Concierge - list of services provided?

Sailkeywest

It is late, and I suppose that I could call HAL directly tomorrow with this question, but I have been searching to find out exactly what services that the 'concierge' provides. Specifically, do I need to either go up to or call the Neptune Lounge to get in touch with them? Also, am I expected to tip them seperately, and if so, what is a standard rate?

What I am looking for is someone to get me booked for spa services for the times that I would like, possibly get me booked for the thermal suites and spa for the days that we would like, and to have high tea and Hors d'œuvres sent up to our cabin/suite at regular times each day.

In addition, I most would like to have a special dinner set up in our suite for our 10th anniversary, complete with linens/glassware/etc. Do they normally set up for dinner in a suite, or is that possible to arrange? Sortof like Princess's version of the UBD (ultimate balcony dinner).

Thank you, as always, for any input and insight. :)

Safe travels!

P.S. Sorry if this is a redundant question, but I haven't been able to find these answers so far from googling. :P

We always stop in the Neptune Lounge to meet Concierge shortly after boarding. If we have special requests or want appointments/reservations, we mention them at that time. Concierge can do all of the things you have mentioned in your post. :)

Happy Anniversary.

When you go into the Neptune lounge the first time the concierge will probably already call you by your names! They are so good. We don't usually bombard them with requests right off but instead do it slowly. Personally, for the spa, I would just go there in person and put in your appointment times right at the spa. However, if you prefer the concierge to do it for you they will.

For the high tea you can ask the concierge and they will arrange all that for you. We only had the high tea delivered to our room once just to enjoy it. We preferred popping into the Neptune lounge for the hors d'oeuvres and meeting other guests and sitting in the lounge but up to you.

For your special dinner I would for sure ask them either the first day or evening to arrange that for you.

At the end, we gave a separate tip in an envelope and handed it personally to the concierge...up to you the amount.

Enjoy ...I know you will!!

I'm sure you'll make your dinner request clear to the concierge....but I was told to ask for "course by course" room service.

On Zuiderdam almost 2 years ago, this was amazing. A dining captain came and introduced our personal waiter. The waiter stayed with us all evening, and a second shuttled the food to us.

We'll never forget Roadtown, Tortola BVI - it was a unique and perfect evening.

Thank you all for the input, much appreciated! -- I will definitely have to look into that "course by course" service. :) As for tipping, I really have no idea how much is appropriate, as it isn't like tipping when going out to a restaurant? *not sure*

Most all of our vacations have been on land, tipping is much easier there. :P

You didn't mention whoch type of suite you are in.

If you are in the PS, SA, SB or SC -- you do have use of the Neptune Lounge where you can go and talk with them -- they can make reservations for you for the spa, Pinnacle, etc. They can make all the arrangments for you to have dinner in your cabin. They can also book shore excursions for you. You need to arrange tea and appetizers before noon.

If you are in an SS, SY or SZ you have the use of the telephone concierges who can also do this for you.

As to tipping -- this is a personal matter.

It depends on how much you use them. We have found that if we use one more than the other one, we will tip that one more.

If you have a problem or need something just call them or stop in and discuss it with them. There isn't a lot they can't do.

Last trip from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver the front office noted that our flight reservations were at 1 pm and we did not dock until 12 noon. The neptune staff contacted us about it and they called my TA and betweent ehme they coordinated overnight hotel for us and new airline tickets. Service with a Capital S

Ruth & Jim

Krazy -- It's SC 5191, the starboard aft side which I have been agonizing over (part of me wants to switch to port).

I made the switch from Princess to HAL after drooling over HAL's pics of their verandas/bathrooms (but I am currently double booked and dreading making that call to Princess :P). The shower in my Princess cabin made me shudder, and the Princess suites were a little out of my reach (2k more expensive). The corner aft cabin that I reserved on Princess pales in comparison to the suite that I got on HAL. Also, the corner aft cabins/suite balconies on Princess do not wrap around. And don't forget those beds, I was so tired of reading the "eggcrate" threads! (ok I am rambling off topic :P)

I have never had a suite before, so was basically curious as to what Concierges do for you. :)

And Jim, thanks for the tip about them helping you with flight plans, hopefully we won't have to ask them for help in that department!

On the Ryndam Alaska cruise (8/08) we had a surprising experience! As we passed the Neptune Lounge to go to our suite we heard a very cheerful voice say, "Welcome aboard Mr. & Mrs. Nagle." Regina, the concierge at that time, viewed our pictures as we boarded and knew us by name immediately! That was just the beginning of a wonderful week, enhanced by HAL crew members. How's that for service?

Kathie

It's such a wonderful, friendly way to board.... The concierges try hard to recognize all suite guests faces from ID photos. On "S" and "R" Class ships, it 'do-able'. Awfully hard on Vista/Eurodam.

We've only cruised HAL twice, both on Vista-class ships, and on both occasions we were called by the name the first time we entered the NL. You will be so spoiled by the concierges (and the rest of the crew)! The only downside to cruising HAL is re-entry to the real world once your cruise is over, is hard! We felt so special the whole time. :)

I understand why people cruise HAL over and over again. We've met many crew members from those cruises and we're anxious to cruise again and hopefully we will run into some of them again. I know HAL is a big corporation, but the crew will make you feel welcome and will do anything to make your cruise a good one.

Enjoy!

just booked an SA suite - first time

you can order appetizers each day before dinner.

Yes, You can also order them at one time for the entire cruise. Specify the time you want, what you want and they will be there.

What do they offer - hot and/or cold appetizers?

Both hot and cold. Hubby always ordered at least 2 shrimp cocktails also.

I assume your order this through the Neptune Lounge

Yes

I think the pampering will cause me to book SA from now on

You are so right!!! You will always want to get at least a Deluxe Verandah Suite. But, even if you do not, you will still love the cruise, no matter what stateroom you are in!!

Joanie

Your concierge can place the daily order for your hors d'ouerves if you wish. You can have a combination of both hot and cold hors d'ouerves. The selection of hot varies by night. Whatever they are serving in the lounges that night is what they will bring.

Might be meatballs, chicken wings, bitterballen, jalepeno poppers (do they still serve them?), mini quiches , chicken nugget, etc etc etc

just booked an SA suite - first time

you can order appetizers each day before dinner.

What do they offer - hot and/or cold appetizers?

I assume your order this through the Neptune Lounge

I think the pampering will cause me to book SA from now on

You need to order your appetizers before Noon.

You can order hot -- cold -- mixture -- whatever you like.

The concierges will be able to give you a list of what is available.

This is a list of the hot appetizers from one of our 10 day cruises:

Not all of these hot & cold appetizers are available on all ships:

Usually 4 are served each evening.

Cream cheese wheel with pistachio & apricott on cracker

Bay shrimp with lime herb mayonnaise in tartlet

Bitterballen with mustard sauce

Breaded & fried salmon nuggets

Blue cheese mousse with celery & walnuts

Jumbo prawn with zesty lime cocktail sauce on white toast round

Coconut breaded shrimp

Duck spring rolls with Teriyaki sauce

Baby shrimp salad with mango cilantro in tartlet