Macaroni & Cheese?

PaulaW

Now, I am not a certified gourmet, but my son is a chef -- we do a little sherry in Turtle Soup -- so not a stretch for clam chowder or Chodah where we are from. Never heard of gin in cooking a chowder, but 'drunken shrimp - yes , tho for chowder --- interesting concept.

I have never done shrimp in gin -- but have done it in Vodka -- got this recipe from a HAL cruise in a cook-off between passengers -- tried it -- and love it!!

Penne a la Vodka with Shrimp

Penne a la Vodka with Shrimp - submitted by passenger on our 2007 Ryndam cruise

Serves 4 - 6

1 stick butter

3 ounces of Vodka

1 pound shrimp

28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

¼ teaspoon dried, red pepper flakes

¾ cup cream

1 pound penne, cooked al dente

Melt butter in large frying pan on medium heat. Add Vodka and shrimp. Cook 3 - 4 minutes to burn off alcohol and cook shrimp.

Add tomatoes and pepper flakes. Stir.

Add cream and stir.

Taste for salt.

Serve hot over penne.

What would you all think of me adding a Recipe section for Cruise Critic Member's Favorite Recipes?

It would be our favorite recipes, credit would be given for where and from whom the recipes come from and credit given for to the CC member submnitting them. I'd also put a Print link so they could easily be printed out...

It is no work to do, just copy and paste, so it would be super easy.

Joanie

What would you all think of me adding a Recipe section for Cruise Critic Member's Favorite Recipes?

It would be our favorite recipes, credit would be given for where and from whom the recipes come from and credit given for to the CC member submnitting them. I'd also put a Print link so they could easily be printed out...

It is no work to do, just copy and paste, so it would be super easy.

Joanie

I'm interested -- but from what a couple of friends who have PM'ed me on other sights I belong to - you have blocked me -- so I will not be participating.

Others will see what I have written.

I'm interested -- but from what a couple of friends who have PM'ed me on other sights I belong to - you have blocked me -- so I will not be participating.

Others will see what I have written.

Yes, at a point in time I did have you on my ignore list. That was a knee jerk reaction to keep myself from having a permanent ban from these boards.

As you can see, since I am responding to you directly, you are not blocked. I grew up and have learned to control my responses.

I would love to have your input into this project KK and look forward to many happy days ahead.

Joanie

I have never done shrimp in gin -- but have done it in Vodka -- got this recipe from a HAL cruise in a cook-off between passengers -- tried it -- and love it!!

Penne a la Vodka with Shrimp

Penne a la Vodka with Shrimp - submitted by passenger on our 2007 Ryndam cruise

Serves 4 - 6

1 stick butter

3 ounces of Vodka

1 pound shrimp

28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

¼ teaspoon dried, red pepper flakes

¾ cup cream

1 pound penne, cooked al dente

Melt butter in large frying pan on medium heat. Add Vodka and shrimp. Cook 3 - 4 minutes to burn off alcohol and cook shrimp.

Add tomatoes and pepper flakes. Stir.

Add cream and stir.

Taste for salt.

Serve hot over penne.

I make my version of "the pink sauce", all the time.

I use about 1T unsalted butter, many cloves of chopped garlic and fat free half and half. It's almost as good with just a smidge of fat.

We ordered an appetizer size serving of Lobster Macaroni in Pinnacle to share with our friends on our recent Maasdam cruise and the four of us loved it. Hugely high fat and calories but the taste we each had was great. Not soupy at all. Was just the right consistency.

My DH & I very much enjoyed the Lobster Mac & Cheese in appetizer sized portions in the PG. We both agreed it would be too rich for an entrée. I found this recipe on-line on a food blog; it was attributed to Statendam Pinnacle Grill Chef Mahendram Sethupathy. ENJOY!

S7S & MQ:

You were both luckier than I was.

In August on the Werterdam I requested an appetizer sized portion of the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese and was told: "I'll check with the cheff".

It never appeared.

Will try again on the E'dam in February.

Wish me luck !

r.

:) Wishing you luck. Our Pinnacle steward wasn't fazed when we asked for it. Made it sound like a common request.

I hope you get to taste it without indulging in the whole, large portion.

(It's great. :) )

S7S & MQ:

In August on the Werterdam I requested an appetizer sized portion of the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese and was told: "I'll check with the cheff".

It never appeared.

Will try again on the E'dam in February.

Wish me luck !

r.

On our Westerdam cruise April/May -- also no appetizer portion -- that is why DH ordered it for the entree -- and will never order it again!!

Yes, at a point in time I did have you on my ignore list. That was a knee jerk reaction to keep myself from having a permanent ban from these boards.

As you can see, since I am responding to you directly, you are not blocked. I grew up and have learned to control my responses.

I would love to have your input into this project KK and look forward to many happy days ahead.

Joanie

Joanie

If I were you I would contact the Hosts concerning starting a Cruise Critic Members Favorite Recipes.

I can't predict how it will go.

There is already a section here - Cruise Foodies: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

and some of us have posted recipes there from time to time from various cruise lines -- but nothing was ever kept in just one thread. There are recipes spread over quite a few pages.

Yonnie

In August on the Westerdam I requested an appetizer sized portion of the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese and was told: "I'll check with the chef". It never appeared. Will try again on the E'dam in February. Wish me luck!

Here's how luck happened for us. I was taking a cooking class with the PG Chef & I casually mentioned that we were looking forward to trying the new PG menu. I told him we were excited to have different choices but I lamented (sweetly of course ;);)) that lobster m&c was only available as an entree. No problem he says - we'll make a tasting course for you. He asked our cabin number & reservation details for the PG. And sure enough, when we arrived the Maitre d' reminded us that we had a lobster m&c taster coming. Like we would have forgotten!

I'm glad we got the taste but we wouldn't order it as an entree. It was flavorful, creamy & luscious but just too filling, even in smaller portions. I hope you luck out as well. I know for sure that others in the PG that evening asked for lobster m&c as an appetizer but they were declined.

Joanie

If I were you I would contact the Hosts concerning starting a Cruise Critic Members Favorite Recipes.

There is already a section here - Cruise Foodies: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

and some of us have posted recipes there from time to time from various cruise lines -- but nothing was ever kept in just one thread. There are recipes spread over quite a few pages.

Yonnie

Thanks Yonnie, But I meant as a section on my web site, just like the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Pages.

That way no one would have to search, they can just click on a link in my signature.

Also, it would mean having it sectioned in a neat and orderly way like a cook book. No having to wade through a huge thread to search for a particular recipe.

As soon as I get it up and somewhat running I will let you know and you can look and tell me what you think.

Sorry not to have answered this ooned, but was updating the Nieuw Amsterdam pages with photos and Deck Layouts to make it easier for all. I am doing it with all the ships, but only have some of the ships done like the Nieuw Amsterdam, so far.

Joanie

Joanie

Yonnie

That's what I was wondering too when Joanie made the offer. Sounded like something that would be more appropriate on the Foodie Forum , a thread limited to HAL recipes.

Thanks Yonnie, But I meant as a section on my web site, just like the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Pages.

That way no one would have to search, they can just click on a link in my signature.

Also, it would mean having it sectioned in a neat and orderly way like a cook book. No having to wade through a huge thread to search for a particular recipe.

As soon as I get it up and somewhat running I will let you know and you can look and tell me what you think.

Sorry not to have answered this ooned, but was updating the Nieuw Amsterdam pages with photos and Deck Layouts to make it easier for all. I am doing it with all the ships, but only have some of the ships done like the Nieuw Amsterdam, so far.

Joanie

I don't see a problem having a link in your signature -- just clear it with the Hosts to be on the safe side.

You can break the recipes down into categories -- like appetizers, soup, desserts, vegetables, entrees, etc.

I belong to C a s u a l C o o k s -- you might want to check them out and see their set up.

I don't see a problem having a link in your signature -- just clear it with the Hosts to be on the safe side.

You can break the recipes down into categories -- like appetizers, soup, desserts, vegetables, entrees, etc.

I belong to C a s u a l C o o k s -- you might want to check them out and see their set up.

OK, I have the basics up. Can you take a look and tell me what you think?? http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Recipes/

Joanie

Good morning Joanie

I just remembered another section after checking out that site I mentioned.

DRINKS!!

Copper 10-8 -- know that he has the recipe for the Wang Wang.

Thanks Yonnie, just added the Drinks section to the main index. Keep those ideas and recipes coming:)

Joanie

I hope people continue to post recipes here when requested. This is the HAL board and I don't think should be bypassed. Any other site in addition is great but this should be the primary spot IMO as CC so generously provides this forum for us and has for so many years.

I think CC'ers should provide info first then anywhere else if they wish. Doesn't seem right to leave CC out of the loop.

NOT saying that is what would happen but hoping it doesn't.

Give Copper 10-8 credit for this Drink recipe:

Wang Wang (spelled Weng Weng on our last bar rceipt):

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

Give Copper 10-8 credit for this Drink recipe:

WangWang (spelled Weng Weng on our last bar rceipt):

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

Got it and gave him the credit:)

And I agree with sail7 and you they should be here also!!

Joanie

Just thought I'd mention that I tried the macaroni and cheese recipe. It was very good-- I liked the addition of the red pepper!

Thanks and I'm glad to see my original question has inspired so many additional recipes!

Archived