Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

We came back from our Easter cruise and I am still a worker bee so I had to go back to work. We will be visiting our son and family including a new baby in July in San Antonio. We were planning to then take a cruise out of Galveston after the visit but our 25 year old furnace and air conditioner gave out so cruising will have to wait until next year.

Bummer about the HVAC, but I guess after 25 yrs........maybe the new one will be so much more efficient you can use the energy savings to pay for a cruise;)

Enjoy your new grandchild!

The thing that really kicked me into serious retirement thought was the Panama Canal Cruise we took 2 years ago. We went from New York to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal on Norwegian Jewel. The ship was to continue to San Francisco, Vancouver, and Alaska. As we watched the ocean go by, I said to my husband "give me one good reason I shouldn't go down to the bursar and see if we can't continue." He said "work." It hit me like a ton of bricks. We are still in that funny "just retired" place where we're trying to get the finances settled down, but we're getting there. And happily.

The thing that really kicked me into serious retirement thought was the Panama Canal Cruise we took 2 years ago. We went from New York to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal on Norwegian Jewel. The ship was to continue to San Francisco, Vancouver, and Alaska. As we watched the ocean go by, I said to my husband "give me one good reason I shouldn't go down to the bursar and see if we can't continue." He said "work." It hit me like a ton of bricks. We are still in that funny "just retired" place where we're trying to get the finances settled down, but we're getting there. And happily.

I'm taking my first repo cruise for 14 days in October. Next week Orange Beach, Alabama for 10 days with son, DL, and 3 kids. Life is good!!!!;):)

Deb

I see hoya in your screen name. Did you go to Georgetown?

Yes. I attended Nursing School at Georgetown, and just retired from the hospital. :) Laura

I live in Silver Spring, MD. My husband was in Georgetown Hospital twice after having viral encephalitis. I have had a few students graduate from the University. My son and daughter-in-law are both nurses and went to Marquette University.

I live in Silver Spring, MD. My husband was in Georgetown Hospital twice after having viral encephalitis. I have had a few students graduate from the University. My son and daughter-in-law are both nurses and went to Marquette University.

Small world. I'm in Alexandria. My daughter lives in Gaithersburg, I'm originally from the Chicago area, and my niece lives in Milwaukee.

Small world. I'm in Alexandria. My daughter lives in Gaithersburg, I'm originally from the Chicago area, and my niece lives in Milwaukee.

We are originally from Milwaukee, moved to Maryland 28 years ago. My son and his family (the nurses) live in Chicago. My son works at Rush and my daughter-in-law works at Children's.

I seen where Deb was going to Orange Beach with son and family for several days. This reminded me of something.

My sons and d-i-l's all know I am planning on retiring next year,and that we needed to plan on the 8 of us cruising all together. My friend and I had just got off the Splendor a few weeks ago, and I was showing my son some of my pictures. When my son seen the pictures of the big theatre, minature golf, etc. that I told him the ship had, he was dumbfounded. He couldn't believe all that went on, without any extra COST. :) Yes, that is a plus.

I seen where Deb was going to Orange Beach with son and family for several days. This reminded me of something.

My sons and d-i-l's all know I am planning on retiring next year,and that we needed to plan on the 8 of us cruising all together. My friend and I had just got off the Splendor a few weeks ago, and I was showing my son some of my pictures. When my son seen the pictures of the big theatre, minature golf, etc. that I told him the ship had, he was dumbfounded. He couldn't believe all that went on, without any extra COST. :) Yes, that is a plus.

I agree with you! But they have 3 kids 6, 2 1/2, and 5 month old, so someone would have to baby sit a lot..lol. Going for 10 days we plan on each taking turns watching them. I love those babies so no problem for me watching them part of the time. But I will get my alone time when I want it..like walking on the beach, sitting under an umbrella sipping an alcoholic drink for sure, and a bit of shopping. We have done this already with the first 2 kids last year. When they are older, cruising will definitely be an option.;)

Deb

536 working days and counting, world cruise on the way.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Good for you!!! If you check the beginning date of this thread it started a long time ago. I loved postings how many hump days we had left and work issues..lol..none now!! You will get there and it will be great!!!:):)

Deb

Ziacruising, I would love to take my grandchildren cruising along with us 8 adults, but there are "15" grandchildren, and that can be very expensive. They range from the age of 24 to 6. I have the older ones may not go, but it is expensive with that many, no matter what. I'm going to see if I can get a discount for the 8 of us, when we do our trip. Doesn't hurt to ask, does it?:)

Just back 4/25 from our 2 week BTB on the Jewel of the Seas......I retired in 12/13 and the cruise was to celebrate DH joining me....his first day of retirement was this past Friday....we made it!!!

Ziacruising, I would love to take my grandchildren cruising along with us 8 adults, but there are "15" grandchildren, and that can be very expensive. They range from the age of 24 to 6. I have the older ones may not go, but it is expensive with that many, no matter what. I'm going to see if I can get a discount for the 8 of us, when we do our trip. Doesn't hurt to ask, does it?:)

Beshears-- you might be able to work out a "tour group," which, if I recall some of what I've read, get you a "free" room as part of the deal as the organizer, thereby reducing the total per-person cost. Aside from that, some of the cruiselines put together promotions from time to time where the 3rd and 4th guests stay free in a room. Not my cup of tea to have "extras" with my husband and me, but 2 older kids in a room, with a couple of younger ones in a connecting room with adults might work. Just my 2 cents.

536 working days and counting, world cruise on the way.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

As Deb said, this thread goes way back, and we enjoyed our countdown time here. Try not to spend to much time planning your world cruise while at work;):D

Just back 4/25 from our 2 week BTB on the Jewel of the Seas......I retired in 12/13 and the cruise was to celebrate DH joining me....his first day of retirement was this past Friday....we made it!!!

Congrats to both of you, no finer way to celebrate your retirements than with a celebratory cruise. We both retired this past January, but are waiting until October for our cruise!

BTW, Happy Hump Day to all who are either counting down (or not :D).

Just returned from an air/land 'cruise' to Texas Hill Country. Really pretty this time of year. Now getting ready to take the RV out for a couple days next week, then a longer land cruise with it later this month and next to Idaho and Oregon.

Retirement is great!

Gave my retirement notice this past Monday. DH retired 7 years ago at the age of 52. My day has finally come at just short of age 59. Now, we can cruise whenever we want.

A round the world cruise at retirement was always my dream until DH wondered why I wouldn't rather break it up and go on more cruises. I liked that idea and actually did Leg 1 in 2012.

I have been teaching for 34 years. I have been in my current school for 27 years. One of my former students taught in this school with me. I have had two former students have their children in my class. Yesterday, one of my former students came to do a weather program at my school. She is one of the weather persons on Channel 7 in DC. Today I have to go to the funeral of another students who died and was in his mid twenties. In 2016, my daughter plans to have my granddaughter start kindergarten in my school which was also where my daughter attended. When I started teaching, I never thought of all the life connects that teaching would led to.