When to book the last minute cruise?

eiloo

Hi,

Looking at a couple Mediterranean cruises sailing in November and trying to decide whether or not I should wait to book or will prices fall and the lines dropping prices a bit to encourage last minute passengers?

We're about 5-6 weeks out and am thinking about the NCL Gem or RCI Voyager. Not really too concerned about cabin as we would probably book an inside guarantee anyways.

I know in the past, I've seen it where the outside cabins will end up being cheaper than the insides. Not sure if it's because they've sold out of all the insides and now the cheapest cabins available are the outsides.

Any way of really checking to see the number of remaining cabins? I've been taking a look at some sites I am tracking fares on and go through each of the categories to see if they are now guarantees or if they allow you to choose a cabin.

Any thoughts and/or direction would be appreciated.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks Paul.

Yup. Airfare has been secured. Just deciding on which line to sail. We've been on NCL but it would be a first for RCI.

So I guess what I've been doing on the sites in checking the available cabins is pretty much all the transparency I can get without actually going through a TA or contacting the line.

When I called NCL, they said 2 days in advance. Not much difference than it is in the US.

I guess I'm just trying to time it so that I'm getting the best possible price (as one could doing a last minute booking). With my luck, regardless of when I book, in a few days the price will drop or a better category will be cheaper. The story of my life.

Does anyone know when NCL and/or RCI would assign cabins for guarantees? Is it pretty much whatever they have available at the time of booking? Or is it just pure luck of the draw?

In speaking with NCL, they're saying that it could be as late as two days prior to sailing.

In the US, you must book at least 72 hours before sailing. I don't know the rule for Europe. You may want to check with one of the lines or a TA.

This is not true. I spoke with a booking agent from one of the big cruiselines a few months ago. He said they can book on the actual sail-date as long as cabins are available and you go directly with the cruise.

That whole 72 hour manifest deal is bogus. They turn in the final passenger list something like 90 minutes before sailing.

This is not true. I spoke with a booking agent from one of the big cruiselines a few months ago. He said they can book on the actual sail-date as long as cabins are available and you go directly with the cruise.

That whole 72 hour manifest deal is bogus. They turn in the final passenger list something like 90 minutes before sailing.

Have you or anyone done this before? I wonder how much of a discount is given at that point...

Does anyone know when NCL and/or RCI would assign cabins for guarantees? Is it pretty much whatever they have available at the time of booking? Or is it just pure luck of the draw?

In speaking with NCL, they're saying that it could be as late as two days prior to sailing.

With RCL guarantees can be assigned anywhere from the moment you book to the time you arrive at the port of debarkation and anywhere in between. Also, sometimes even once you are assigned a room, it can be changed up until you arrive.

RCL does offer a price guarantee where if the price drops after you book, they will give you the price drop. If it occurs after final payment is made, you receive the difference in On Board Credit (and if you do not use it up, the unused OBC is refunded to your credit card). The only exception is they sometimes do sales for new bookings only (generally on tuesdays); the price guarantees do not apply for these special offers.

With RCL guarantees can be assigned anywhere from the moment you book to the time you arrive at the port of debarkation and anywhere in between. Also, sometimes even once you are assigned a room, it can be changed up until you arrive.

RCL does offer a price guarantee where if the price drops after you book, they will give you the price drop. If it occurs after final payment is made, you receive the difference in On Board Credit (and if you do not use it up, the unused OBC is refunded to your credit card). The only exception is they sometimes do sales for new bookings only (generally on tuesdays); the price guarantees do not apply for these special offers.

Thanks.

This is helpful. The price guarantee you mentioned seems like it would typically be hard to get your OBC since a lot of the sales that they have typically exclude those who have booked, cancel and rebook. So are there opportunities to actually see an OBC if you're monitoring it each day? Also, how many times will they allow you to do this "price match"? Perhaps there is a minimum amount that it needs to drop by in order to provide you with the credit.

I think Voyager is on a special sale right now, so that price will end soon. If still not selling then there might be a new sale, but when someone is on special price like that, I grab it. RCL also allows price matching, I think its OBC now, but you can still match anything except the tuesday sales.

If I were the original poster, I would select whichever line offers a better deal. If it ends up being RCI, even better because it is a better line than NCL. Our two NCL cruises have been enjoyable, but dining selections were limited -- unless you used the pay restaurants -- and service rushed. Shows were pretty good. We just came back from a terrific RCI cruise, our first. Very restful. Good food, excellent service, nice inside cabin, pretty lousy shows.

If I were the original poster, I would stop worrying about prices at this point. If you have found a good deal, stop this nonsensical waiting game unless it is the suspense you like. That's how I invest too. I do my research and if the price is attractive, I buy the stock. Works so well we can afford to take two cruises a year.

In making the final decision I would also consider the cabin size. If line A's inside cabin is 128 sq ft and line B's 164, the choice is obvious.

Enjoy. And take a couple of good books to read. The libraries of RCI and NCL ships are a far cry from HAL, whose libraries are excellent and books plentiful. Although a Mediterranean cruise is likely to be very port-intensive.

If I were the original poster, I would select whichever line offers a better deal. If it ends up being RCI, even better because it is a better line than NCL. Our two NCL cruises have been enjoyable, but dining selections were limited -- unless you used the pay restaurants -- and service rushed. Shows were pretty good. We just came back from a terrific RCI cruise, our first. Very restful. Good food, excellent service, nice inside cabin, pretty lousy shows.

If I were the original poster, I would stop worrying about prices at this point. If you have found a good deal, stop this nonsensical waiting game unless it is the suspense you like. That's how I invest too. I do my research and if the price is attractive, I buy the stock. Works so well we can afford to take two cruises a year.

In making the final decision I would also consider the cabin size. If line A's inside cabin is 128 sq ft and line B's 164, the choice is obvious.

Enjoy. And take a couple of good books to read. The libraries of RCI and NCL ships are a far cry from HAL, whose libraries are excellent and books plentiful. Although a Mediterranean cruise is likely to be very port-intensive.

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. I have been doing my research and tracking prices... I think we're leaning more now towards NCL because we've sailed them a number of times in the Caribbean and enjoyed them. We would probably sail RCI or another line in the Caribbean in the future just to get different ports of call. We're not too worried about the small rooms. When Sun Cruises was still around, I think that interior room was the smallest out of all the ships we have sailed.

Last year, I waited until just under 30 days out to book my 10 day NE/Canada cruise on the NCL Jewel. I had seen the price drop to what I thought was the low. I kept watching, and about two weeks out, it dropped again to what would be the final low. My TA tried to get me the difference as an OBC, but they wouldn't do it. My TA pleaded my case some more and at least got me upgraded to an outside cabin.

This year I waited until two weeks out to book.

It helps if you are fortunate to 1 - have flexibility in scheduling, and 2 - live close enough to port to avoid need to fly

Last year, I waited until just under 30 days out to book my 10 day NE/Canada cruise on the NCL Jewel. I had seen the price drop to what I thought was the low. I kept watching, and about two weeks out, it dropped again to what would be the final low. My TA tried to get me the difference as an OBC, but they wouldn't do it. My TA pleaded my case some more and at least got me upgraded to an outside cabin.

This year I waited until two weeks out to book.

It helps if you are fortunate to 1 - have flexibility in scheduling, and 2 - live close enough to port to avoid need to fly

Hmm... seems like you're a last minute cruiser as well. All the cruises I have booked have been after final payment so I end up making a full and final payment. NCL doesn't do a lot after that from what I hear. Glad you did get an upgrade at least.

Where did you sail on the 2 weeks prior to sailing booking?

As I have the flights taken care of, we'll at least be in Barcelona for the week so it's just the cruise portion that is left. Probably not the typical way to do things, but thought I'd try it out this way.

We're at 36 days now. I was thinking of tracking for another week or so before booking. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have booked the same cruise as last year...NCL Jewel leaving 20 OCT.

I am only 12 miles from the pier, and I can take my vacation almost anytime I wish.

I am a last minute cruiser. If the price goes up, or it sells out....no big deal, I'll just wait for something else to come along.

The only exception to my practice was when I learned of the QE2's retirement. I immediately booked passage in July of 2007 for the final Winter Crossing of January 2008.

I usually try to travel off season when demand is lowest. The weather makes no difference at all to me.

Thanks Paul.

Yup. Airfare has been secured. Just deciding on which line to sail. We've been on NCL but it would be a first for RCI.

So I guess what I've been doing on the sites in checking the available cabins is pretty much all the transparency I can get without actually going through a TA or contacting the line.

We just came back from Grand Med on Carnival's new "Dream" - inaugural. It was fantastic. You might want to try that one, especially the new outside room with 2 bathrooms! We're spoiled now. Ship was amazing, ports fantastic. We don't know how the prices compare or if they will lower, but just a thought about Carnival vs. RCI (much smaller rooms).

Living in Paradise!

Hmm... seems like you're a last minute cruiser as well. All the cruises I have booked have been after final payment so I end up making a full and final payment. NCL doesn't do a lot after that from what I hear. Glad you did get an upgrade at least.

Where did you sail on the 2 weeks prior to sailing booking?

As I have the flights taken care of, we'll at least be in Barcelona for the week so it's just the cruise portion that is left. Probably not the typical way to do things, but thought I'd try it out this way.

We're at 36 days now. I was thinking of tracking for another week or so before booking. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

FYI - we just got back from the 12-day inaugural Carnival Dream to the Grand Med with Barcelona as a port of call. It was fantastic - one of our favs. Suggest you take the Hop On, Hop Off double decker bus ride. It stops at all the famous sites. Do the entire route first, then take it to the spots you want. There's a blue line and a red line - both are great, but make sure you see the Familia Sagrada church. It's phenomenal! Have a great time. Our trip was truly a "dream"!!!

Living in Paradise!

Does the itinery matter to you at all? Or maybe where the ship comes into port, either Galveston or NewYork (amazing time of year to be in NY) We switched from the Voyager to Gem as the port stops will make us happier as well as NY at Christmas time. We also will be experiencing the NCL line for the first time. I will be able to compare it to RCL & Carnival. Both TA sailings have very active roll calls and either choice will still be a amazing sailing. How much time will you be in Barcelona prior to sailing?

Archived