who's getting a h1n1 flu shot before their cruise?

bonsat

Either got a shot of Fluzone or Fluzone High Dose this morning. Two out of three chance it was High Dose with 4 times the anitigens. It's a study to see if it's more effective for seniors in preventing influenza. They'll track me until April. It's kind of an odd benefit for working at a major Medical University.

The only down side is I can't get the H1N1 for at least another 30 days.

Which is alright as with the shortage, they are only giving it to patient care personnel at this time.

Am I correct that all flu shots only provide, at best, 70% protection you will not catch flu if exposed? I don't believe any of them guarantee you will be immune after being injected.

Sail, You are right it's not 100%..But it is between 70% & 90% in healthy adults..

According to the CDC WEB site on "effectivnewss of the seasonal flu vaccine"

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

It's effective between 70% & 90% in healthy adults...It also depends on the strain of flu, But vaccination can lessen the complications associated with the flu.. They do go on to say that the vaccine may be somewhat less effective in elderly persons and very young children..

Betty

From the CDC regarding the H1N1 vaccine:

Will this vaccine be made differently than the seasonal influenza vaccine?

No. This vaccine will be made using the same processes and facilities that are used to make the currently licensed seasonal influenza vaccines.

Speaking of getting your shots.. We also got vaccinated for Shingles. Two friends of ours came down with shingles in the past few years and the pain they endured was terrible. Think about it. Discuss it with your doc.

Rich

You are absolutely right. In fact, I think it warrants a thread unto itself.

The CDC website has helpful information on the swine flu, if anyone would like to try there. http//:cdc.gov. Just look at the links and you will be able to find it.

The strange thing about swine flu is that it has been infecting people "off season", not during flu season. Flu season usually peaks in Jan/Feb and it's been circulating now. (In the Northern Hemisphere, don't know about Sourthern). Also, it's been hitting younger people, not the older people usually more suseptible to flu.

Living in the Southern Hemisphere, we peaked with the H1N1 outbreak around May/June/July which was the start of our winter. Since then the numbers have gradually receded and I haven't heard of any cases for quite awhile.

Yes, the H1N1 vaccine is made exactly the same way as the normal flu vaccine so if you are able to tolerate the normal flu vaccination, then you should be able to tolerate the H1N1 vaccination. There is a warning though about being allergic to eggs. Those that have this allergy cannot have the vaccination.

Also if anyone has suffered from anaphylaxis from a previous vaccination or from taking an antibiotic such as neomycin or polymyxin should also be careful having the vaccination.

Jennie

Cruising should have no effect on people getting their flu shots.

You can get the flu anywhere.

Got our flu shots last week, we will get the H1N1 shot as soon as it is available. When we showed up at the flu shot clinic, we were the youngest in the bunch. :)

Right now they are giving the H1N1 nasal spray vaccine to children and caregivers very young children.

We both got our regular flu shots a few weeks ago and our family doc reccomends we take the H1NI as we do tend to travel a bit.....but also have friends in the medical field who are a little hestitant about doing the H1N1.

Since we are not traveling this winter...we don't cruise until April will perhaps pass on the H1N1...dh is over 65 and I am under....

I personally am waiting to see what unfolds in the coming weeks and months.

Neither one of us could get it now if we wanted it....we are not in the category of urgent need.

Most older adults, which applies to almost all HAL pax, are not to be given the swine flu vaccine. We have been exposed to one or more related strains in the past that seem to give at least partial protection. It is my understanding that of the older adults only those with immune suppression or chronic illnesses are to be given swine flu vaccine. Since there will probably not be enough vaccine available to vaccinate everyone, this will make more vaccine available for immunizing younger adults/children who do not have immunity due to prior exposure to related virus/viruses. So, unless one falls into one of these higher risk categories, in my opinion the vaccine shouldn't even be requested.

I'm prob a little younger, but I do believe that, if it affects someone you love, you will have the shot. Hmmm. I think we are all thinking alot here and that's nice but I would sincerely hope people consult with their MD or DO. Don't make these decisions on your own. Those professionals have had years of training to help you. Stay away from online decisions.

love,

Susie:)

I'm prob a little younger, but I do believe that, if it affects someone you love, you will have the shot. Hmmm. I think we are all thinking alot here and that's nice but I would sincerely hope people consult with their MD or DO. Don't make these decisions on your own. Those professionals have had years of training to help you. Stay away from online decisions.

love,

Susie:)

Susie, with the breathing problems your son has had recently, I agree that you should do everything you can to protect him. I think sometimes we forget that there are two reasons to take the shots--to protect ourselves and to protect others by lessening the chances of spreading the flu. Like you, I'll consult with my doctor, but unlike you, I'm in a much less urgent category.

Most older adults, which applies to almost all HAL pax, are not to be given the swine flu vaccine. We have been exposed to one or more related strains in the past that seem to give at least partial protection. It is my understanding that of the older adults only those with immune suppression or chronic illnesses are to be given swine flu vaccine. Since there will probably not be enough vaccine available to vaccinate everyone, this will make more vaccine available for immunizing younger adults/children who do not have immunity due to prior exposure to related virus/viruses. So, unless one falls into one of these higher risk categories, in my opinion the vaccine shouldn't even be requested.

It is our understanding that once all the children, pregnant women, health care workers, younger people & those with underlying health issues are vaccinated, then they will have enough to give it to anyone, including those over 65 who want it..It probably won't be available to those over 65 for a few months though..

Has anyone been told otherwise?

Betty

It is our understanding that once all the children, pregnant women, health care workers, younger people & those with underlying health issues are vaccinated, then they will have enough to give it to anyone, including those over 65 who want it..It probably won't be available to those over 65 for a few months though..

Has anyone been told otherwise?

Betty

A Sep 30th release by the CDC said this, but gave no dates:

Will people age 65 years and older be able to get the 2009 H1N1

vaccine this season?

Yes. The U.S. government has purchased 250 million doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine, so anyone

who wants to get the vaccine will have the opportunity to do so. While people 65 and older are

not included in the groups recommended to get the earliest doses of vaccine, they can get the

2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine as soon as the high risk groups have had the opportunity to be

vaccinated. Some communities and providers will offer the 2009 H1N1 vaccine to people 65

vaccine this season?

Yes. The U.S. government has purchased 250 million doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine, so anyone

who wants to get the vaccine will have the opportunity to do so. While people 65 and older are

not included in the groups recommended to get the earliest doses of vaccine, they can get the

2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine as soon as the high risk groups have had the opportunity to be

vaccinated. Some communities and providers will offer the 2009 H1N1 vaccine to people 65

Thanks..that's what I thought..It probably will not be offered to us before our Nov. 13 cruise, but I'm trying to keep healthy..

In today's paper:

As Flu Vaccine Arrives for the Season, Some Questions and Answers:

(Extract)

Q:

Since the vaccine for H1N1 is new, how do I know it is safe?

A:

Every year, the seasonal flu vaccine is tailored to match the viruses circulating at the time, and the H1N1 vaccine was made exactly the same way.

Q:

Was the H1N1 vaccine subjected to the same testing and clinical trials as seasonal flu vaccine?

A:

The F.D.A. does not require a new round of human clinical trials to study minor changes in the flu vaccine each year. However, clinical trials were conducted on the H1N1 2009 vaccine to determine the adequate dose. In addition, because H1N1 is a pandemic, we now have more information from other countries. Of the first 39,000 Chinese to get shots, only four had side effects, including muscle cramps and headaches. “You could argue that this is better tested than seasonal flu vaccine,” said Dr. Paul A. Offit, chief of infectious diseases for Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

vaccine this season?

I have wondered if flu season will be over by the time most of us can be vaccinated........ or will we already have had the flu by then? :eek:

I think I heard flu is in 39 states presently and it is mostly assumed it is H1N1 as this is very early for seasonal flu to be appearing. At this rate, there's the chance most of us who will get the flu will have been exposed and either resisted or did not.

A friend of my daughter's is currently on life support in a Las Vegas hospital, she went to a Clinic as she was feeling light headed. Within a few hours she was placed on life support, and she is being treated for H1N1. She is in one of the groups considered to be high risk, she is diabetic and only 51 years old.

I have never had a flu shot and was considering not having one this year, but this has certainly caused me to reconsider and I will get the shot ASAP, as I fit into 2 groups that are also high risk.

H1N1 is not a pandemic, not even an epidemic, regardless of what the evening news would have you believe. Could it become one, yes, just like many diseases. If you really want to just worry, look up the statistics of how many people die EVERY year from the flu. Next, take a look at possible side effects of the flu shot, like Guillain Barre!!

Just use common sense and please do get a flu shot if you feel, after research, that it is right for you. The bottom line, however, is simple. On your next cruise, even if everyone on the ship has received a flu shot, I'm willing to bet that less than 2/3rd of the passengers will wash their hands every time after using the restroom and before each meal. That my friend is the NUMBER ONE reason that the germs usually win!!

ER/ Trauma RN

H1N1 is not a pandemic, not even an epidemic, regardless of what the evening news would have you believe. Could it become one, yes, just like many diseases. If you really want to just worry, look up the statistics of how many people die EVERY year from the flu. Next, take a look at possible side effects of the flu shot, like Guillain Barre!!

Just use common sense and please do get a flu shot if you feel, after research, that it is right for you. The bottom line, however, is simple. On your next cruise, even if everyone on the ship has received a flu shot, I'm willing to bet that less than 2/3rd of the passengers will wash their hands every time after using the restroom and before each meal. That my friend is the NUMBER ONE reason that the germs usually win!!

ER/ Trauma RN

The World Health Organization raised the swine flu alert Thursday to its highest level, saying the H1N1 virus has spread to enough countries to be considered a global pandemic.

On Oc. 9, the CDC issued this update:

One paragraph reads: Qupte The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and now exceeds what is normally expected at this time of year. In addition, 19 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 16 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1 and 3 were unsubtyped influenza A and likely to be 2009 H1N1. A total of 76 laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1 pediatric deaths have been reported to CDC since April."

The entire report is here:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

Betty

I'm one of those people who doesn't like to take pills, pills, pills for everything. I haven't even had--or needed--an antibiotic for anything in years, and I've never had a flu shot of any kind. I can't remember having the flu (as opposed to a bad cold), so it has to be over 30 years ago if I have.

I'd be the lucky one who gets the shot and ends up sick--or like that one ER nurse noted, with Guillan Barre (I'm sure I've spelled that wrong). I just hesitate to take anything if I can avoid it. I live in a mostly retired-people area and don't have contact with kids or pregnant people, so I wouldn't get the shot for others around me. Now that I've stated this, watch me get the flu. You can't win.

Diane

Diane,

I know how you feel about getting the shot and I felt the same way.

However its not just kids and pregnant women that are most at risk, its also people with asthma, diabetes, and those that are considered obese. Its pretty rare these days to not know anyone who fits those criteria.....

Actually cruising or not cruising isn't part of our decision on the flu or H1N1 shot. I'm not in one of the risk groups and work mostly from home so my exposure is somewhat limited. I also have a history of not getting the full blown flu and can't remember the last time I had what might be considered flu. My wife has a health situation that's actually the reverse that you might expect as she has an over active immune system and therefore is not a good candidate for the shots. We'll be going on our typical mini-vacation between now and our cruise late next year and we'll just do the best we can to protect ourselves without going the shot route.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like to take pills, pills, pills for everything. I haven't even had--or needed--an antibiotic for anything in years, and I've never had a flu shot of any kind. I can't remember having the flu (as opposed to a bad cold), so it has to be over 30 years ago if I have.

I'd be the lucky one who gets the shot and ends up sick--or like that one ER nurse noted, with Guillan Barre (I'm sure I've spelled that wrong). I just hesitate to take anything if I can avoid it. I live in a mostly retired-people area and don't have contact with kids or pregnant people, so I wouldn't get the shot for others around me. Now that I've stated this, watch me get the flu. You can't win.

Diane

Diane

I am like you, I don't take pills and hate putting anything into my system. I am allergic to any medication that I have ever taken. Long story, short. A friend of mine that's Director of Prevention and Control pleaded with me to take the shot, this was a couple of years ago. I did and was sick constantly for months. I actually came down with Pneumonia. She convinced me to try it again the following year, I did and the same thing happened. My Internal Medicine Doctor suggested that I not take it again.

I respect everyone's feelings, I however will never take a shot again. I have been well since.

I normally don't get a flu shot. I used to get them when I was a child, but it always seemed that I got the flu (minor case) from the shot, and then got the flu when it came around.

HOWEVER, you should remember that if you are sick when the cruise starts, you might be refused boarding -- a real bummer. Soooo, DW and I will get getting the seasonal flu shots this year, and likely the H1N1 as well.

I don't want to get sick, and I don't want to be responsible for someone else's getting sick, but on a personal level I don't want to miss my cruise because I was sick when it was going to start.

That's just my two cents.

Archived