Residency Discounts -- Who get's em?

lacruiser

Our M&M thread has been discussing a residency discount here lately, and several of us have wondered how they decide which states get those discounts. Anyone have any insight into that process? All I know is that Louisiana never seems to get one!:rolleyes:

Have no idea how states are selected. Seems totally random. Just check often as sometimes those rates last weeks and sometimes hours! I have gotten many residency, senior and military rates in the past 2 or 3 years and for some future cruises. I check all my reservations at least once a day.

We do!!! Our upcoming November cruise....we have gotten a senior discount a residency discount and then a week later another residency discount. Guess they are having trouble filling the ship. Whatever....my 4 night Monarch cruise is costing pennies compared to two nights in New Smyrna Beach a couple weekends ago. Cruising is the best!

I have NO idea how they decide. I got an awesome residency rate on a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise at the end of October. Assumed it was because I am sailing out of Los Angeles and I live in California. But I looked up Caribbean cruises sailing out of various Florida ports and saw that for some of those I could have gotten a residency rate also. So really, it makes no sense at all!! :eek:

It does seem Random, we got a residency rate leaving out of LA for a Feb cruise. Live in WA. However, the rate was only for a junior suite, which was ok because with two adults and two kids the suite became $450 less then a oceanview balcony which we were going to get in the first place.

We got one and we are in RI. The Explorer cruise out of Bayonne, NJ has many NY and New England pax, so I figured they tried to entice more "local" passengers when the trip isn't selling well. I've never gotten a residency rate before, but then I usually sail out of Florida.

Hello... are these resident discount rates shown when you search for a cruise on the actual website along with the military and senior discount? I mean is that the area you are seeing them?? Only because I have not seen any rates reflecting a resident discount yet? Thanks

Yes, same place where you put in if you're a senior or a police/military/fire type.

Like the rest I am unsure how this is decided.

Being a Miami, FL resident we are accustomed to getting resident discounts on attractions (Disney, Bush Gardens, so forth) and cruises. The idea being is we are probably more likely to book right away since we don't have to deal with airfare and so forth. Being a 5 minute drive from the Port of Miami helps.

No clue either but I did get one for our thanksgiving cruise that was major. We live in Chicago so I couldn't believe we would get a residency rate for IL but who am I to question a good thing. :D

Wow, there's hope for me then. I, too, am from Chicago and I have booked next Thanksgiving. I didn't think there would be any discounts for such a popular week.

Almost every time I've checked prices with SC as my state, there has been a discount.

I thought it might have to do with the cruise line trying to get as diverse a crowd as possible. Who knows, as long as I see a lower rate (which could also be a gimmick in itself :D )

CA and FL get them a lot, as does NY. Canadians rarely see them, however. I've seen 3 cruises where Canadians were given a residency rate, but I have never sailed on a cruise that had one.

I somehow got a residency discount for a Bahama cruise when I live in Canada. But, didn't get a discount when I went on HAL to Alaska from Vancouver. I live a 10 minute walk from the Vancouver terminal. Go figure.

We got a residency discount on Azamara last February and we are having one on the first leg of our b2b on AOS in December. I'm waiting for the residency discount on the second leg... :rolleyes:

Gerry

I can't figure them out. Never have seen one for NE. Trying not to whine here but I don't understand why we have never gotton one in 10 cruises. I know Florida has one for our upcoming cruise because I tried and put in FL. I understand that they are trying to fill ships but those of us who live in other states than FL would like a break also. Do only people from FL choose to cruise after final payment is due?

We had one for our Feb 2010 cruise. We are from Massachusetts. But you have to be careful. I was looking for a price drop and noticed that the resident rate was still the same, but the regular rate had gone down from $529 for the 3rd and 4th passenger to $135 for the same. So make sure you check both it might be worth it!

Archived