, I am starting the cruise with a nice onboard credit. :D

Thank you DH for the suggestions (which I plan to check out on my mappng website) and tell him congrats on completing the KW marathon! I am hoping that if I get off the ship as soon as possible the heat won't be that bad. That reminds me that I should pack some Gatorade. I wonder if there are any rules about that?

Here is my suggestion for your run. It will help to higlight this route on a KW map. From the ship:

- Run South on Whitehead St to the Southernmost Point

- Follow the bend left to South St East

- Turn South on Reynalds St to Higgs Beach

- Get on cement walkway at Higgs Beach running East on Atlantic Blvd

- Follow path South on Bertha St to Smathers Beach (nice wide sidewalk)

- Run the cemented pathway all the way around the south and east side of KW to N. Roosevelt

- Keep running straight as N. Roosevelt turns into Truman Ave.

- Turn North on Whitehead and finish back at the ship

Also.....no CBP (Immigration) checks for U.S. citizens anymore.

Thanks for the route. I am going to map this route in mapmyroute.com and check out the mileage. I really need to hit at least 10 on this run given that the next day is Cozumel and I will probably just do 5-6 on the treadmill in the morning.

Thanks for all of the feedback. This is really helping me put my mind at ease.

First, Enchantment has no customs because it leaves from Miami and gies directly to Key West. The cool thing about Enchanment is that one doesn't ahve to clear customs. The UNCOOL thing about that ship is that you have to back on board at about 1:30PM, not allowing for a nice, leisurely visit in Key West.

Second, I do not advise a true perimeter run of Key West because Roosevelt North is full of traffic in the AM as residents go to work. In fact North Roosevelt is almost always full of traffic. Also, it isn't one of Key West's most scenic drives being as it is mostly a corridor of strip malls and stores, fast food joints, a Home Depot, and motels.

The South Roosevelt run is quite scenic. I'd go as far as the brick museum with Robert the haunted doll (near the airport)and run back as far as Casa Marina hotel and then do the scenic side streets of Old Town. I love the architecture of Old Town, so that is the run I would prefer for myself.

Another nice area to run is Fort Zachary Taylor Sate Park, but they will charge you the pedestrain rate. Still, it is really worth while. That area is one of my favorites in Key West.

Archived