Carnival vs. RCI - negatives & Positives?

We've been traveling on Carnival for our last 3 cruises (including the new Dream, which was a dream!!!). We've heard great things about the Royal Caribbean line and that it's also a "fun" ship. What are your opinions between the 2 lines? We'd like an outside room, mid-ship, bottom level. We know that Carnival's cabins are 230 sq. ft. compared to RCL's 170 sq. ft. And Carnival has King-size beds where Royal has queen.

What about the fun, the food, extra costs, shows (which are grander?), etc. Can you advise us? We're thinking of going to the Panama Canal and Caribbean (Costa Rica, Cartegena, Crystobal Pier, Grand Cayman, Labadee) on RCL but don't want to do it if it's not good.

Thanks!

Living in Paradise!

It's true---Carnival beats RCI in the cabin size thing....but RCI does have a great product. You'll find more similarities than differences.

Both lines charge for sodas, alcohol, and specialty restaurant.

Labadee is a lovely private beach day...we love it!

Since you're thinking of the Panama route, if Carnival goes INTO the canal, take that cruise...RCI doesn't go into the canal anymore, and that means having to do an excursion, if you want to see/learn anything about the canal....if the ship goes into the locks (partial transit), you won't need an excursion...the SHIP IS the excursion!

What ships are you comparing? It's much easier to compare specific ships than the whole cruise line. For example, Carnival's rooms are not bigger than RCI on all ships. Many of RCI's newer ships have larger rooms than many of Carnival's.

From what I've read and understand, Carnival charges slightly more for alcohol and specialty restaurants, but RCI makes up for it by charging for room service between 12-5 am. So, in the end, extra costs are probably the same.

I say book RCI. If they weren't great, I wouldn't keep cruising with them. ;)

I've read on here that the two lines are more similar than different and that may be true, but the small differences are differences that meant a lot to me. If you have not yet tried RCI, I highly recommend it. In my very limited experience, just on 2 older ships, the RCI cruise was so much nicer.

Question- from what I read the Carnival Dream isnt sailing yet for the public till December? You said you did 3 cruises on the Dream. Are you a TA or did you do the early sailing from Europe? If so how was the ship?

Are you confusing the Carnival Dream with Oasis of the Seas?

Question- from what I read the Carnival Dream isnt sailing yet for the public till December? You said you did 3 cruises on the Dream. Are you a TA or did you do the early sailing from Europe? If so how was the ship?

Possibly confused with the new ships coming out, (OASIS. Dream, Epic) I know Oasis comes out in December. I read the following on the Dream maybe why I was confused. Living in Paradise mentioned he sailed on the Dream so looking at the schedule below, guess I got confused with what sailing he took on the Dream. All these ships and schedules are so confusing! Sorry.

Carnival Dream is scheduled to enter service Sept 21, 2009, with an inaugural 12-day Grand Mediterranean cruise from Rome (Civitavecchia) featuring seven spectacular ports: Naples, Livorno and Venice (two-day call), Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Messina, Sicily; Monaco; and Barcelona, Spain. Two additional 12-day Grand Mediterranean cruises will be offered on Oct 3 and Oct 15, 2009.

The ship will then sail on a 16-day trans-Atlantic crossing departing Rome (Civitavecchia) Oct 27 and arriving New York Nov 12, 2009. Featured ports include Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, and Malaga, Spain; Las Palmas, Canary Islands; and King’s Wharf, Bermuda (overnight call).

From New York, Carnival Dream will operate two 8-day Bahamas/Florida cruises departing Nov 15 and 23, 2009. These voyages include a call at Port Canaveral (in proximity to Orlando-area attractions), followed by a visit to Nassau and Freeport in The Bahamas.

Following its New York departures, Carnival Dream will reposition to Port Canaveral, Florida, for a special one-time 9-day Caribbean cruise departing Dec. 3. Carnival Dream will then launch year-round 7-day service from Port Canaveral on Dec. 12, offering week-long voyages.

Anyway how was the ship? The shows? The rooms? Any pics?

Archived