who's getting a h1n1 flu shot before their cruise?

bonsat

NOPE!:cool:

I hope I don't come down with H1N1 flu, but I'm sure as HAL not going to submit myself to the vaccine.

I don't DO vaccines since my (now-30yr old) daughter just about died from a required mumps/measles/rubella vaccine as an infant.:eek:

NO, THANKS!:rolleyes:

Our Hospital informed those of us who volunteer & are in direct contact with patients, must have the H1N1 shot or wear a protective surgical-grade mask at all times while in face-to-face contact with patients...They began to vaccinate high-risk staff on Oct. 14.. Employee Health will be getting to us very soon...

My only concern is that DH will be able to get one, when our County Health Department clinics open, which they say could be Thursday....

Betty

Normally, I wouldn't get the regular flu shot. I am extremely careful about my hygiene and really don't think I need it. BUT, with all the people in an enclosed space like a cruise ship who aren't nearly as concerned with their hygiene and the well being of other people nearby, I am considering it. The short of it is, I don't trust anyone. I can't exactly stand out side the bathroom and ask people if they washed their hands...can I?;)

I'm a teacher, but not in any priority group. Even though I am around coughing teenagers all day. I have had at least 15 students that have had the flu in the past month, so I'm sure I have been exposed, at least in part. Actually, since I've been teaching, I'm less sick then ever before, possibly because my immune system is on constant red alert. I live in California, one of the hardest hit areas, but due to lack of supply, no one in this area is receving the vaccine. I don't think that even the people in the high risk categories can get the vaccine at this point. Both of my parents have chronic health conditions and have not yet received shots either.

I have had the regular vaccine, however, and will hopefully get the H1N1 whenever it is available.

I work in a hospital near Seattle and our employee health has not even started vaccinating against seasonal flu. They have a very good reason for doing this, as the flu season runs all through the spring and the sooner you get your flu shot the less effective it is.

Their plan was to be able to administer the seasonal flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine at the same time to all employees. They had hoped to be able to that starting at the beginning of next month.

Hopefully this can still happen, but I've heard production levels weren't what they were supposed to be.

Also to clarify about the inhaled vaccine that went out..... there were 300,000 doses of the live vaccine that were available to super high risk categories... the people who received that vaccine were actually required to stay home for 7 days because even sneezing caused the virus to become airborne.

Hopefully this season's H1N1 doesn't develop into the pandemic people are expecting!

Yesterday was the first day the H1N1 vaccine was offered here in Calgary. I stood in line for four hours - yes you read that correctly - four hours and got the regular flu shot along with the H1N1. My husband, joined me when I was about 20 minutes from the head of the line. He is a high risk person and also received the vaccine for pnuemonia. (BTW, people with small children, the elderly, etc were doing the same thing (calling when they were closer to the head of the line) and I never heard one complaint from anyone in the line-up - at least within ear shot of me.)

My trip of a lifetime starts in ten days and I'm hoping these shots, along with good hygiene, will keep us healthy for the duration of our trip.

H1N1 shots will only be available in Canada mid-November. My GP told me last week that I can only get the "regular" flu shot February 1st as I'm younger than 65. Cough, cough. At least I can say I haven't had a cold or flu for over five years (might be the Vitamin D I take daily). On the other hand, my hands are so dry from all this washing and using alcohol based sanitizers.

H1N1 vaccine was available in Alberta, Canada yesterday, October 26. I waited about 2 hours and got the vaccine. I received the regular seasonal flu shot 2 weeks before. Here, it is available to all, but with the long line-ups, only H1N1 is being given, although initially both flu shots were being done at once when the H1N1 became available. Health care workers, emergency personnel, etc were given the H1N1 vaccine last Friday, October 23.

Apparently our H1N1 flu vacc. clinic was open today, and will be open tomorrow. No public notice, no signs, no NOTHING. Being held in a hotel conference room, not in the hospital or public health facility. What's wrong with this picture???? The only reason I know is because a friend was asked to work as a volunteer at tomorrow's clinic.

Where are you? Very strange that they didn't advertise it. Our clinics opened for the high risk people to be vaccinated this week in London, Ontario. It is on the radio all the time where you can go for these vaccinations. Already the medical system is starting to feel the pressures as more people are coming down with the H1N1. One young healthy 13 yr. old boy who came down with the symptoms on Sat., died on Monday! It has been in the news big time. The family is devastated!! He was a young healthy boy playing hockey when he started feeling sick with a fever. Went to a walkin clinic, went home and then he collapsed at some point, sent to hospital and died. Very scarey.

Where are you? Very strange that they didn't advertise it. Our clinics opened for the high risk people to be vaccinated this week in London, Ontario. It is on the radio all the time where you can go for these vaccinations. Already the medical system is starting to feel the pressures as more people are coming down with the H1N1. One young healthy 13 yr. old boy who came down with the symptoms on Sat., died on Monday! It has been in the news big time. The family is devastated!! He was a young healthy boy playing hockey when he started feeling sick with a fever. Went to a walkin clinic, went home and then he collapsed at some point, sent to hospital and died. Very scarey.

Well, despite not being advertised, when DH found out from me it was open, he decided to go after work for his vacc. The line was so long, the entire building was full. He left without his vacc. It is advertised in the weekly paper today, and there will be more clinics held, so I'm slightly less upset. My poor friend -- she had NO idea how busy she'd be!

I'm with Yonnie on this. We're over 65 so aren't eligible. But we have the regular flu shots every year, and last week, I had the pneumonia shot.

I might still consider the H1N1 if I were eligible...but personally I'm a little skeptical as it hasn't been tested yet.

Harbour no illusions about the testing of regular seasonal flu shots.

Smooth sailing...

No problem in Australia, we have enough for everyone.

So we had ours on Monday.....After we rang the Doc, got an appointment straight away, went down, waited 5 mins..had a quick totally painless jab, and no odd symptoms or anything after... not even a sore spot.

We got the inhaler (no line, 5 minutes in and out), and around 36 hours afterwards our noses were running, we were a little warm, and we were coughing like crazy.

It lasted a few hours in the night, but then we were ok.

When I got the pneumonia shot a few weeks back, my arm felt like the nurse tore a muscle for almost two weeks. It was awful.

No problem in Australia, we have enough for everyone.

So we had ours on Monday.....After we rang the Doc, got an appointment straight away, went down, waited 5 mins..had a quick totally painless jab, and no odd symptoms or anything after... not even a sore spot.

That's good to know. Here in Canada we have enough for everyone also but right now they are only vaccinating the high risk groups first. There is an information session being held tonight and we plan on attending.

I was a little surprised when I called my doctor's office for my travel vaccinations. I didn't speak to the doctor or a nurse, but I was surprised to hear that the staff member was very weary about the prospect of voluntarily taking the H1N1 shot.

There are tons of urban legends around about the h1n1 vacine. All of them false. For example the mercury people talk about is less than you get in a can of tuna. Other vaccinations that have been developed over the years stopped such deseases as polio,small pox, measles and mumps just to name a few.I,m getting mine as soon as it is available which is on 9th of Nov in our area

Very thoughtful observation.

Smooth sailing to you...

World-Citizen - Thank you - and same to you!:)

Drtee - If you have to ask....never mind:p

Bonsat - hummm....if the "kool-aid" is in the lido - I would stay clear - remember Jim Jones....:eek:

Happy Sails All - 25 more days till cast off...woooooohoooo!

DH & I both got our H1N1 flu shot tonight..

Also have the Clorox wipes & the Wet ones packed to help protect against noro..Target has both in small packages in the travel section of the pharmacy..

Now I feel a little safer to board our cruise.. Only a week from today we'll be sailing into the sunset!:D

Betty

I received my H1N1 flu shot Monday( arm quite sore ,more so than other flu shots I've had)

Long lines at centers here in Onario... this initial supply of vacine is for high risk persons only.

Luckily our family doctor provided the vacine for his patients, but strictly held to the high risk policy ( I am in front line health care therefore qualified ,DH and DS however did not)

The news reported yesterday this first supply will soon be exhausted,they don't know when more is coming.The flu season is supposed to peak during the holiday season ,perfect :rolleyes:

If my case load is any indication it is already well underway...huge increase in chest xrays.

Just a reminder the flu shot takes on average 8 to 10 days to become fully effective.

Vigorously, wash ,wash, wash your hands (lots of friction being the key)

Cough onto your sleeve and offer a nice smile:) instead of your hand when greeting.

Wishing you all good health and wonderful cruises.

Well the entire system in Alberta seemed completely POOCHED :( We still don't know when the next vaccination clinic is for the high risk group here in town. I'm appalled at the incompetence of the people in charge of delivering this, both locally and provincially.

The last I heard, as of Saturday, within the province, children and pregnant women will be able to get the vaccine. No one has said though whether the non-adjuvant vaccine will be given to the pregnant women, or if that's yet another instance of ineffective execution, y'know? Pathetic, really.

Archived