Comparing Cruise Lines by Value for Suites

kelleherdl

I have really been doing a lot of cross-cruise-line comparing, admittedly on the web; don't have the money or time yet to really compare. There doesn't seem to be anybody that comes close to HAL in providing the same 'value' for suite-cruisers. Our first HAL cruise was on the Noordam in Sep 2007 and we will be taking a Sept 2010 Med cruise. Our Alaska cruise was in an SY cabin, which was very comfortable and we thought quite reasonably priced. This time we are splurging on an SA again at a very reasonable price. We shopped around and I could not find any comparable cruise line that offered the same cabins and same amenities (which are quite substantial on HAL) at anywhere near the same price. We are so glad we discovered HAL.

Now the question. Have I missed any secret gems out there ? :D

I am glad to see the information that you have researched. I have tried one other cruise line and felt like a sardine on a crowded float. I love the HAL look, feel, smell and taste. Ah, and to save the money to actually have a suite one time would be bliss.

Linda

NCL suites have butler service, private pool/courtyard on some ships. I have never experienced them but there's a lot of reviews on NCL's boards. However, I've read comments that NCL isn't as good as HAL for food, service, whatever. Just an observation.

I agree that Holland America has wonderful service. But, so do some others, as well. NCL has fantastic staff, though there are people who will complain about that. Go to the Carnival board right now and you will see an incredible complaint concerning customer service. It's enough to make your eyes cross. :rolleyes:

Kelleherdl, I agree about HAL value in suites.

There are many more luxurious suites in the industry. However, none approach the value for price.

And yes...I've looked, and my family have tried other lines. I think some people "fit" HAL best in ways nothing to do their age. So, if what you're looking for is "something like a HAL suite", it's my opinion the only equivalent *is* a HAL suite.

There's some controversy on this board about HAL suite benefits being affected by HAL 4* (over 200 day) Mariners now getting priority embarkation/debarkation/tender services. Only time will tell which itineraries this will impact meaningfully. Also, not everyone who loves HAL suites cherishes those particular benefits.

HAL suites are low cost in comparison to some of the other lines.

It does depend on what one expects from a "Suite".

Some lines like HAL and Princess have "Suites" that are just larger cabins with a few perks thrown in. At HAL they are relatively cheap, and at Princess they are relatively expensive.

Other lines have "Suites" that actually offer you something more.

At Celebrity, RCCL, and NCL you can book Suites that have King Sized beds, wet bars, butlers, walk-in closets, master bathrooms, extra guest bathrooms, great sound systems, grand pianos, kitchenettes, connecting cabins for children or family, multiple balconies, multiple floor levels, private boxes in the theatre, limos to/from the airport, and many other plusses. It all depends on what you want and what you can afford.

Back four to five years ago you could do some pretty aggressive price shopping on the Internet and we landed a Royal Suite on the old Celebrity Galaxy for less than what we'd spent for an SS on the Oosterdam the year before. That suite came with lots of perks and a butler. Absolutely the nicest cabin we've ever been in. The butler? Total waste but that was him and not butler service per se. The rest of the experience was pretty much the same and we rated Celebrity and HAL tied with pluses here and there on both sides. Overall, with pricing being the way it is today, I'd say HAL is the best or better value.

I totally agree about the Butlers, Randy.

We sailed about 5 or 6 times on Celebrity in their Royal Suites. Beautiful cabins though on Zenith we had no veranda and for us, the Butler was more an annoyance than pleasure. We also were in the Suites on Princess (Sun Class Ship) and again, really liked the cabin but much prefer the service and accomodation on HAL.

I much prefer HAL's excellent cabin stewards combined with concierge service offered to Suites. Much more to our liking and everything/anything we could want or need is handled between the two of them.

Just our personal preference.......

I think the above posters have it right. We've done suites on HAL, NCL, RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity. Celebrity, NCL, and RCCL had the best "rooms" -- is some cases with separate bedrooms, making them true suites. Some had butlers (as noted above, more of an annoyance than a perk).

But we keep coming back the HAL as our "line of preference". Reasons:

1) the best value at sea for suites, 2) excellent service, 3) the Neptune Lounge (a far better perk than is a butler, pounding on your door when you're half asleep on the balcony with a good book).

I have to agree that HAL has the best service in suites. Sailed 7nt Caribbean (3/09) on Ryndam in S35 in March - It was a "free" cruise (won at Bingo 8/08) that we upgraded to full suite (about 4k). Sailed Caribbean Princess in a full suite (R404 - 7/09 9nt) for 7k. No comparison!! The HAL suite was much bigger, the balcony was actually huge (Princess balcony was a disappointment - only 3 ft deep). Room service, cabin steward and customer relations really paled by comparison on Princess. The use of the Neptune lounge and Pinnacle breakfasts on HAL were an added treat. HAL really treated us better than Princess!

Kathie

I have to laugh everytime my DS comments on the NCL Baltic cruise she took a couple of years ago. She says they saw a HAL ship in almost every port. She wanted to run to the crew and ask if she could finish the cruise with HAL. It was that bad! She refuses to even consider another cruise line now! (well maybe Crystal!)

We have been fortunate enough to have sailed on over twenty cruises in what would be referred to as deluxe suites with them split about 1/3 HAL and 2/3 6-star lines with butlers. The price point on HAL is very well situated if one is trying to get the most for their money IMHO. While butlers are nice, the concierge works quite well and is only there when you want them - you are in control.

The only exception is that one of the 6-stars, Crystal, on which we have sailed most of the other cruises, has the best service, excursions, and food quality bar none - again IMHO. That having been said, we are quite pleased with HAL and continue to book them in the future as well. Itinerary is our main guidepost.

harry

Archived