Outside NYC

Colin_Cameron

Hi Guys,

Thinking about a TA next year (maybe one of the April crossings). We've been to the city a few times now and I was thinking about hiring a car and heading out to see some of the countryside away from the metropolis.

So looking for advise from anyone who knows this neck of the woods.

Niagra Falls seems to be about a days drive away. Is there something enroute that would be worth making this a two day journey? Suggestions for a round trip?

What about other directions out of NYC?

Did think about Philadelphia and DC but I'm sure a day or two in each wouldn't do them justice.

What about North-East? Long Island-Martha's Vineyard-Cape Cod.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Regards, Colin.

Hi Guys,

Thinking about a TA next year (maybe one of the April crossings). We've been to the city a few times now and I was thinking about hiring a car and heading out to see some of the countryside away from the metropolis.

So looking for advise from anyone who knows this neck of the woods.

Niagra Falls seems to be about a days drive away. Is there something enroute that would be worth making this a two day journey? Suggestions for a round trip?

What about other directions out of NYC?

Did think about Philadelphia and DC but I'm sure a day or two in each wouldn't do them justice.

What about North-East? Long Island-Martha's Vineyard-Cape Cod.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Regards, Colin.

+++++

Colin - How much time do you have, then I can help.

Ted

Knowing the amount of time is important, as Karanja said...but as a New Englander I can tell you that going North in April...well you'd be taking a big chance with the weather.

However, Washington DC in April can be lovely, we lived there for several years and April was always our favorite month. You can do a lot in two days and of course all the Smithsonian Museums are free. It's a lovely time to go. Also, you can take the train from NYC and be there in a few hours.

Tho the weather is cooler in April any of these destinations are interesting & fun.....

East End of Long Isalnd has the Hamptons & North Fork wineries and Montaiuk.....

Newport s an easy drive with the mansion / summer cottages of teh Vanderbilts etc....

Boston is small enough for 2-3 days & Cape Cod anytime of year is beautiful...all teh way to Provincetown....

Philadelphia is less than 2 hours away - another nice small city...

Another option is to fly to Bermuda in less than 2 hours - faboo....

There are stuff along the way to Niagara such as the Baseball Hall of Fame but i woudl agree that Washington DC may be a better option in April. also, take Amtrak 9especially the Acela) - it is much better than driving. It is fast and I95 to Washington is boring. Two days in Washington would be fine; we have even done day trips from New York by train with visitors for overseas that have had limited time.

I agree with Peter (But then you'd expect that when you check my location...) I always come back home by train, and the April 22 crossing would bring you here at a lovely time of year. Even though the cherry trees will be past blooming time, the azaleas look fantastic, and that's not to mention the rest of the "bloomers". You can also fly back to England from two of our three airports...

Growing up in New Hampshire, and I suppose I am a bit partial, but the White Mountains and Mount Washington, in particular, are certainly spectacular and not that far away. It certainly would be my choice. Most impressive!:)

Gail

Thanks for replies.

Would probably be looking to spend about a week travelling around.

Hadn't thought about the train.

Flights are really tied to NY as we would be flying direct from (or home to) Glasgow.

Thanks again, Colin.

With a week's time, you would have a great time in DC, and happy to make suggestions/help if you decide to come down--think of it as another cruise: unpack once and enjoy the area... This is a site I check when friends come to town: http://dc.about.com/

And the Amtrak's Acela is very nice, with its own waiting area at Penn Station...

Consider a ride up the Hudson Vally to Hyde Park, the home of Franklin Delanor Roosevelt. For lunch make reservations in advance at the Culinary Institute of America.

Hi Bob From Connecticut.

How about good old Connecticut?

Gail from Connecticut :)

If I had a week to spend anywhere in the northeast, without spending too much time traveling, I would go along with those who say Washington, DC. There is a lot to see in the city between the Smithsonian, the Mall (and the monuments/memorials around the mall), the Capitol, the Air and Space Museum, the Mint and the FBI Building. You can even add an overnight trip down to Old Williamsburg.

The Boston/Cambridge area is nice also, but as has been said, April is still iffy with the weather. More so if you head north to Niagra Falls. Going north from the city, there are stops along the way, including West Point (which is an hours drive north of the city). But the Buffalo area can still be dealing with wintry weather even in April.

Having grown up on Long Island, I would skip it. Not much out there and I don't know if Montauk Point is the best spent use of your time. But, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for replies.

Would probably be looking to spend about a week travelling around.

Hadn't thought about the train.

Flights are really tied to NY as we would be flying direct from (or home to) Glasgow.

Thanks again, Colin.

Colin

If Washington, Amtrak's non-Acela trains are cheaper. Look at the website for specials. There are several good hotels within five minutes' walk from Union Station and the neighborhood is fine. You can then walk to many sights or use the Metro and/or bus system.

You could make a day trip to Inner Harbor Baltimore and the weekday MARC trains are cheaper than Amtrak. Another would be Annapolis, by bus, for the Naval College and capitol of Maryland.

Ted

Colin

If Washington, Amtrak's non-Acela trains are cheaper. Look at the website for specials. Ted

Amtrak is currently running a "special" with $49 one-way fares between NYC and D.C. until the end of this year. I expect they will have something similar in the Spring. Remember, though, that those cheaper fares are not necessary available the whole day--late nights are cheapest. "Senior" fares are also interestingly priced. And the rest of Ted's and Gometros' suggestions are spot on.

Archived