Another open seating question...sorry

sheephugs

When I booked my Thanksgiving cruise, I failed to think about the dining options and TA didn't mention it so we were placed on open. Just checked with TA and there are no fixed times available. We'll wing it the first night but what are the chances of reserving a table for 5 the first morning and asking for that same table and wait staff each morning when I call to reserve? If you make a reservation for 7:00pm are you usually seated at that time or is there still somewhat of a wait? Thanks!!

Based on our experience this summer on the Amsterdam, your best bet is to try to board EARLY. There will be a table set up somewhere (ask as soon as you board) where you can request to change your dining option. If you really want a fixed seating (early/late) you may be able to change.

We could never get a "7-ish" reservation. They always gave us early or late choices for a reservation. We tended to go early, which often got us a table on or near the window as they tended to fill the dining room from the windows in.

. . . are NOT available for reserving in the morning. I found that I could reserve a table for 5:30, but not for the times between 6 and 8.

That said, the reservation meant that the table was ready and waiting! If part of our party was not there at the reserved time, they had 15 min. to get there, or they would not be seated.

All the rules are understandable. HAL needs to keep the service flowing and can't clog the works with late arrivals/no shows, etc.

Ask lots of questions as soon as you board, and keep trying until you find something that works for you.

Thanks for all of the suggestions-especially the 2 night reserve KK! The first time we tried the open seating was on Princess & we finally got the hang of it (reservations)the last night (other times involved the beeper or we just went to Lido). On the Eurodam last year, I don't recall it being an issue. I think we just sat with others or were seated immediately. We're going with inlaws this time. They were on the Eurodam the week after us last year & had lots of problems (waiting, sitting with others-which M-I-L likes but F-I-L doesn't). Thanks again!!

We were a party of 5 on Volendam in May with open seating. We had the grandkids with us, so opted for early dinner reservations. We made our reservations 2 nights at a time and always had lovely window tables. The last 3 or 4 nights we had the same wait staff, though did not request them, it made it very nice. Not too many people in the dining room so early, so we got the very best service.

Each ship seems to have their own rules for the times when you can make reservations.

Most indicate that you can make reservations between 5:15 and 6:15 and 7:30 - 9.

You can make reservations for 2 nights at a time.

I think the rules also change for certain cruises, like Thanksgiving, when the ship is likely to sail with every berth/dining chair occupied.

Archived