Amsterdam Airport plane change time

old grump

Looking at next year travel to prague thru Amsterdam. My TA has proposed northwest#838, lv Atl 5:25p, arr AMD 820A change to Czech #8731 lv 9:25A arr prague 10:50A.

Two questions: is a hour and five min enough time when coming from non-EU to EU? Do you have to go thru immigration at Amsterdam or at Prague?

Thanks

It will be close, but hopefully you will leave ATL on time and you are seated in the front portion of the aircraft !

Have done the same routing but from Memphis. You will need to be moving at a steady pace and hopefully the lines at immigration in AMS will be moving quickly and that your arrival gate from ATL is close by instead of down there and around there. AMS airport is really nice, large, relatively easy to get around airport.

One question - when is the next flight to Prague?

Enjoy Prague - another great European city to visit and enjoy the food, drink and local history.

Bruton Branch

Looking at next year travel to prague thru Amsterdam. My TA has proposed northwest#838, lv Atl 5:25p, arr AMD 820A change to Czech #8731 lv 9:25A arr prague 10:50A.

Two questions: is a hour and five min enough time when coming from non-EU to EU? Do you have to go thru immigration at Amsterdam or at Prague?

Thanks

I think you'll be just fine, plus for AMS-PRG there's a KLM (w/ a CSA/Czech Airlines code share) at 12:40 and a CSA flight at 14:40, so even if you missed the 1st flight, you'll probably be accommodated on the later flight, especially given you're flying NW (a major KLM partner) into AMS to start with.

Lastly, I sure hope that AMD (Ahmedabad India) is a typo, or that's one strange routing and none of the above would apply.....

On paper it seems just barely OK. Whether or not you still have that amount of time in real life is another story. AMS is a very large airport and you'll have to go through security and passport control. It all depends on whether it's backed up or not. Once we saw an express line for short connections but it wasn't there the next time when we really needed it.

2P.P1

Schipol is a large airport and one of the main European hubs. That means it's very busy.

If you have a 10 min delay in take off and the winds at altitude are less favourable than planned, even by 10 mph you will be hooped and miss your connection, at least your bags will.

My wife and I both do a fair bit of international flying and won't book a connection at any major hub of less than two hours. Even then she was 11 days getting her bags back to Canada on a Brussels-Heathrow-Edmonton flight last spring.

For peace of mind get a longer layover.

At AMS you'd clear immigration and security, then in PRG you'd clear customs.

Thanks, everyone, back to drawing board for the TA. The problem is searching for the discounted business seats for the four of us in our party.

Shouldn't have too many problems although it depends on what your price limit. Are you trying to fly out of DFW or somewhere else. I don't know of many airports in Southern Arkansas!

ex-DFW you've got several one stop options via London (BA all the way or AA/BA), Frankfurt (LH all the way or AA/OK), Madrid (AA/IB), Amsterdam (KLM).

If you factor in two stops you've got gazillions of options.

We don't have air service here:(, drive to LIT, then either ATL or DFW, usually. TA now looking at CDG, which I think may be better.

Just make sure you allow a lot of time for any connections at CDG. That's one airport where you don't want to be short on time.

2P.P1

There is still a "short connections" line at the AMS Schengen passport control. DL/NW tends to arrive at the E pier, and your onward flight would be through B or C pier.

I'd take it. Not an unreasonable connect as long as you don't dawdle and make your way to the departure area.

Remember that you cannot bring duty-free liquids from the USA through a connect at AMS to another destination.

I now have, for better or worse, prob. with sickness and not health, the following: DL #22 ATL-CDG Lv 5:35P, Ar 8:25A, change to Czech Air #8737 Lv 955A Ar Prague 11:40A. Arrive CDG AERO 2, Term E Lv Aero 2, Term D. Have I hope or should I just go ahead and look for the next Czech Air to Prague a couple of hours later?:confused:

Archived