who's getting a h1n1 flu shot before their cruise?

bonsat

i have never had a flu shot before. in fact, i have never had the flu. but people all around us are dying from this sickness. it is a pandemic.

i have gotten sick from a cruise before -- pneumonia that almost killed me. my husband has gotten noro virus on a cruise. the germs are out there! and i am cruising in 8 weeks.

hate injecting foreign viral matter into myself, but would like to make antibodies to fight off this terrible sickness just in case. the vaccine is coming to my area within the next two weeks.

what would you do?

I got my flu shot yesterday but the H1N2 (which is what they're calling it now at the hospital where I work) will not be available until after we return. If it was available now, I would definitely consider getting it - even though it has not been fatal to women in my age group, the thought of getting it and passing it on to my kids or my pregnant sister-in-law is what tips the scales for me in terms of getting the shot. I just wish I could get it before we leave on Friday. Oh well!

i have never had a flu shot before. in fact, i have never had the flu. but people all around us are dying from this sickness. it is a pandemic.

i have gotten sick from a cruise before -- pneumonia that almost killed me. my husband has gotten noro virus on a cruise. the germs are out there! and i am cruising in 8 weeks.

hate injecting foreign viral matter into myself, but would like to make antibodies to fight off this terrible sickness just in case. the vaccine is coming to my area within the next two weeks.

what would you do?

I'd do a little more research on how many are actually dying from it in the last few months, where they were from, the circumstances. Sounds like younger people or women who are PG are at highest risk. Any death is horrible but let's not go overboard here with dramatic posts about people dying all around us and a pandemic.

I agree with Ready. I too am from New Jersey and I don't see people surcoming to this disease in great numbers. The people expiring already have other things wrong. I got my regular flu shot last Saturday and hope to have the H1N1 before I go. Some airports have clinics that give out flu shots to travelers, so look around your airport on the way if you haven't had it by the time you leave. I hear the people most likely to get the virus are people born after 1957, the year I was hatched. Once on the ship you are more likely to get the rotovirus, so use the hand sanitizers that are everywhere these days.

I'd do a little more research on how many are actually dying from it in the last few months, where they were from, the circumstances. Sounds like younger people or women who are PG are at highest risk. Any death is horrible but let's not go overboard here with dramatic posts about people dying all around us and a pandemic.

There is a Pandemic -- pandemic just means the virus has infected people in multiple countries and continents.

The poster who said she was getting the shot so she has less a chance of exposing her loved ones to the disease is absolutely correct. You are actually getting the shot for them -- your loved ones who are most at jeopardy.

I'm with Yonnie on this. We're over 65 so aren't eligible. But we have the regular flu shots every year, and last week, I had the pneumonia shot.

I might still consider the H1N1 if I were eligible...but personally I'm a little skeptical as it hasn't been tested yet.

We leave on our cruise in a little over 2 weeks. We already received our "seasonal" flu shots and I would get the H1N1 if available. To the OP, I wouldn't be sure you are eligable to get the H1N1 shot yet. In our area (SE PA and South Jersey) the CDC is limiting the availability for the first round of the available vaccine to "healthy" kids and pregnant women. IIRC "normal" folks won't be able to receive the vaccine for H1N1 until late December/Early January.

We missed our first cruise due to contracting the "normal" flu and getting severe symptoms the day before we were to sail. I would take any precaution possible to avoid that again!

We received the regular flu shots last week. H1N1 not available yet. When the H1N1 shots arrive we will get them as soon as we are able. We are over 65 and both have COPD however the initial shots will be reserved for people in the medical industry and for pregnant women. The next priority will be children.

I heard something interesting during a radio interview yesterday with an Dr. from the Cleveland Clinic that specializes in infectious diseases...he said that there was a very similar flu to the H1N1 bug going around about 65-67 years ago and if you were alive back then you were probably exposed to the virus and perhaps you already have built up some immunity to the H1N1.

And since I was born in the 60's, I'll be getting both the flu shot and the H1N1 shot too before we cruise in Dec.

This is only my second time getting the Flu hot.I work with preschoolers and Mentally disabled children.IMy School District will be administering the H1N1 flu inhaler and shot in the coming weeks.I will be first in line,although I would rather receive the Nasal Inhalation instead of the shot,but alas I am too old

It has been reported by some on CC that since they are over 65 they will not be eligible for the H1N1 shots. While in some areas this may be a criteria (some CCers say it is), it is NOT true for many of us. In my state there is no such limitation, although certain other groups will be eligible for the shots first. Please do not assume that if you are over 65 you cannot get it, check with your health care providers or State Health Department before you make such an assumption.

When my "turn" comes I plan to get the shot unless something clearly contradictory becomes evident in the interim.

I can't wait to get my shot. I'll take every shot they offer. Just me, I guess. I have a sick boy at home so if I get the flu, I will be sleeping at the Holiday Inn. Wonder if they have a pool.:) for when I'm feeling better.

I can't wait to get my shot. I'll take every shot they offer. Just me, I guess. I have a sick boy at home so if I get the flu, I will be sleeping at the Holiday Inn. Wonder if they have a pool.:) for when I'm feeling better.

They may have a "Retreat" for you out back.

I had several bouts of flu in the late 60's, I don't recall breaking out in pig snouts, but they were serious enough that I never pass up a year without a shot. So I'm in that age group they don't feel is at risk for H1N1.

Even though I'm at a large medical center the only available vaccines will be for workers in patient care for the next month or so and that's for H1N1, they don't even have a timeline for the regular shot usually administered this month.

So---I just signed-up for a seniors vaccine study, I think it's me three old lab rats and a bald guinea pig, but I'll get either the regular or an enhanced shot to measure antibody development. Either way I'll be protected for at least the regular strain.

I guess I will have to wait until the "death panel" decides they have enough H1N1 left over for us seniors who are still alive.:D

This is a quote from the WHO - World Health Organization - website.

"As of 27 September 2009, worldwide there have been more than 340,000 laboratory confirmed cases of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009 and over 4100 deaths reported to WHO."

4,100 deaths reported - WORLDWIDE - out of a population of over 6 billion. The media is hyping this out of proportion, I think.

I don't plan on getting the vaccine - DH and I are over 60 and there have been several outbreaks of this type of flu over the past 50 or 60 years and doctors are saying that people our age probably have built up some immunity. Plus I'm a little worried about a vaccine that was developed so quickly.

If people take the usual precautions, wash your hands, keep your hands away from your face, stay at home if you don't feel well, etc. most people will be fine.

I got my seasonal flu shot 2 weeks ago and will get the H1N1 as soon as it is available to me - don't know of any special over 65 age restriction in Indiana - just going to health care workers, pregnant ladies and kids first. Our doctor said it should be available for us before the end of the year.

what would you do?

It's going to be hard to get at first. I am not sure what slot you fit into. My kids will be getting just as soon as it is available. But even they are after healthcare workers, pregnant women.. I will feel better once my kids have it. I will for sure get it , once it becomes available to the general public.. IF I have not gotten the flu already!

I'm very much on the fence about whether to get H1N1 vaccine or not.

We had our seasonal flu shots about three weeks ago, we are under age 65, we've had pneumonia shots, I have heart condition that makes me in risk group and there is no indication of how soon it will be available to general public in Massachusetts.

I have questions about how long/how well it has been tested.

Also, by the time they make it available to most of us, the risk of contracting that flu may have diminished. It takes about ten days after innoculation for full effectiveness of the vaccine and many states are already reporting many cases of H1N1. By the time I can get it, we probably will have already taken our flight to get to our ship to cruise and will have been exposed along the way. By the time I will be able to get the shot, I either will probably have already gotten the flu or was exposed and had some natural immunity protecting me....or maybe the cumulation of all the flu shots through the years and the cases of flu I had years ago will offer some protection. Don't know.

There are a number of doctors and nurses refusing the shot and that makes me go Hmmm???

All this talk about flu shots and H1N1 shots is very confusing. I've been getting my annual flu shot for many years. Last week there was discussion that stated "people who got the flu shot last year are more likely to get H1N1 then those who did not get their shots.

Also when H1N1 is available here in November they will immunize health care workers, young kids and those 65 or older.

Seriously I think I'm screwed either way. I'm only 61 and got my shot last year.

I have stopped shaking hands, no more embracing, and do wash my hands regularly.

I guess I can just hope for the best.

I did the seasonal shot. I will take the other ASAP. This virus will keep changing and keep reappearing. The more flu shots you have the more protected you will be even into the future. I prefer to do the shot because it is a killed virus.

I have already taken the seasonal flu shot, same as every year. Because I am 60 and don't have any additional risk factors, I will wait for the H1N1 shot until they have given it to all the people who need it more. Then I will make my decision based on my doctor's recommendation, mostly to avoid spreading the flu. I will also check to see if it becomes a requirement for any of our ports of call. I'm not at all worried about receiving the vaccine, although I'll probably whine about my sore arm.

There is no more chance of reaction etc from the h1n1 as there is for the reg. flu shot. It was not rushed in making it, just making it in quantities and getting it out in a timely fashion. You can get the flu and survive but you could be quite sick. Why wreck your cruise? You will be confined to your room until you stop coughing. Imagine staying in your room and paying over $100 a day to sit there and feel yucky. You probably won't even want to eat that wonderful food! Just broth and toast! I certainly would get the norovirus shot if there was one:(

Archived