who's getting a h1n1 flu shot before their cruise?

bonsat

We had our normal flu shots in February (we get them 6 months before those in the northern hemisphere) and on Monday we had our H1N1 vaccination as we will be in the Northern Hemisphere for 6 weeks in a couple of weeks time. We also will be on a plane for over 24 hours+ so we didn't want to risk being ill whilst away from home.

We have had no reaction whatsover and feel normal. It is now 3 days since we had the shot. Our Government is giving everyone over 10 years of age a free vaccination.

Jennie

I'm with Yonnie on this. We're over 65 so aren't eligible. But we have the regular flu shots every year, and last week, I had the pneumonia shot.

I might still consider the H1N1 if I were eligible...but personally I'm a little skeptical as it hasn't been tested yet.

We got our pneumonia shot a few years ago foloowed by a booster shot. So we are all set on that factor.

thanks for all your opinions and advice. i am still as confused as when i started. btw, i am under 65 so i don't have immunity from the old outbreak of swine flu. also, despite what it says here, i am a permanent resident of florida where they have decided to make the vaccine available to type 2 diabetics like me when it is available.

i can't imagine a more likely place to catch and spread the flu than on a cruise ship for 14 days. i will probably get he vaccine.

I believe that most people should get both flu shots -- there will always be those that question the validity of 'whatever' as an excuse not to get the shot.

I think that statement belittles some people's legitimate concerns.

I get the seasonal flu shot every year.

I have a genuine concern about the limited and short term testing that has been done on this vaccine. I have an underlying heart condition and the last thing I need is a serious reaction to an untested, possbily less than safe injection.

Many doctors and nurses are refusing this vaccine.

Why?

Please do not dismiss these concerns with a flick of the wrist. I'll see what our personal physicians say is best for us.

We're sailing Dec 2 and thankfully have had our season flu shots but are awaiting the H1N1 vaccine to be available to us, hoefully before we leave.

We are 55 and 66, rural area volunteer Emergency Medical Service providers and should be eligible in the initial offering, if we can find a place to get them.

It is true that the initial target groups for vaccination does not include those 65 and over, but they should be vaccinated when there is the full complement of vaccine available, that is, after the initial target groups of those shown to be more at risk, including pregnant women, children etc.

It is a prioritization based on the history of who has been most affected by the H1N1 flu so far. It does not mean that those 65 and over can't get vaccinated. That age group might consider themselves the stong ones against this strain, for whatever reasons (history, past exposure, the fact that they've made it this far! whatever the CDCs use....) but should still get immunized when there is enough vaccine to go around.

The priorities are set locally, so what happens in one state or one county will be different for other locales.

Reference the Centers for Disease Control at http://www.cdc.gov and click on H1N1, then Vaccinations.

PS We have recently been having 911 calls for patients that exhibit the H1N1 symptoms and sadly have had one death in our area, a 21 year old woman who had no other compromising medical conditions.

IMO I think eveyone should get vaccinated when it is available to them, thus helping protect those you come in contact with in case you become a carrier. Just my opinion, not wishing to go against anyone's professional medical advise they receive from their health care provider.

And yes!! wash your hand, wash your hands, wash your hands. :)

All I can say is get the shot if you can I just got over the H1N1 flu. In less than an hr I was dead on my feet and within 2 days I had pneumonia. Couldn't breathe and still have a slight cough 2 weeks later. I am 51 yrs old in very good health with no underlying conditions. Its not a good thing to have and will ruin any cruise for sure you may be going on. I had already had the reg flu shot a month ago So I guess the good thing is now I won't get it. My 23 yr old son got it at college and he is fine and actually did better than myself.

Yep, the swine flu is in Northern California. I have a client, who is in her early 30s, who has had it since late last week. Sudden onset, high fever for one night, chills, very bad stomach cramps and diarrhea for several days. The doctor would not give her tamiflu, said she was young and healthy and should drink a glass of water each hour. She felt much better after 3 days, but stayed in so as not to spread it. Students at the college where I teach are coming down with it, too--and the vaccine just reached us.

I spoke to my daughter this evening. She is a 6th grade teacher in Centeral PA and she said that almost half of the students in her class are out sick this week with "flu like symptoms". They don't know for sure if it's "regular" flu or H1N1, but it is kind of early in the season for the regular flu to hit. I also just heard on the news that one of the Catholic High Schools in the Philadelphia area has been closed due to an outbreak of suspected H1N1. Apparently one of their cheeleaders has a confirmed case and they think the virus spread through teh student body at a homecoming dance this past weekend.

I do agree with S7S, the best thing to do would be to consult your physician and seek their advice.

I just know that I do not want to miss another cruise due to being sick with the flu. Perhaps I will crawl into one of those isolation "bubbles" for the next two and a half weeks!

I totally agree with S7S. We are in our mid 50's and neither of us are getting it or the regular flu shots. My transplant surgeon has always told me not to get a regular flu shot so the H1N1 is a definite no go for me. Even he won't get the shot and the hospital is not requiring their doctors to get it even though they are "highly encouraging" all doctors to get the H1N1 shot. He is not the only doctor I have heard of that is not going to get it either. So that really makes me go hmmmmmmmm....... JMO

I administer seasonal flu vaccine to adults and flumist to children every year. I have been a nurse for 35 years, so my immunity is pretty good.

That said, I will be taking the H1N1 immunization. Since this is a pandemic flu (world wide), I have not been exposed to the various components of this virus, as it has literally traveled around the world.

Linda C

Speaking of getting your shots.. We also got vaccinated for Shingles. Two friends of ours came down with shingles in the past few years and the pain they endured was terrible. Think about it. Discuss it with your doc.

Rich

For the sake of you, your loved ones, fellow cruisers and everyone you come in contact with, if you qualify, get the shot. Seems like the most prudent thing to do in the coming days.

H1N1 shots will only be available in Canada mid-November. My GP told me last week that I can only get the "regular" flu shot February 1st as I'm younger than 65. Cough, cough. At least I can say I haven't had a cold or flu for over five years (might be the Vitamin D I take daily). On the other hand, my hands are so dry from all this washing and using alcohol based sanitizers.

According to the literature handed out by the Department of Health of our Australian Government, the H1N1 only protects you only against one strain which is the panademic H1N1, whereas the normal influenza vaccination usually protects one against 3 strains or types of influenza.

As all the vaccines are being made here in Melbourne for distribution world wide, I am sure they know what they are talking about.

Jennie

My 11 yo just got over the swine flu last week. Wasn't as bad as we expected and wasn't any worse then the seasonal flu. None of our other 5 family members caught it, even though we were hoping we would so there would be no risk of getting sick on the cruise.

I have debated getting the flu shot, but have decided against it. I have heard so many different opinions on whether it helps or hurts you and whether it is safe or not. I have decided that I will handle this the same way I have handled the flu in the past and let my immune system build up to deal with it.

Chris,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL Board. I see it is your first post.

We had our vaccinations on Monday and are very glad to have had them as we have a 24 hour flight to Athens to board our ship, - HAL's Prinsendam, and our Farewell to Europe 24 day cruise, - followed by a further 10 days in New Orleans, Las Vegas and Honolulu before flying home, so we certainly do not want to get sick whilst away, especially as we will be in the Northern Hemisphere for the entire time and their flu season is just beginning.

We both have not had any side effects either.

Jennie

The CDC website has helpful information on the swine flu, if anyone would like to try there. http//:cdc.gov. Just look at the links and you will be able to find it.

The strange thing about swine flu is that it has been infecting people "off season", not during flu season. Flu season usually peaks in Jan/Feb and it's been circulating now. (In the Northern Hemisphere, don't know about Sourthern). Also, it's been hitting younger people, not the older people usually more suseptible to flu.

I think what is worisome to health organizations, is that there is limited immunity in the population, so more people could be effected at one time then during a regular flu season. Some research points to 20-30% of population at one time in some areas. Also, they are a little worried about mutation to a more verilant strain. I was reading, a few days ago, that the part of the virus that is related to immunity has nothing to do with how severe of sickness it causes. They believe, if you have some immunity through vacination, then if it mutates, you will still have some level of protection.

I am not an expert, but I am a teacher and I am exposed to all sorts of nasties all the time. I really don't get as sick as I used to, probably because my immune system is always on full alert. I am, however, worried about the swine flu. I really don't want to get the flu in the middle of a cruise. I had the regular flu in February and it was bad enough. 101-103 temperature for 5 days, sick for over a week . I already got a flu shot last Saturday because I don't want to come anywhere close to being that sick again, anytime soon.

Had our regular flu shots a few weeks ago & pneumonia shots several years ago..We're over 65, so not in the age group to get the initial H1N1 vacinations, which will be available in our area early next week...

However, I volunteer in the Pet Therapy program at both a local School (reading program) & our Hospital..

We've decided to suspend our school reading program until all the children have been vaccinated..Many of them come from one parent &/or low income households... Their parents can't afford to keep them home & often send the children to school even when they are coughing & sneezing. Since we work one on one with each child, we're susceptible to catching anything the children have..We feel very sad that we can't go back for a couple of months, as the kids want to know when the dogs are coming back, but believe it's the wisest decision for the time being..

We have different groups of Pet Therapy Volunteers which go to the Hospital one or two days a week..Many of the Pet Therapy Volunteers in our program, have decided to suspend their Hospital work until they can get the H1N1 shot..Those in our group are still volunteering, however we don't go into rooms of patients who are in quarantine... Some of our spouses are not happy about us going to the Hospital until we can get the shot, but we're not really worried..

Our age group may not get the shot before our Nov, cruise, but I'm taking vitamin "C" daily & trying to follow the Indian Scientist's guidelines on avoiding the H1N1 flu..

Please wish us luck, as we really need this cruise!

Betty

Archived