Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Read52, yes it is amazing how life connects.:)

My twins were able to go to Kindergarden in the same school that I went to, and I was hoping they could go through the other grades, but we moved away. At least the twins and I had the SAME Kindergarden class room.:)

Grandchild no. 6 was born yesterday. A boy who weight 8 lbs. 1 oz. and was 20 inches. We will not forget his birthday-----5/15/15.

Congrats to you and the proud parents, welcome to the world Oliver.

We don't have any gkids yet, maybe someday.......

Congrats to you and the proud parents, welcome to the world Oliver.

We don't have any gkids yet, maybe someday.......

My oldest son was married for 6 years and we thought that we would never have grandchildren. Then our younger son had one, then the older son had one and then our younger son had another so in a 1 1/2 years we had 3. Then a few years later, our daughter got married and had 2 more. After 6 years of no babies our middle son had Oliver.

Read52, yes your grandchild being born on that date, that doesn't happen very often.

My first grandchild of "15" just graduated yesterday. It was go GREAT to have NICE weather. All we have had here in Missouri is rain, rain, rain, rain, and Saturday night, flooding, and tornados, but at least yesterday was a beautiful sunny day for graduation.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Everyone must be on cruises since the post has been slow. Hope everyone is enjoying themselves.

I am now in between trips. Next up - July 30 trip which includes 2 transatlantics. Now trying to get some closets cleaned out. Thought for sure that all cleaning would be done by now. But loving the ability to not worry about getting things done quickly. :)

I am now in between trips. Next up - July 30 trip which includes 2 transatlantics. Now trying to get some closets cleaned out. Thought for sure that all cleaning would be done by now. But loving the ability to not worry about getting things done quickly. :)

How are you doing 2 transaltlantics? I want to know in case I plan one. Does that mean you don't fly over the Atlantic??? My next one is the 10 day partial Panama Canal cruise. Isn't it nice being retired!! I'm not tired any more!!!:)

Deb

Edited by zlacruising

Well, I am not retiring but I am making a change to what I have been doing for the last 18 years. Hey, Debbie I am going to teach third grade next year(and for the next couple of years). It means moving two rooms down from where I am now but I have been in that room before. The good thing is that my husband has been after me to start cleaning out my own stuff in preparation for retirement and I have been putting it off. I have been in this room for 15 years so I have been throwing things out like crazy. Several different teachers have been in my new room so I will have to get in and really scrub down the whole room. Of course since it is a private school, my husband and I will be moving everything except my desk and filing cabinets. My new partner has been at this school for 12 years and she is 68 so I will be the young one at this grade level.

Well, I am not retiring but I am making a change to what I have been doing for the last 18 years. Hey, Debbie I am going to teach third grade next year(and for the next couple of years). It means moving two rooms down from where I am now but I have been in that room before. The good thing is that my husband has been after me to start cleaning out my own stuff in preparation for retirement and I have been putting it off. I have been in this room for 15 years so I have been throwing things out like crazy. Several different teachers have been in my new room so I will have to get in and really scrub down the whole room. Of course since it is a private school, my husband and I will be moving everything except my desk and filing cabinets. My new partner has been at this school for 12 years and she is 68 so I will be the young one at this grade level.

I know that is a lot of work (been there, done that) but it is fun fixing up a new classroom. I think third would be a good grade level. I taught second so in third they will be independent. Let me know how it goes!!

Deb

I know that is a lot of work (been there, done that) but it is fun fixing up a new classroom. I think third would be a good grade level. I taught second so in third they will be independent. Let me know how it goes!!

Deb

Well, I just spent a week cleaning my new room ( there is a bit more to do in that area) and sorting through and moving things I want to keep from my old room. It will be another week of the same before I finish. I am picky about things being clean. Trying to remove duct tape glue from all kinds of places in my new room. Kevin put in shelves in my closet and will be painting some book shelves in my new room. Oh, well the joys of teaching.

Hey Debbie, my oldest grandson is going to skip second grade. During first grade he was put on a computer many times throughout the school year because he was so far ahead of the other students in math and language arts.

They tested him in science and social studies too. He got a 98% on science ( he takes after his grandma). A new school in their subdivision will be opening in the fall so this is the best time to move him. I told my son that he still has to watch for other pitfalls like when his friends turn 16 and are driving and he can't.

Hey Debbie, my oldest grandson is going to skip second grade. During first grade he was put on a computer many times throughout the school year because he was so far ahead of the other students in math and language arts.

They tested him in science and social studies too. He got a 98% on science ( he takes after his grandma). A new school in their subdivision will be opening in the fall so this is the best time to move him. I told my son that he still has to watch for other pitfalls like when his friends turn 16 and are driving and he can't.

Wow!! That is great!!! Where I am from, they won't let students skip grades. They have a talented and gifted program for the advanced kids. He sounds extremely smart! Did you finish your classroom?

Deb

I agree. I have had students who skipped a grade or two. The social/emotional gaps become larger among peers. This is where the problems can arise. Some kids handle this very well -- others not so much. I would just caution his parents to keep in close contact with his teachers to make sure he continues to do well. But congratulations. It is quite unusual for schools to allow this since there are other ways to meet individual student needs. Your grandson must be quite exceptional. :)

Edited by Lady Hudson

I agree. I have had students who skipped a grade or two. The social/emotional gaps become larger among peers. This is where the problems can arise. Some kids handle this very well -- others not so much. I would just caution his parents to keep in close contact with his teachers to make sure he continues to do well. But congratulations. It is quite unusual for schools to allow this since there are other ways to meet individual student needs. Your grandson must be quite exceptional. :)

My grandson lives in a different state so I don't see him on a regular basis. When he was here at Thanksgiving, I gave him several books. He read one of Diary of a Wimpy Kid books in a few hours. I asked him several questions about the story and he knew the answers. But they were also dealing with ADHD too. So at the meeting to talk about ADHD the school also mentioned the idea of taking the tests and moving up a grade. He is doing well on his meds. After talking with the counselor, his teacher, principal, and me the decided to move him. My son and his mother are divorced and both remarried.

Hi all retirees! Congrats on completing the rat race!

I have a quick (and a little nosy) question for you all. So many of you seem to have retired "early" (meaning before being old enough to qualify for Medicare). I'm contemplating retiring within a year (at 62 1/2, give or take), and my only concern is what to do about health insurance for the ensuing 3 years and still be able to afford to cruise. Surely you can't all have your health insurance being covered by your previous employers, in this day and age of relatively benefit-stingy employers?

There is no precedence here at my work, so I really have no one to ask. (we're a very young company - average age in the 30's), and only 2 other people (both over 65) have ever retired from here. I don't even know anyone outside of work who has retired early and had to pick up their own insurance.

Help!?

:confused:

I retired at 62 and my insurance was continued with the school board. (Former teacher) With that being said they still take $600 out of my check which I was paying when I was working. I do know some people I have talked to that said they were working until 65 because their insurance wouldn't cover them after retirement.

Deb

Happy Hump day for those still counting down to retirement. It's great when the day finally arrives. Retired in April, however after 6 weeks I returned to work 2 days a week on a project. Easing out slowly while keeping the cruise coffers topped up☺

Hi all retirees! Congrats on completing the rat race!

I have a quick (and a little nosy) question for you all. So many of you seem to have retired "early" (meaning before being old enough to qualify for Medicare). I'm contemplating retiring within a year (at 62 1/2, give or take), and my only concern is what to do about health insurance for the ensuing 3 years and still be able to afford to cruise. Surely you can't all have your health insurance being covered by your previous employers, in this day and age of relatively benefit-stingy employers?

There is no precedence here at my work, so I really have no one to ask. (we're a very young company - average age in the 30's), and only 2 other people (both over 65) have ever retired from here. I don't even know anyone outside of work who has retired early and had to pick up their own insurance.

Help!?

:confused:

Sorry, can't help since my district is covering me until 65 -- only a little over a year total since retirement. But . . . I do know that researching thoroughly your options is essential. Maybe make some phone calls to some insurance agencies? And always be sure to get second, third opinions. Good luck.

Edited by Lady Hudson