Hawaiian Cruise - what's the best way to go?

Hi, we're thinking of going to LA and San Diego then to Hawaii on a cruise. We're afraid to cruise from US (may be too rocky on the Pacific), so would rather fly to Honolulu and sail the islands from there. Any ideas other than NCL, and what do you think about NCL? Any other options? Should we do it or no?

Thanks!!!

Living in Paradise!

Actually, if you're going to fly to the islands, it's really best to do land-tours of Hawaii...on a cruise, you really can't get the "flavor" of the place....too short of a time in each place! By doing a land-based vacation, you can go and see the things that truly interest you (of course, research before you go will greatly enhance your trip!) and spend the amount of time on each island that you'd like!

As far as I know, NCL-America is your only choice if you want all Hawaii. Since they are US flagged and staffed by US persons, NCL-A can sail between the Hawaiian islands without stopping at a foreign port. No other major cruise line can do that as they are foreign flagged.

I've sailed NCL many times, including one on NCL-A in Hawaii. NCL is a bit more casual than other lines, though you are welcome to dress up if you wish. Freestyle open seating is nice on a port intensive itinerary like Hawaii. NCL has more specialty restaurant (fees $10-25); they are nice if you wish to spend the money. Free food in the buffet, main dining rooms, and Blue Lagoon (comfort food) is adequate to good in my opinion, but food quality is so subjective. Compared to the rest of NCL, I found the service on NCL-A a bit less attentive. Not surprising, the crew are generally young US citizens, just like staff in restaurants and bars at home. And, honestly, I don't think we, as a people in general, are as service oriented as the unbelievably hard-working, service-oriented international fcrews cruiselines cherry-pick from abroad. Mind you, I was happy with the service, but it was a bit different on my single NCL-A cruise to date. Keep your expectations realistic. I'm planning to go on another NCL-A cruise next year. You will see a bit of several islands on the cruise, but none in great detail, like any port on any cruise. I think the value for the dollar cannot be beaten. HI is expensive; lodging and food really add up on land vacation. Of course, many people add on a few land days before or after to get the best of both.

NCL-A previously sailed a few ships, but they lost money (higher wages and shorter hours for crew added up to a loss?). So they removed all but one ship. If you do a search for POA (the only remaining NCL-A ship) on the NCL forum you will find lots of opinions.

JMO

We have gone to Hawaii on our own a few times and saw a lot more of the islands than when we did a cruise a couple of years ago. You don't spend enough hours in a port to do take various tours -- barely can do one or two in a port.

If you have the time -- go and stay on each island at least 3 or 4 days and really see the islands.

IMO the best way would be to take at least a couple of weeks and fly to Honolulu, spend a few days on Oahu, take the 7 days interisland cruise, then spend a few days on another island or two before flying home.

The problem with the cruises from the west coast is it's cold for the first 2-3 days out of CA, then cold again on the last 2-3 days. Princess for example has 2 week round trip cruises, yet you only spend FOUR days in Hawaii!

IMO the best way would be to take at least a couple of weeks and fly to Honolulu, spend a few days on Oahu, take the 7 days interisland cruise, then spend a few days on another island or two before flying home.

The problem with the cruises from the west coast is it's cold for the first 2-3 days out of CA, then cold again on the last 2-3 days. Princess for example has 2 week round trip cruises, yet you only spend FOUR days in Hawaii!

Yes, but it's still a fantastic cruise. It has plenty of sea days on the beautiful Pacific and Princess has plenty of activities, if you want to keep busy. We did this cruise during the holiday time 05/06 and want to do it again sometime in the next few years.

If you haven't been to Hawaii, it'll give you a good taste so you can return for a land trip to the island or islands that you really liked. If you have a problem with flying, it's a great way to see at least some of Hawaii.

Hello,

A few of you are missing the point. Sure, it is always better to spend more time in ports and this includes Hawaii. My wife and I have been to Hawaii five times. We stayed in condos on our first trip. The last three visits have included a cruise. In my opinion (though I am sure that no cares about my opinion) you can have a great time on an Hawaiian cruise and see quite a lot of each island, if you do some research and planning. One of the keys is to rent a car on each island.

Seeing Hawaii from a cruise ship, is a very special travel experience. Our most recent Hawaiian cruise was in October of 2008 and among several unforgettable experiences was leaving Honolulu on an absolutely beautiful afternnoon about 5:00 PM. Seeing the city off in the distance and Diamond Head as the ship headed out to sea, really cannot be replicated by a land tour.

Yes' date=' but it's still a fantastic cruise. It has plenty of sea days on the beautiful Pacific and Princess has plenty of activities, if you want to keep busy. We did this cruise during the holiday time 05/06 and want to do it again sometime in the next few years.

If you haven't been to Hawaii, it'll give you a good taste so you can return for a land trip to the island or islands that you really liked. If you have a problem with flying, it's a great way to see at least some of Hawaii.[/quote']

If you have lots of time and live near So CA, Princess from LA sounds a relaxing way to see a little bit HI without flying. But many people don't have that much time and most would have to fly to LA anyway. And then they can't add extra days in HI before or after. Since I love sea days, I may try that LA cruise someday, but flying straight to HI seems like a more practical way to see the islands for most people.

I guess that's why many people who live in Florida go on many Caribbean cruises. It's convenient. But doesn't make it any less scenic or a vacation, does it?

And if you're lucky enough to be on a Hawaiian cruise and sail at just the right time and in the right direction, you can enjoy the active volcano at night. Incredible view.

Hello,

I am sure that the Hawaii Touism organizations do not need my help but whether you go on a cruise or not, a visit to Hawaii is a wonderful travel experience. In particular, it is where the east meets the west. It is both interesting and pleasing to see an American city as prosperous and well run as Honolulu. And what do Alaska and Hawaii have in common...the friendliest, nicest people you can ever hope to meet.

A very informative thread. By the time we will consider Hawaii, we will have experienced 13 cruises. We are lucky enough to cruise long cruises twice a year and love sea days. When we go to Hawaii -- which we have visited -- it will be by ship from the West Coast.

I have been following with some concern the diminishing availability of such sailings. By the time we are ready, there may be no more much choice. We'd like to depart from San Diego, perhaps going there a day early because it's one fabulous city. The descent over roof-tops to the mid-city airport is straight out of a suspense movie! I particularly love Point Loma jutting out into the sea. So peaceful. It's got all kinds of birds and vegetation of succulants straight out of South Africa. Indeed, most of San Diego is man-made because in its natural state, documented in the local history museum in Balboa Park, the place would look a bit like Tijuana.

We prefer cruises to land vacation. We go for interesting itineraries and love sea days; for us the ship is a destination. Can't beat the cost. We have never understood people who rush from place to another thinking they cover the stop during a short cruise stop. When we go to Hawaii, we'll rent a car and drive around for several hours, getting an idea of the place.

If you have lots of time and live near So CA, Princess from LA sounds a relaxing way to see a little bit HI without flying. But many people don't have that much time and most would have to fly to LA anyway. And then they can't add extra days in HI before or after. Since I love sea days, I may try that LA cruise someday, but flying straight to HI seems like a more practical way to see the islands for most people.

If you live in Wisconsin you don't live anywhere near a port. Do you not go to Florida to go to the Caribbean?

I did a fifteen day cruise on HAL's Zaandam out of San Diego in October. The ocean waves wern't any different then you would find in the Caribbean. The Zaandam has a clear canopy over the pool and was in use the first three days which were overcast. You spend five days getting there, five days in Hawaii and then five days coming back. My wife and I loved the five days of sailing as it let us wind down from stressful jobs. I can't speak about the 14 day Princess cruise out of LA, but I highly recommend the HAL cruise if you have the time.

I have been to Hawaii twice before by flying there. I would say if you're in your early 40's or younger you might not want to go by ship, but if you're in your late 40's or older, cruising is the only way I would go now.

Having cruised r/t LA-Hawaii twice with Princess, and going again in March, I can say that this a "best of both worlds" way to do it.

All the lovely relaxing sea days going to and from Hawaii, with port days in the Islands in between is wonderful. On the Hawaii port days, a morning excursion each day, followed by time to wander on one's own, provides the opportunity to get a nice taste of each island.

This does not appeal to some, but for us, and thousands of others who take these cruises repeatedly, it's a wonderful vacation.

If you live in Wisconsin you don't live anywhere near a port. Do you not go to Florida to go to the Caribbean?

I did a fifteen day cruise on HAL's Zaandam out of San Diego in October. The ocean waves wern't any different then you would find in the Caribbean. The Zaandam has a clear canopy over the pool and was in use the first three days which were overcast. You spend five days getting there, five days in Hawaii and then five days coming back. My wife and I loved the five days of sailing as it let us wind down from stressful jobs. I can't speak about the 14 day Princess cruise out of LA, but I highly recommend the HAL cruise if you have the time.

I have been to Hawaii twice before by flying there. I would say if you're in your early 40's or younger you might not want to go by ship, but if you're in your late 40's or older, cruising is the only way I would go now.

We have many nearby lovely ports on the Great Lakes, but I'm not expecting any cruiseships to home port here:o. So, of course I fly from Wisconsin. And don't most people fly to their departure port? That was my point. When Cruisin' chick says of the LA RT "If you have a problem with flying, it's a great way to see at least some of Hawaii", only a small portion of the population can do this trip without flying.

I can understand that you only want to cruise to HI, but I don't understand why you are generalizing to everyone late 40's and older. Loads of late 40's+ people on planes all over the world, many for long flights going to their destinations. Not to mention most of our higher level business and political figures. I'm not an HAL fan--different strokes. Princess' RT sounds like a relaxing trip, and I may take it someday. But if someone has 2 weeks to see the islands, they will see much more of Hawaii by flying there for a land vacation, cruise, or combination.

As pointed out above, Norwegian Cruise Lines' Pride of America is the ONLY option for cruising the Hawaiian Islands FROM the islands.

I've done the research, read the reviews, and read many, many hundreds (thousands?) of posts from NCL lovers about why they love NCL. More important, I've noted what they don't like about other lines. I've decided NCL is not for me. The things most NCL lovers dislike about other cruise lines seem to be the things I like best.

If the possibility of rough seas is the only thing holding you back from cruising from the mainland, then simply pick a non-balcony, lower deck midship cabin. An inside is a good idea on this itinerary, and saves money. (While I love balconies, a mere window does nothing for me, so I go with insides. YMMV.)

The two southern California return choices are Golden Princess and HAL Zaandam (unless you're up for a longer cruise, like 33 nights on Rotterdam.)

Personally, I love the idea of a repositioning Hawaii cruise, from or to Vancouver. Those itineraries give you more days in the islands, and don't have PVSA problems.

Hi Naples, Princess several months ago announced 22 Royal Princess cruises with interesting itins. Some include both HA. and Tahiti. One can start the Royals S.Pacific season cruising over from Vancouver, also returning to Vancouver for their Alaska season 2011.

We have many nearby lovely ports on the Great Lakes, but I'm not expecting any cruiseships to home port here:o. So, of course I fly from Wisconsin. And don't most people fly to their departure port? That was my point. When Cruisin' chick says of the LA RT "If you have a problem with flying, it's a great way to see at least some of Hawaii", only a small portion of the population can do this trip without flying.

I can understand that you only want to cruise to HI, but I don't understand why you are generalizing to everyone late 40's and older. Loads of late 40's+ people on planes all over the world, many for long flights going to their destinations. Not to mention most of our higher level business and political figures. I'm not an HAL fan--different strokes. Princess' RT sounds like a relaxing trip, and I may take it someday. But if someone has 2 weeks to see the islands, they will see much more of Hawaii by flying there for a land vacation, cruise, or combination.

I didn't say anything about flying, where did you get that?

So it's ok to take a two week cruise to the Caribbean and spend a day at each island, rather then fly to an island and spend a week there, but it's not ok to cruise to Hawaii because you won't see much? What's the difference?

I probably shouldn't have put an age on it. Things I did in my 20's & 30's I no longer do. Either because I phyically can no longer do them or they don't interest me any longer. Most people that go to Hawaii by ship are either retired or can get the vacation time off. If you can only get a week off then cruising from California isn't going to work. It's not for everybody. I believe the OP didn't say how much time they had, just that they were affraid of the ocean voyage part of it. I don't think most people who cruise to Hawaii from California do it because they hate to fly, it's because it's so relaxing.

Archived